Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hemmens Richmond steam plant  (Read 8416 times)

Bernhard

Hemmens Richmond steam plant
« on: December 11, 2009, 06:05:03 pm »

hi,,,today i got my Richmond steam plant,,,,,,,,reale nice,,,it have only de running a few times,,just like new bot ,i havent try it yet,,,it look that the boiler is a older model with aut the super heater in,,,and not so many extra thread on,,
,,I did read that Bunkerbarge did have some problem with the machine he have,,,,,,,,what year whas that  enginen from ,,and how to see if this,  is one of  that model? ,and what did you do so fix it,,,,will it be a good ide to do a superheater to it,,,or just let it be as it is,,,
Thanks

Regards Bernhard

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
Re: Hemmens Richmond steam plant
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 09:04:15 pm »

Lovely setup there Bernhard- I look forward to seeing you bring it to life in miniature :-))

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 09:07:07 pm »

Hi Bernhard.......I see the Richmond setup now includes a pressure gauge on the gas tank.......is it to 10 Bar?

I am sure we all know.... O0 that you will modify a few pieces to suit your hull build........ %)  regards Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

mogogear

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 09:59:50 pm »

Good to see you got everything sorted with Mr Hemmen's!!...I am sure we will see it in a boat soon O0

Bernhard

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 06:58:58 am »

hi..........Thanks.......i will look later when i home ..what bar it go to......this i did by from one ,i know in uk...he didnt wont to play with steam eny more,,so i will try to have it to fit,,in a wood launch ...i have a Graham engine in,,,

Regards Bernhard

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 07:48:37 am »

I think it is some of the mating faces, they are in alloy and some people replace them in brass, i cannot understand why he still does them in alloy as alloy to brass is not the best valve face. I don't know what was up with BB though
did you say Mr Hemmen's is stopping doing engines?

Bernhard

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 08:25:29 am »

hi.........no no........i did bye the plant from a friend in UK...he think  it was all to complicated to use in a public lake,with the new regulation ,,no Hemmens still make them..........Bot Bunkerbarge sai that some of the first engines did have some problems,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i will like to know what he did to fix it,,,and what   the problem it was,,,,

Bernhard

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 09:16:47 am »

Bernard, I have sent you a PM with an explanation.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 12:41:42 pm »

Quote from Bernhard........"Bot Bunkerbarge sai that some of the first engines did have some problems,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i will like to know what he did to fix it,,,and what   the problem it was,,,,"

The response from bunkerbarge ..."I have sent you a PM with an explanation"........is lacking in transparency.........& offers  ZERO insight to interested members .......Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 05:09:46 pm »

It was you Bernard, I was watching thar engine on ebay, it did not make the reserve, I would have been interested my self, but I bought a Maccsteam boiler the week before and a TVR1A , but it looks a nice engine, got all the bits and pieces, very nice.
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

Bernhard

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 06:02:03 pm »

hi,,Andy ..yes,,,,,,bot i did bye it from Colin private.fore a fair price,,..i have 4 macsteam boilers all work perfect,,, and 4 Graham engines  ..   so i know with that you have ,you will sun have a nice steam plant ready sun

Bernhard

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 01:19:15 pm »

Hi...Today i did test  the engine...fore 3 times 20 minuets,,,,,,leak water/steam  from the valve,,,so i have to do,,,like Richard sai...and one side is not tight ,,i have try to tight the spring and lose it,,and clean it,,bot it dint help..so,i dont know what to do with that....i hobe it can be tight,,,and that can  help on the running time ,,it use a lot off steam,,,,,,,,,,,Regards Bernhard

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 01:54:14 pm »

Bernard, I have sent you a PM with an explanation.

Is there a reason for the secrecy as there are a lot of members with this engine, I know we are not allowed to speak ill of the man but surely we can talk about the problems his engines have.

Peter

or will this be removed.!

ian kennedy

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 09:38:34 pm »

Hi Bernhard,

This looks like a fairly old J.Hemmens plant to me as there is a different steam take off to his normal wharfdale boiler, no super heater loop into the flue.

If you are getting leaks from the mating faces between the cylinders and engine frame you need to remove them and lap the engine frame on the piston side.

