Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Photo Driving Licences  (Read 10338 times)

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
Photo Driving Licences
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:33:56 pm »

Early next year I will have to renew my Photo Driving Licence :((, this was issued to me after I had been unable to drive for 15 months due to a brain tumour. I did not want this type of licence but had no choice. In the new year I will have to pay £20-00 >:-o for the privilage plus the cost of the photo's. This I think is a very unfair way of gaining more tax >:-o >:-o >:-o as not everyone has to do this. What do you think, and if you have an old style paper licence keep hold of it for as long as you can. If I do not renew this I am liable to upto a £1000 fine. Something those of you with a paper licence will not have to worry about.
Alan

andygh

Re: Photo Driving Licences
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:57:50 pm »

I had to replace my old paper license, in the end it was so worn out that it was in 8 separate pieces  <:(

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 12:13:10 am »

Still got my paper license. No intention of switching to the plastic one either.  :-))

john j

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 02:59:49 am »

I managed to loose my paper one when i moved house last year, so i take it i`ll have to get one of the new ones ?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 03:10:34 am »

I managed to loose my paper one when i moved house last year, so i take it i`ll have to get one of the new ones ?

If you change address you are supposed to renew your license. I got pulled over by the police and asked to produce my license, and informed that my license was not valid as the address was out of date, but was not given a ticket for it.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 03:25:50 am »

Here in Ontario we all have to have plastic picture licenses, thats the only kind you get.

John

john j

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 03:36:58 am »

If you change address you are supposed to renew your license. I got pulled over by the police and asked to produce my license, and informed that my license was not valid as the address was out of date, but was not given a ticket for it.

I better sort it out this week, as it stands just now i dont have any licence to produce. Another 25 quid or so, GREAT !!!

Tom@Crewe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 08:30:32 am »

Whats the fear of the picture licence? I have had mine years, moved house just after they came out! the paper part stays at home safe and the card part if you have to show it slipps into wallet.

I think its a pity about this new I.D. card that you have to have both, why not just have a little section of the I.D. card with your driving licence number on and a symbol saying what type of licence you have.

I think they have started the I.D's in Manchester, then hopefully rolled out over the rest of the country.

Bugsy

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 08:43:50 am »

For any that don't know, the UK photo-licence has an expiry date on the photo aspect (ten years from memory) the date is at '4b' on the front of the licence.

Lots of people who have moved to France have been caught out by this and have had no option but to get a french licence.

Roger in France

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 08:53:28 am »

In fact, Swansea will not issue you with a new licence if you do not have a permenant address in the UK. So when my documents were stolen I had to apply for a French licence. But no problems there.

However, there is a difference with the "points system" here in France. Everyone starts with 12 points and you have points deducted for an infringement.

Roger in France

das boot

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 09:08:08 am »

Don't get me started on driving licences...I lost my HGV class 1 licence after my heart attack, got it back after eight months, lost it again after a further two months....got it back only to have it taken away permanently after another couple of months. 'It's because you might have another heart attack, sir' I was told...."but I can still drive a 7.5 ton truck with a drawbar trailer?" I asked...'oh yes sir, that's not a problem' I was told.

"But surely I can do as much damage with a 7.5 dog n' pup as I can with a sweeper?"....shouldn't have said that, within a few days I get a letter from the DVLA withdrawing my 7.5  ton vocation.  >>:-(

My doctor wrote to the DVLA complaining that he's my doctor and knows my medical history better than some jumped up little Welsh pen pusher in a suit, and he was told that he's only(ONLY)a GP, the Government's Medical Officer outranks him, and he really shouldn't be making waves....

So now all I have is a basic car licence... >>:-(  >>:-(  >:-o  <*<  <*<  <*<  <:(

Rich

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 09:23:13 am »

Back to the original post it's not strictly true.  Everyone does have to have the new type of licence whenever thier situation changes.  Eventually everyone will have one and there is no way you can avoid it.  This is obviously a simpler and easier way of changing over than to simply require everyone to change by a certain date, which would be a bit of a administrative nightmare.  Obvious things such as a change of address or the addition or removal of points require you to update your licence and then you have no choice other than to have a new type.

I changed address and had to have the new type and I hate the stupid thing.  Now you have to carry the piece of paper and the ID card around with you because they are both required to be shown if asked for.  The ID card is almost unreadable, with a photo that is a waste of time and a signature that you need a microscope to see!

just to really make your day, even though the new license lasts until you are 70 years old, the photo doesn't and has to be renewed every 10 years, and yes you have to send it away again and yes, you have to pay again!!! >>:-(
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 09:33:20 am »

Renewed my licence last year  (was an age thing something about getting to 70) I had no problem with that what I did have a problem with was that they wanted me to send my birth certificate in the post to DVLA. Now I am of the age that was taught you NEVER let your birth certificate out of your sight . They didn't want to see my birth certificate when they called me up and they sure didn't ask for it every week when they raided my pay packet
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Bugsy

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 09:41:41 am »

However, there is a difference with the "points system" here in France. Everyone starts with 12 points and you have points deducted for an infringement.

