Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ocean going resucue tugs  (Read 4385 times)

chris holley

ocean going resucue tugs
« on: December 05, 2009, 09:12:37 pm »

Does any one make tug hulls like the maersk leader, thorax or even coastguard? they look a lot better than some off the port an dock tugs you see. many thanks chris

Navy2000

Re: ocean going resucue tugs
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 12:33:55 am »

MOst of the tugs that you are talking about are scratch made by the modelers that build them. Many of them including myself have made contact with the companies that own these tugs and tried to get the drawings that are needed inorder to build these types of tugs being AHT's and PSV's. Some companies will help you, but many will not. I have found that those who already have made contact and received plans are not allowed to share them with any one, this is the way that the companies control as to who get these drawings. I have good luck with Far Stad and Maersk and a couple of other companies so far. In the future I will try again with the companies that I have done good so far with to try to get some of the other designs that are out there. At this time I have 5 different designs. Try contacting these companies and see what you can do. Also if you live in an area were these tugs come into port and you can get to them talk to the captain if possible and maybe show him or her what you do and maybe they can help you out.

Good Luck

Duane

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 03:29:25 am »

Try this web link and see what you come up with:

http://www.osv-society.info/index.html

John

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 03:37:53 am »

they list Mearsk vessels in the model photo section, but not Mearsk Leader. There is a series of pictures on Thorax under construction:

http://www.osv-society.info/Thorax.html

chris holley

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 12:28:04 pm »

wow i had no idea thats how they were built. you guys must spend years an lots of money on them, thank you for the links oldiron, an navy2000 i will try an contact mearsk on see what they can offer me.

so the hull is scratch built then looks like fiberglass or hard plastic but i think thats where i would become stuck.

thanks chris

Mark47

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 12:45:23 pm »

What about a Zwart Zee from Billings? That's ocean going.

I'm not that familure with tugs. {:-{

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 01:25:28 pm »

wow i had no idea thats how they were built. you guys must spend years an lots of money on them, thank you for the links oldiron, an navy2000 i will try an contact mearsk on see what they can offer me.

so the hull is scratch built then looks like fiberglass or hard plastic but i think thats where i would become stuck.

thanks chris

No problem on the links. There are threads on this site that will show you how to scratch build a hull and glass it. It can seem onerous at first, but, taken a step at a time its not really that bad.

John

chris holley

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 01:27:15 pm »

thank you john, i will take a look chris

ZZ56

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 04:14:44 pm »

Free Ship Plans has a builder's plan for the Polish supply vessel Granit, but you will need to carefully rotate and crop the images due to their being scanned in pieces.  There is no information on how to build it but all the lines are there, plus a comprehensive look at all the details. 

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 10:38:26 pm »

Hi Chris

I have just purchased this hull from Tyne Models of the Maersk Leader, 1.50 scale length 55in beam 12in.

Brian

chris holley

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 10:51:45 pm »

nice brian very nice, How much did it cost nothin on there site yet {:-{, what do you get from them hull deck superstructure?? thanks chris

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 10:13:57 am »

Hi Chris
They are selling the hull and a set of plans for £180. They haven’t updated their web site yet. I was speaking to Les last week and they are not thinking of producing this as a semi kit at the moment. If you are interested you will have to contact Les.

Brian

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 11:17:20 am »

Why not try a little scratch build ? - my current project Anglian Sovereign
Don't Assume Check

chris holley

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 05:09:33 pm »

Scratch built flippin heck, i have thought about that route its the space an time for scratch built would be a good idea though, plus wouldn't no where to start an would go pear shaped {:-{
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 23 queries.