To do this remove the engine from its base plate undo the pipe nuts and undo the spring tension nuts, the spacer tubes and slide the con rod off the crank pin while pulling the pistons off the v engine frame.

Once you have a bare frame tape some fine wet and dry paper to a piece of smooth glass and lubricating the wet and dry paper with white spirit slowly smooth the cylinder side of the frame, rubbing gently from side to side.

The aluminium parts are made from a hard aviation grade alloy and to my knowledge is better than brass for the purpose of making the steam gallery part of this good little engine, some older or abused engines can leak from the rotary control valve due to the tension nut being over tightened and the o ring getting compressed or torn as a result.

For the money this is a superb powerful and reliable little engine, i have seen many 20+ year old ones still running as good now as they did when they were new.

Enjoy running it in your wonderful steam launches.

Ian

Bernhard

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 04:35:46 pm »

Thanks Ian,,,,,,,,i did that today,,,as you explain,,,,,and yes the rubber ring was real bad,,,,,,,,,,,,it was only one side there have a leak,,,,,,,,,i haven't try to steam it, after this have be don,,,,,,,,,let you know,,,,,,,,

Regards Bernhard

Steam Head

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 12:42:19 pm »

For my two bob's worth, I find Mr. Hemmens work to be the best that I have seen on any steam model I own, and that's over 150 models, engines, boilers et al.

Has anyone noticed the striking similarity of the Monahan boilers and twin marine engine to the Hemmens boilers, and the Max II marine engine? I'm hard pressed to see a difference.

Steam Head (newby)

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 01:30:55 pm »

For my two bob's worth, I find Mr. Hemmens work to be the best that I have seen on any steam model I own, and that's over 150 models, engines, boilers et al.

Has anyone noticed the striking similarity of the Monahan boilers and twin marine engine to the Hemmens boilers, and the Max II marine engine? I'm hard pressed to see a difference.

Steam Head (newby)

what are you on about same as Hemmens, there is a massive difference Monahan engines don't have to be altered to run when new, they run out of the box, and as far as looking like Hemmens boilers I think you will find monahan ones are technically superior.

peter

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 05:07:54 pm »

Hi HS93, Steam Head,

Monohan Steam models are completely independantly designed.

However Nick is freinds with John Hemmens and so a slight simalarity in dimensions is to be expected- marketing dictates so.

However copying is a dirty word, and an insult to the engineering prowess of Monohan models- just wait and see what delights he has in store for the 'discerning' collector...

Oh, and as for the precision- Nick is an ex NASCAR engineer and has built a COMPLETE Ford GT40 from drawings- so next time you begin to have doubts as to the authenticity of Nick's knowlege, just put them to the back of your mind and leave them there! <*<

:-))

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

MONAHAN STEAM MODELS

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 06:02:32 pm »

Steam Head (newby)

Welcome to the forum Steam Head,  ;)

I'll take your comments as a compliment since John's equipment is beautiful looking. Maybe you should add one more engine to your collection to make 151. Maybe then you'll see first hand there is no similarities.  %) Just an idea.

Don't hate the player, hate the game. {-)

xoxo,

Nick

kusuchi

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 02:25:29 am »

Hi Bernhard,

I also own a Hemmens Steam Plant with Richmond engine and Wharfedale boiler similar to your own.  Unfortunately, it is still in the UK, so I have not had the chance to scrutinize it in detail.

I have also recently purchased the Monahan Vertical Steam Plant, of which I have heard excellent technical reports, and she certainly looks like an exquisite piece of model engineering, a steam plant I've been wanting for some time.

Until such time as I receive them, I obviously cannot comment on the similarities or lack thereof.  :-)

Steam Head, let me join Nick in welcoming you to the forum.  :-)  A simple courtesy that should precede all other remarks.  Even with 150 models yourself, you will still find many wonderful vessels to admire here.  

Best,

Richard.

ROSYTH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam glorious Steam..
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2009, 03:17:18 pm »

Hi Richard and all, a litle late but merry christmas to all and a steaming New Year too.

Now Richard haven't you picked that steam plant up yet? I guess your just to busy playing with MHB's boats lol.
How are you anyway?

Cheers for now
Rosyth
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.