Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble getting into forum  (Read 2933 times)

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
Trouble getting into forum
« on: December 05, 2009, 07:11:23 pm »

I just can't get into the forum in the normal way anymore!    I got in to start this new thread by going to my last Private Message in my e-mail inbox and following the  link to answer it.   Then I transferred to the forum and here I am.   Any ideas what has hapenned?
The last PM I got was not addressed to me anyway and I wonder if that is part of the problem?
Bob
Regards
Positive

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Trouble getting into forum
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 07:19:32 pm »

How do you normally get on the forum Bob ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 08:09:18 pm »

I normally go to www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk then click on Forum.   When it opens up, I log in with username and password.   Can't do that anymore.   Home page opens up OK, but when I click on Forum, nothing happens at all.   Just come in through the "back door" again.
Bob
Regards
Positive

craftysod

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 08:48:34 pm »

The way i get on forum,
initially go to mayhem main page,click forum,add to favourites.
Just go to favourites and i'm here

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 02:49:53 am »

***We are looking into this for you***

We have been having some technical problems with the site recently
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 07:31:18 am »

OK thanks.     I am installing new computer today, so will loose all my old e-mails, so will probably not be able to get back in until the problem is resolved.
Bob
Regards
Positive

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 08:53:35 am »

I am installing new computer today, so will loose all my old e-mails
Not necessarily, m' duck - if you're using a Windows operating system then adopt the "File Transfer Wizard" procedure and all of that stuff is moved onto the new beast. I've just done it in the last few days.
FLJ

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 09:20:26 am »

I am using Windows, but afraid the File Transfer Wizard means absolutely nothing to me! 
Bob   
Regards
Positive

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 12:00:01 pm »

This is the link I use.....    http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 01:37:15 pm »

I have just installed the new computer and I can get in as normal again.    Earlier, I could get to MBM homepage OK and I could open every section EXCEPT the forum.   

Before I installed the new computer, I looked for File Transfer Lizard in both my XP and VISTA books and found nothing.   I Googled it and came up with a complicated series of instructions, but it seemed it would only trasfer from XP to XP anyway and I was transferring to Vista.    The last computer was only 14 days old when it conked out.    It has Windows 7 in it which I found was awful because my scanners and PDF software wouldn't run.     When I went  back to store and began moaning about Windows 7, they just said "Hard luck" that's all there is now!    When it broke down, they had to give me a new one and the young shop assistant found a new, boxed Visa in the back, so I got a £48 refund as well!     I know a lot of peeps don't like Vista, but I have had it in my laptop for a year and everything work very smoothly.

Anyway, bottom line is everything is OK again!

Bob
Regards
Positive

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 01:40:25 pm »

I am using Windows, but afraid the File Transfer Wizard means absolutely nothing to me! 
Bob   

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/crawford_november12.mspx
If you've bought W7 or Vista then, as the man says, good b***** luck!
FLJ

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 01:49:22 pm »

Well, I have had Vista in my laptop for a year and never had the slightest problem with it!     In fact it was the only operating system that never gave me any aggro at all - 3.1, 98, XP and worst of all Windows 7!      If my software had worked in W7, I could have got used to it, but even my Microsft Word wouldn't run properly!
Bob
Regards
Positive

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 03:01:50 pm »

I got Vista on a laptop I bought last year.
I have had no problems, except perhaps with the latest IE. But I now use firefox. No problems.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 04:36:03 pm »

I have now installed Microsoft Word, Adobe Photoshop, PDF Factory Pro, Printer and re-sizing software in it and they all work as normal.   The only one I am having trouble with is Nero CD Burning.   I installed it OK, but no icon has appeared and it doesn't show in the programmes, but if I try to put it in again, it says it is already there!    I will probably sort it out soon, but I am glad to be rid of windows 7.
Bob
Regards
Positive

andygh

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 04:40:10 pm »

never had the slightest problem with it!     In fact it was the only operating system that never gave me any aggro at all

Me too  :-))

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 04:43:29 pm »

I am now testing it to see if I can insert photohraphs OK, so here goes with a miniature of British coaster SPECIALITY that I built some time ago.
Bob
Regards
Positive

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 04:48:42 pm »

This must be the afternoon for folk not reading stuff in its entirety. I meant  good b***** luck in transferring your files over  - which I think was the subject at the time. I would like to think that having introduced this utility with XP then those nice folk at Microsoft would have produced something equivalent for customers upgrading to V or W7.

I wouldn't presume to pass opinions on software I don't have. I've no personal experience of either Vista or W7 except that our man ACTionweb Huw says W7 is 'cool' and 'a brazillion percent better than Vista'. Our new machines here arrived with both Vista and XP Pro loaded - Huw overrode Vista as the first step in configuring both of them. As he makes his living as the IT Manager for a big insurance brokerage, that'll do for me.

Suit yourselves.

FLJ

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 05:49:11 pm »

Topic moved...
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 05:58:25 pm »

Hi Martin,
I had just written out a reply suggesting it was moved - here it is in its entirity.  Bob
-----------
I have got so used to people telling me Vista is rubbish that I just assumed you were as well – sorry!
File transfer no problem.    The Windows 7 computer was only 14 days old when it conked out.   Before I got it, I copied everything to Maxtor external HD.     When I am ready, I can put it all back in this one at the touch of a button and just leave it to it!

The Nero didn’t work because it says on the disk that it will only work in the computer it came with!    Not strictlyb true though, because I installed it in the laptop on Vista a year ago and it has worked fine ever since.

The old XP computer was taken out of service because it became too slow on the internet over the years and defied all efforts of “experts” to speed it up again!

I am the last one to claim to be an expert in computers.    I was suddenly put in charge of them in 1990 aboard a brand-new ocean-going passenger liner on which I was senior radio/electronics officer.       I had to deal with the maintenance and servicing of them as well and I hadn’t a clue what I was doing as they gave me no training.   They just installed them, showed me how to work them and cleared off.   A one-day course in London was supposed to teach me how to cover repairs!     I had been at sea in conventional ships for 31 years and after battling against “modern technology,” for two years, I took voluntary redundancy in late 1992 at the age of 48 and lived happily ever after       I have built model ships and taken up writing ever since – can’t stand modern technology.    All I require a computer to do now is work, and it is with great relief that I have today sorted it all out and can get back to building ships and writing!   

I really suppose this discussion should be moved to Chit Chat really.

Bob
Regards
Positive
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.