Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What glue for pre-cut planking veneer,  (Read 2475 times)

Wasyl

What glue for pre-cut planking veneer,
« on: December 05, 2009, 01:17:36 am »

Hi all, whats the best glue for sticking down the veneer planking,i.e. on Hatchette Bismarck,

Wullie

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: What glue for pre-cut planking veneer,
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 01:45:44 am »

When I last did some veneering, not boats, I used a contact adhesive that gives you 30 seconds to reposition the two surfaces.

You try to get it right, and then you can slide one surface over the other by about 6mm.

One word of caution generally. If you are gluing to a ply deck that will then have a camber, it may be advisable to put the camber in the sub deck first. Unless the sub deck is very flexible. As you will in effect be creating a thicker ply with the layer of veneer.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: What glue for pre-cut planking veneer,
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 11:03:32 am »

Hi there Wasyl - of all the planking I have ever done, single planking/double diagonal planking/triple planking on a hull, also, deck planking/veneering I have only ever used Evostik Resin W - which is an exterior grade PVA glue.   It isnt 100% water proof but it does do the job, as long as its sealed to tell you how long it lasts - I have been up in the loft sorting out the Christmas decorations and there is a hydroplane which I built in 1069 just after the Magna Carta was signed MAKE THAT 1969!  :-)) :-)) %% %% {-)  AND it is still as strong as the day it was built & that was built using PVA glue.  So it has been around a few years.

If you have a look at Vosper RTTL 2751 you will see where I am planking with mahogany planks and I am using the PVA glue there.

aye
john e
bluebird
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.