Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Chevalier  (Read 5054 times)

rsm

USS Chevalier
« on: December 06, 2009, 08:02:47 pm »

Thought I would share some pictures of my latest build based on the Revell 1/144 Fletcher kit. I've converted it to 2 channel using en Electronize speed controller, two 280 motors and Hitec radio gear. I built it as standard except for the addition of some turned brass main gun barrels.

Cheers.

Mark47

Re: USS Chevalier
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 10:53:57 am »

I'm not familure with this class of ship.

So can I ask, what are her dimenssions at this scale?

rsm

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 01:57:18 pm »

A Fletcher class destroyer at 1/144th scale is 79.7cm in length with an 8.3cm beam.

Mark47

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 03:40:03 pm »

A Fletcher class destroyer at 1/144th scale is 79.7cm in length with an 8.3cm beam.

Thanks for the answer. :-))

farrow

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 09:56:36 am »

Hi,
I am currently putting one of these kits together and I am interested in how you R/C it. How about some pics to see how you did it. Your model is nicely finished and it does show how the Yanks where well ahead of the UK in destroyer design.

rsm

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 07:26:08 pm »

The prop tubes are brass tube with short lengths of smaller diameter tube super glued into both ends as bearings. The propeller shafts are brass rod epoxied to the kit props. The prop shafts  are connected to the motors with silicon tubing. The rudder has a brass rod attached to it and passes through a piece of brass tube epoxied to the hull so it rotates.

Abuelo3

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 10:32:11 pm »

IT IS A VERY GOOD LOOKING SHIP,  :-))SHARP AND RIGTH MADE, , BUT A I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT HOW IS SHE ON THE SEA, DID THE KIT'S PROPS WORKED, IF THOSE PLASTIC DONT BREAK. PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT IT
BEST WISHES

rsm

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 02:12:51 pm »

The kit propellers work just fine without any problems. She has a good turn of speed and handles quite well, but she gets thrown about a bit if the water is choppy.  %%

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 11:03:43 pm »

I remamber seeing one of these Fletcher class Tin Can's going into the Naval Base at Charlestown South Carolina USA in the early 60's she'd been a bit roughly handled by the Old Grey Widow Maker and was looking very much the worse for wear "The side of the forward 5" 38 gun mount was bashed in,... the foredeck had been washed clean (no rails or storeage reels ) the after funnel had a bit of a kink in it and the motor whaler only had one side. But Pride of place on the bridge wing was a cartoon painting of Woody Woodpecker on a Surfboard .... The Caption Reading  40 KNOTS AND NO SMOKE + a string of Battle Ribbions.
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

farrow

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 11:24:45 pm »

Hi RSM.
Thanks for the reply, very impressive, I like the rudder detail.

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 01:52:34 pm »

The kit propellers work just fine without any problems. She has a good turn of speed and handles quite well, but she gets thrown about a bit if the water is choppy.  %%

The real ones got thrown around too.  ok2
~Harq

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 01:55:35 pm »

Since the shafts turned out so well, scale wise, what diameter are they?

Here's one converted and running in calm water: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc5CTuyMQzk
~Harq
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.