Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Tiger  (Read 4903 times)

rsm

HMS Tiger
« on: December 07, 2009, 11:11:44 pm »

This is my smallest r/c model, an Eastern Express (ex-Frog) 1/415 HMS Tiger. I converted it to r/c with 4 small motors and an esc from Hunter Systems and added a 5 gram servo, a Hitec micro receiver and two 3 volt camera batteries to power it. The kit lacks detail, has lots of flash and the mouldings are pretty poor, so plenty of scope for improvement!!!! I added bilge keels from plasticard and anchors, props, anchor chain and signalling guns from a Heller HMS KGV, the prop tubes and shafts were from brass and the PE came from White Ensign models (1/400 railings and 1/600 masts, radars and crane - you can now get a dedicated PE set for this kit from White Ensign but it was not available at the time I built mine  >>:-( ). It's not perfect and I made plenty of mistakes but it  was quite fun to do, in a masochistic kind of way (so much so I picked up another kit cheaply and bought the new PE set for it!!!  %% ).

Warship Wes

Re: HMS Tiger
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 07:50:18 pm »

Great model Mate!

An interesting subject from one of my favorite eras, must be a bit interesting to sail though?

All the best
Wes

rsm

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 08:57:00 pm »

Cheers Wes,

A flat calm is certainly helpful!!! :-))

A have a small fleet in this approximate scale (1/400)including Scharnhorst, Victorious, Hood and Prinz Eugen, good for small ponds and OK on bigger ones as long as it isn't too choppy.  :}

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 01:15:25 pm »

Please post pictures of the rest of your flleet. Please inlcude pictures of the RC and running gear set up inside.

rsm

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 07:37:04 pm »

Here are some pictures of some of the other ships in the fleet. HMS Hood (as she may have looked if she had been refitted) is one of the older ships in the fleet built before I discovered PE. Scharnhorst isn't finished and still requires some more painting and the addition of some more PE weapons and railings. HMS Victorious has just been started. These are all Heller kits at 1/400th scale.

rsm

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 07:59:51 pm »

One more for luck.  :-))

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 10:00:03 pm »

What sort of electric motors have been used??

rsm

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 11:15:26 pm »

The motors in Hood are 130s from Maplin (small electric motors in their catalogue), the motors for Scharnhorst and Victorious are Orion servo motors from Hunter systems, and the motors in Tiger are 7mm micro motors also from Hunter systems.

steve pickstock

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 10:25:04 am »

Just wanted to compliment you on the smashing work you have done, and thank you for mentioning Hunter Systems. I did a quick google and found ......
A wondrous place.

I am obviously going to have spend some money there in the new year - especially when I get back to working on the Airfix Vosper and some of my other planned models.

Thanks again.

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 02:39:55 pm »

Can you please let me know what props and shafts are used? Are the kit supplied rudders used for all the models?

rsm

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 04:31:25 pm »

The props and rudders are all the standard kit supplied parts. They are drilled out carefully by hand to accept shafts which are made from the standard brass rod you get in model shops, it is simply cut to the correct length and glued into the rudder or props with super glue or epoxy. The tubes for the shafts are made up from standard brass tube. I normally get 2 different sizes of tube one that fits inside the other closely, the wider one for the tube and the narrower one cut to short lengths as bearings and superglue them in the ends of the tube. The propeller shafts should be a close fit (but not tight) inside the narrow tube, so they rotate easily. I don't know what the exact sizes are but if you have a rummage in you're local model shop you will find the right ones, just check none of it is bent when you buy it. I only use light oil to lubricate as grease puts too much strain on the motors. Hope this helps.  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.