Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first build....T.I.D.  (Read 2614 times)

Koldness

My first build....T.I.D.
« on: December 03, 2006, 03:52:33 am »

Hi all,

Im located in Toronto Canada, and just joined the board.  I was recently given a Lesro TID tug to build.  Im planing on building the Naval version, and was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a site that had Naval TID info on it.  I want to build it scale after a wartime TID.  I cant seem to find too much detailed info.

I have two motors with the kit, a Graupner Speed 280, and a Marx Milliperm Special.  Which do any of you recomend.  I plan on lighting the boat as well. I hope to take some shots when I get started to show my progress.

Thanks

Kris

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: My first build....T.I.D.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 08:54:18 am »

Koldness
One of the problems with TIDS is that they were all slightly different.
The pressures of a wartime build and very low priority let to each yard, and sometime each tug from the same yard being completed with the materials at hand.
So it is difficult to be specific to one vessel unless there is a lot of information on her.
I know that doesn't really help you though!!

I would go for the Graupner motor.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Koldness

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 12:01:48 am »

Thanks, great to know!

Kaskazi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 01:54:59 pm »

Koldness - greetings from down the road in Waterloo! You may find this site helpful: http://www.kingstonmouldings.com/h&ttidtugbuild.htm

You might also like to explore the vast database at:
http://users.skynet.be/sky42086/tugslistpage01.html

It's a bit fiddly as I recollect, but a vast number of tugs are listed, including nearly 200 TIDs. My recollection is that you have to download the database to get an Access file which must then be unzipped (but perhaps the program does this for you, I don't remember). You then find the file on your system and click on the item "tuglistoo.mdb". You can then click on any named tug to get a host of detail regarding ownership, dimensions and history. The TIDs are listed by number and you will find them in alphabetical order near the bottom of the whole list.

This db will also probably give you the name and date of the builder - do a google on that too, because you might get really lucky and find that the builder's records are on file somewhere. Then you get busy writing around. I had only one piece of luck, finding that records for the builder of "my" tug were on file at a university, which kindly sent me what they had - but it was disappointingly little. But anyway, try your own luck.

Following the war, many went to shipping companies and acquired names. Armed with a name, you can then do a google search (you can use the TID # for this also) and if you are lucky, you will find a photo and perhaps other data.

Kaskazi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 10:10:08 pm »

And a good candidate for your model might be TID 172, because she is still operational in the hands of a preservation society - http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~tidtug/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.