Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dive-in to Summer 2010  (Read 9038 times)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Dive-in to Summer 2010
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2010, 12:10:23 pm »

Cheap 808 keyfob cameras from China give better image quality than ActionCam and Flycams, and only cost a few pounds. The ones to go for are the models that use the micro SD cards. Here is a picture with three grabbed frames. The top left is an ATC2K, top right 808 cam, bottom centre is a FlyCamOne 2. The 808 is clearly superior.

Reason the the 808 is better is that the bit rate is much higher (lower compression on each frame) and possibly a newer generation camera. I paid about £7 for mine posted to my door, you will have to purchase a micro SD card separately. 2GB gives about an hour of footage.

More on them here- http://www.chucklohr.com/808/

One final thing- these are not waterproof, so you will need to fashion a housing if you want to use them underwater.

raf

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 04:13:59 pm »

hallo

i think that the qualliti of the oregon cam is quit good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SEDC9Gbhq8

and the advantage is that this camera is closed waters
Oregon comes in various designs and can last 4 GB SD cards and even has a small screen

greetings raf

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010, 08:19:50 pm »

That footage is in 16:9 ratio, but the Actioncams shoot in 4:3 aspect. Looks sharper than any ATC camera footage I've seen to date.

ChrisN

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2010, 09:53:24 pm »

I have to say, that its a damn shame its so difficult to get decent photos and films of the submarine in action, because there are some absolutely beautiful boats on this page.

I don't get to see many other submarines, but I really appreciate the pictures here.

I'm back to my sailing in murky puddles again, so I can't see my sub below about a centimeter. Because of this I go to great lengths to get it to controll to periscope depth. If it goes too deep, I lose track of it and get that sick feeling in my stomach again.

I think I'll make a special effort to get to Brockwelll this October, and I'll re-work my camera ready.

If you have any other photos or video, post them up, I'd love to see them.

Chris.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2010, 10:54:57 pm »

Here's a short one of yours (click to play)

Flying Sparks

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 09:06:20 am »

Sorry for the delay but I've now posted on You Tube the video from Michaels key fob camera. The camera was fitted into a hastily made housing and the original plan was strap it Mikes Unseen but the ESC packed up on the first run, so the camera was hand held under water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYROBpbwGuU

We are very pleased with the results from a camera that cost about £8 !!!! The memory card is worth more!

PS. After Mikes Mtroniks ESC went pop at the dive in the unit was returned to Mtroniks and replaced, no questions asked. So a big thanks to Mtroniks  :-))

Phil and Mike

ChrisN

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 10:21:32 pm »

Nice videos.

Thanks for posting these videos, they certainly put my smudgy attempts into perspective.

I think that I will have to invest in one of these £8 cameras, they look like they're too good to miss.

chris.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 11:19:47 am »

The little 808 camera is a great little camera. The main snag with it, is that you can't switch off the date and time which is imprinted in the video.

You can use a free utility called virtualdub and use a 'filter' (plug-in) which attempts to blur it out, and it is quite good, but not 100%. Virtualdub is also very handy for converting file types e.g. the mjpeg codec use by these cameras is very memory hungry, once edited it's better to convert it to an mpeg 4 codec which uses about 25% of the memory with no visible loss of quality.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.