Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An introduction and request......  (Read 3398 times)

Lenticular

An introduction and request......
« on: December 13, 2009, 01:22:52 pm »

Hi
I only just joined the forum and received my welcome from Roger suggesting I introduce myself.

My last foray into model boating was way back in the early 70's as a member of the Cygnets Model boat club in Maidstone.
I hardly knew where it would lead !
I got into R/C aircraft both slope soaring and power and that in turn led to my full size licence both in the UK and the US.

I was into aerial photography and free lancing for aviation magazines and lived in Texas for nearly 30 years.
More recently though medical problems and a couple of friends being killed in air accidents necessitated my forfeiting my licence and an eventual move to Mid Wales..where there just happens to be a wonderful boating lake.
Unfortunately a lack of dexterity and technology progressing past my comfort zone necessitates me looking for a ready built model...preferably a larger scale warship type model......hence I am scouring the various auction sites and the sales board in this forum.

Any pointers wound be much appreciated.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: An introduction and request......
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 01:28:09 pm »

Welcome,
Have a look round, and get the feel of the madhouse, then start looking for a model.
Best of Luck.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Wasyl

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 02:00:02 pm »

Welcome,its not really a Madhouse,..it just has some Mad members....most of whom are from below Hadrians Wall,then there,s me, %%

Wullie

Lenticular

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 03:19:55 pm »

Thanks for the welcome.....

Don't worry, I'm used to mad forum members.
For nearly 10 years I have been involved with an American Truck forum mainly advising on leather care for the rather special King Ranch interiors.

Take a gander if you want a break from this forum....

http://www.f150online.com/forums/king-ranch-79/

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 04:01:35 pm »

...and some of us are further north than the Antonine Wall.  Further north than Moscow .....N 57degrees. even , by-the-way  and even a few whose nearest mainline railway station is Stavanger.  eh no Big Red ?  You have a PM BTW.
..well can you land on this?

Navy2000

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 11:03:53 pm »

What kind of warship are you looking for and in what scale? I do 1/96 scale models of US Naval Ships mostly modern, but could build some thing from WW II if needed. I will be working on USS North Carolina BB 55 as she appeared near the end of the war.

Duane

The long Build

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 11:08:06 pm »

Welcome,
Have a look round, and get the feel of the madhouse, then start looking for a model.
Best of Luck.

Bob

And when you find one ask if she has a sister... :}

dbninja

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 09:02:06 am »

hi and welcome..

"Large scale Warships"   wow!  thats right up at the serious end of the fun-scale!

Large scale warships are erm..  large, usually heavy, and take a great deal of care when handling them, just getting them in and out of the workshop/car or into and out of the water can kill the last bit of fun... rewarding yes!   tiresome?

dont limit yourself to the big stuff, if you only  like your boats/ships in the colour grey.. get a couple of small torpedo/rescue boats that you can throw under your arm and have in the water in minutes.  Big Fun    small hassle

get your warship as well mind

variety is the spice of life :-))

just my 2cents worth

db

Lenticular

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:47:49 am »

What kind of warship are you looking for and in what scale? I do 1/96 scale models of US Naval Ships mostly modern, but could build some thing from WW II if needed. I will be working on USS North Carolina BB 55 as she appeared near the end of the war.

Duane

I have to admit that I have nothing particular in mind......Just something that is realistic and has a deal of 'presence' on the water !
Having spent a lot of time in the States visiting places like Newport News and the naval air station at Corpus Christi I do have an affinity with US ships.
Also been aboard the USS Lexington which is beached there though admitedly to view the aircraft!
I understand the point raised by the next post about size, but if my current house purchase is successful I will be in walking distance of the lake in Llandrindod Wells, which has a purpose built model boat launch/control area.
I could easily have a larger model on a trolley to walk along, so size isn't a problem..within reason !
Thinking of something in the 4/5 foot region.
As I don't have enough posts to send a pm could you let me have an E mail address ?

Just having re read my post I suppose combining past flying career and boating, an aircraft carrier would be ideal !

Thanks
John

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 10:32:34 am »

...an aircraft carrier, certainly sir. We have them in various sizes, large, extra large and Texas size. :D  Suits you sir !

ajb68

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 10:38:06 am »

What an amazing model  O0 would i be right in assuming this is Texas size ? %% {-)

Andy

omra85

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 11:59:46 am »

No Andy - this is the large one.  It's floating in the crew swimming pool of the Texas model  %% {-) %%

Danny

Lenticular

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 07:55:01 pm »

...an aircraft carrier, certainly sir. We have them in various sizes, large, extra large and Texas size. :D  Suits you sir !

Thats the one.....!!!

I can fly a scale Harrier off the deck too !

(Did I mention my budget was 40 quid ?)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 08:05:49 pm »

Ahem, you cant even buy the 1/24th Airfix Harrier kit for 40 quid these days. {:-{   You see it on the water on youtube on MacSpringer`s videos. No flying shots yet but have a heli landing coming subject to copyright permit.

omra85

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 08:07:35 pm »

(Did I mention my budget was 40 quid ?)

That's the great thing about large models - you can make the whole thing out of old pallets!  Get them free, then you can spend the £40 on all the other stuff  {-) {-)

Danny  %% %%

Lenticular

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 10:06:27 pm »

Ahem, you cant even buy the 1/24th Airfix Harrier kit for 40 quid these days. {:-{   You see it on the water on youtube on MacSpringer`s videos. No flying shots yet but have a heli landing coming subject to copyright permit.

Thanks for the link...most fascinating !!

That's the great thing about large models - you can make the whole thing out of old pallets!  Get them free, then you can spend the £40 on all the other stuff  {-) {-)

Danny  %% %%

So I might even get some change !!? This is looking more and more interesting.

No..seriously...better stop the dry humour...someone might think I'm serious.
Trouble is I think back in the 70's I bought my second hand Fairy Huntsman, Futaba 4 Channel, and a decent OS motor for probably less than £40.00

I should never have let my wife have the controls...she had the boat coming towards her at full belt and froze on the controls not knowing right from left when reversed....Mind you it was an impressive smash when it rammed into the concrete bank !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 22 queries.