Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slo-mo-shun IV by Billing  (Read 3726 times)

masterripp

• Shipmate
Slo-mo-shun IV by Billing
« on: December 02, 2006, 08:53:05 am »

Ok, I am new to the forum gig, so bare with me as I learn as I go. Here are a few pics of the model as it sits. Progress has been slow due to vague instructions, and not-so precise laser cutting. I started this kit in late August of this year, and have been working on it while at sea, so the hobby shop is usually about 3000 miles away. You learn to work with what you have, and where you can.

masterripp

• Shipmate
Re: Slo-mo-shun IV by Billing
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 03:54:43 am »

I am back out to sea so it may be a while before I can continue with the post. I will do what I can.

orby1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Barnsley Boy - gone South
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 11:27:22 am »

Hi Masterripp,
It's interesting to see how you've built your Slo Mo, laying aside the instructions somewhat and getting the bottom on before the planking on the top, etc. I bet it was easier to get those panels under the bow to fit on when you had access to them from the top, it was a right pain for me!  Of course this way will mean that like me you won't be able to epoxy the underside of the planking, however thinking about it that's a small price to pay (considering the outside will be fully waterproofed anyway) for being able to assemble the bottom and make sure it's well and truly stuck properly from the inside.
As you mentioned in my thread, the instructions are very sparse, and as you're experienced and confident enough to 'go your own way' with it a little then go for it!  It will be really good for me to see someone else working at it and getting around the problems I faced, from a slightly different angle.
Good luck on your voyage, and let us know when you've got a little further.
Julian.

masterripp

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 05:49:35 am »

Well, you know what they say; better late than never!! I have been busy working on my career as a yacht Captain which has left me with little time for much of anything else. So my Slo-Mo build has certainly been all of that! The kit has been living in a sealed plastic container and has traveled thousands of miles over the Pacific Ocean. Due to a substantial weather delay in Cabo, the dust has been blown clear and the seal once again broken. Truth of the matter is, I found myself gazing at a bright red Ferrari kit in a hobby shop the other day and as I reached for my wallet to shed off the 400.00 bucks I stopped and told myself that I would not buy another kit until Slo-Mo is launched! Here is what it looked like when I left off; uuhh in December of '06...... ???

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 10:12:50 am »

Hi Masterripp.

There have been a number of long time builds on here, so keep posting and don'e worry if it is going to take a long time.

If you haven't read Orby's thread on his Slo Mo Shun build, you really must. I hope he doesn't mind me saying it has been a long and sometimes difficult journey for Orby, but even seasoned builders have learned something following this build. There has been alot of input from different memebers of the forum as different problems have been overcome. Not least of this was the lack of clear instruction provided with the kit.

Welcome to Mayhem and keep posting.

TT

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

masterripp

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 10:06:19 pm »

Hey TT,
Thanks for the motivation; I have followed Orby's build, I actually posted in the thread a couple of times. I was planning on going through each problem area that he as well as several other builders of this kit have experienced. I was clear from the start of this build that the instructions were going to be used as a rough outline rather that a step by step guide. This is as close to a scratch build than I have ever come and while it's certainly frustrating at times I find it very challenging and even more rewarding as it progresses. I will say, having dealt with Billing products in the past, they missed the boat on this one! I would not recommend this kit to new builders and or builders that don't feel confident in taking it on without instruction. I came to these message boards to answer certain questions, most have been; so I feel like I should (and want to) return the favor. There is another build here by Marksaab that has been completed for the most part, it's worth checking out. I would like to give a shout out to Mark, and say great job! I enjoyed the entire thread, great work.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2471.msg24397#msg24397

I am working out the bugs on my photos and will try to keep up with the build. I am still applying the deck planking, trying to get this perfect. Those of you that have worked with sub-planking or underlayment of any kind know that your final product will only be as good as what's underneath! Here is a shot of the planking as it looked a couple days ago.

masterripp

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 10:50:34 pm »

Well, you know what they say; better late than never!! I have been busy working on my career as a yacht Captain which has left me with little time for much of anything else. So my Slo-Mo build has certainly been all of that! The kit has been living in a sealed plastic container and has traveled thousands of miles over the Pacific Ocean. Due to a substantial weather delay in Cabo, the dust has been blown clear and the seal once again broken. Truth of the matter is, I found myself gazing at a bright red Ferrari kit in a hobby shop the other day and as I reached for my wallet to shed off the 400.00 bucks I stopped and told myself that I would not buy another kit until Slo-Mo is launched! Here is what it looked like when I left off; uuhh in December of '06...... ???

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 11:01:15 am »

Nice build ,mines bigger than yours  {-).This ones gas powered zippkits rockett hydro based on the old thunderboats from 50s-60s.Shes plywood built 48" long 22" wide 26 cc fully modded zenoah speed should be anywhere between high 50s low 60s  O0.Just thought id share her with you,keep up the good work  O0.
Mart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.