Roger in France

My wife is an expert on points Roger having probably set a record with two speeding tickets in just eight minutes  %%

At least the discount for 'prompt' payment softened the blow. :-)

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 10:17:43 am »

Now you have to carry the piece of paper and the ID card around with you because they are both required to be shown if asked for. 

Actually, no! Right at the top of the paper part it tells you to keep it in a safe place. So you don't need both on your person. I had this confirmed to me by the DVLA, who also said at the time (about 4 years ago) that there were no plans to make it compulsory. 'Producing' a licence for Police requires both parts but can be done within 7 days, and you may also need both parts if you want to hire a car etc.

There's quite a bit of on-line discussion about carrying your licence with you at all. Digging deep, it's Road Traffic Act Section 164, para 8 that deals with this and it states that while legally, it's an offence to drive without your licence on you, but also that there is a statutory defence allowing you to produce it within those 7 days at a Police station.

Here's the quote:

RTA 1988 S164:-

[8] In proceedings against any person for the offence of failing to produce a licence it shall be a defence for him to show that—

(a) within seven days after the production of his licence was required he produced it in person at a police station that was specified by him at the time its production was required, or

(b) he produced it in person there as soon as was reasonably practicable, or

(c) it was not reasonably practicable for him to produce it there before the day on which the proceedings were commenced

It is an offence not to produce it when asked but a statutory defence to show that you produced it within 7 days as in (i) above.

Don't take this as a legal statement of fact, but it's well worth checking out. For example, http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/offences/driving_licence.htm and Wiki would also suggest that I'm correct.

Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 10:21:04 am »

I think its a pity about this new I.D. card that you have to have both, why not just have a little section of the I.D. card with your driving licence number on and a symbol saying what type of licence you have.
Don't we British like to complicate things %) I have a Swedish driving licence (converted from my paper thing when I moved here). This has my picture and is my I.D. For those that do not have a driving licence there is the "option" of an I.D. card (not really on option, you are going to need to prove your I.D sometime).

das boot

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 10:32:11 am »

Don't we British like to complicate things %)

Yep!! When I had my HGV class 1, I could drive cars, m'bikes, 3 wheelers, vans, rigids, artics, heavy haulage stuff, LHD sweepers, dog n' pups...all that sort of stuff, but could I drive a milk float? Could I heck as like!  %% Not that I ever wanted to drive a milk float, but it just seemed silly to me...

Rich

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 11:09:18 am »

With you on that Rich, I could drive anything but a bus or milk float. {:-{
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

das boot

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 12:27:41 pm »

It's most strange Dickie...I could drive a PSV vehicle provided I don't receive payment by any of the passenger?
I could drive a tractor...
I can't drive a milk float still.... :embarrassed:

Guess I'll be getting meself a bike...

Rich

andygh

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 12:39:33 pm »

I think they have started the I.D's in Manchester, then hopefully rolled out over the rest of the country.

Hopefully not surely?
I think I read somewhere that airport workers will be the first people required to hold an I.D. card so at least I'll be able to claim for mine on company exspenses  ;D

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2009, 12:40:36 pm »

I thought you had to be pasteurised to drive a milk float......

das boot

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 12:45:47 pm »

I thought you had to be pasteurised to drive a milk float......

I'm way past that sort of thing nowadays, can barely reach me knees, let alone past me eyes... :D

Rich

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 12:51:52 pm »

If I do not renew this I am liable to up to a £1000 fine.

worse than that I am afraid the £1000 fine is from the DVLA
if the photo card licence has expired then you are deemed to be driving without a valid driving licence
even though your paper version will have a expiry date a lot longer on it normally
so you can get charged from the police for driving with out a licence and since you need a valid licence
for your insurance add on drivng without insurance and if you have a bump then you won't be insured

I found this out from my friend who works in the police who was telling me about it as the traffic cops had done someone for
it that day and he thought it was a bit OTT, checked my licence and I had 3weeks before mine expired luckily got it sorted

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 02:58:43 pm »

Since I started this topic I have read all the comments with interest, but nobody has answered my question about why I have to pay £20-00 plus the cost of the photo's to renew my licence, surely an unfair tax. I feel sure that the traders would sooner me spend my money on boat parts, I know that I would sooner spend it on something boat related.

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 03:06:21 pm »

and since you need a valid licence
for your insurance add on drivng without insurance and if you have a bump then you won't be insured

Sorry but I don't think that is quite right.

Just checked my insurance certificate which says

" Persons or classes of persons entitled to drive. Providing that the person driving holds a licence to drive the car or has held and is not disqualified from holding or obtaining such a licence"

This is fairly standard with most insurance companies I think ?

Don B.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 23 queries.