Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MINI TUG TOWING  (Read 6559 times)

JIM WORNER

• Full Mayhemer
  • Not me chief : Engines
MINI TUG TOWING
« on: December 03, 2009, 11:12:24 pm »

Because I am getting old , lifting big tugs out and in has got to be a pain. Soo at at the autumn Thornwick model week we did some experiments with small tug towing.  The results were sufficiently encouraging to lead to there being a towing regatta in next springs model week. Rules are simple, tug length plus beam a max of 24 inches. Single screw, single plate rudder up to 1.5 inch area. Model to look like a traditional tug.  There are a number of kits out there which qualify, and I hear that Mobile Marine may have a hull coming out that will fit. Or of course you can scratch build.  We were towing a 36" Flying Drake with a little Graupner tug.  Why not have a play.  Any comments or questions welcome.  Jim Worner

Haarek

Re: MINI TUG TOWING
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 11:02:08 am »

I think this is a good idea as i have the dumas Carol moran which is a brilliant little tug.  My carol is built with a geared robbe 380 motor and a 6v 4ah battery giving plenty of power (it almost planes) to bad tug towing isnt popular here in norway.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 02:07:36 pm »

RTR Southampon comes in at 30"
RTR Sea Port tug  = 32 1/2"
Billing Hosa = 30"
Springers = 26"

Deans Marine Dante and Mastif are OK =  17"
Graupner FUCHS = 19"
Graupner Pollux 18 1/2"
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tony52

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 07:01:55 pm »

Thought these Tug plans from the USA may be of interest.

http://modelplans.steamboats.org/tugs.html

The 'Esso Honduras' (27.5" x 8.75") is a gem. She is featured in Nov/Dec 2009 'Ships in Scale' magazine. The original model dates back to 1955, plans recently updated and re-released.

Pale Horse

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 10:10:59 am »

to bad tug towing isnt popular here in norway.

I sent you a PM a few days ago, but i don't if it works right.  I live in Oslo and would like to do some tug towing.  Where in Norway do you liv?  If you are close enough, we should build a barge and bring our small tugs.

Tore

Haarek

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 09:40:13 am »

I sent you a PM a few days ago, but i don't if it works right.  I live in Oslo and would like to do some tug towing.  Where in Norway do you liv?  If you are close enough, we should build a barge and bring our small tugs.

Tore

I did get your pm and answered it.  I live in skien and think it's a good idea to meet and do some tugging together.  I have the Robbe Neptune and Dumas Carol  Moran ready for duty, what bots do you have?

Hans

Baz

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 04:44:57 pm »

Jim I'm with you on this one, :-)) have got a MMM Rowangarth and it is a 2 man lift cant bring myself to get rid of it as it is a fantastic boat all round. But a small tug towing contest would be great, I for one will be up for a go. Only drawback I can imagine is distance of travel to venue with todays cost of fuel as I live in the North. <:(

Pale Horse

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 08:49:31 am »

I did get your pm and answered it.  I live in skien and think it's a good idea to meet and do some tugging together.  I have the Robbe Neptune and Dumas Carol  Moran ready for duty, what bots do you have?

I didn't get the answer, but I sent you another one with my mail adress so then we can do the planning via e-mail.

The Antipodean

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 10:20:42 pm »

Would a 1/24 scale lighterage tug work at all as there is a number of plans out there for them, as well as the Bantam tugs. Kingston Mouldings has a hull that can be "adapted" for them and they can take a huge power plant as they have a large displacement to compensate for.

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 12:08:58 am »

Rules are simple, tug length plus beam a max of 24 inches.

When you said 'Mini', i thought you meant really small....

1/2 scale Springer @ 9" x 4"

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 10:53:14 am »

...Good Mornong Guys...

Here is a picture of the smallest working tug that we have in our collection...

I attended a Tug Towing Event at Balne Moor a couple of years ago and was standing at the side of the pond with this tug in my pocket...
One of the Working tugs which was moored in the tug berths had slipped a stern line and was swinging out into the pond...

I took this wee tug out of my pocket. Switched it on and used it to push the stray tug back alongside...I had to do it again for the sake of the many cameras that were then produced as everyone wanted pictures of the real action...

Does anyone have any pictures of this that they can post...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 10:47:13 pm »

I got one of those too Norry,
... they're crap ain't they!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 10:51:21 am »

OK for the bath  O0
Don't Assume Check
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.