Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Plain Geordie & Curly Kate,  (Read 13786 times)

Wasyl

Plain Geordie & Curly Kate,
« on: December 13, 2009, 01:55:36 pm »

Can any of the "older members"and possibly some of the not so old,know where they would find these two
I,ll start you off with a little hint...you,ll find them in plain but not in pan????? {-)I,ve probably said too much, {-)

Wullie

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Plain Geordie & Curly Kate,
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 02:22:53 pm »

In the Breadbin.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 02:33:05 pm »

Geordie is bottom of loaf.

Curly Kate is top of loaf.

So it really depends what you do with your bread.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bradley

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 04:53:42 pm »

Haway then me bonnie lads, translate this one -

'wisht lad had yer gobs' {:-{

and what does it come from? ;)

Derek.

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 05:42:01 pm »

'Come along chaps and keep your mouths closed' and ........I'll tell yer all an awful story ! - The Lambton Worm that grew and grew with a geet big heed, geet big ears and geet big googly eyes  :o and there is still the spiral path around Penshaw hill where it wrapped itself round and squeezed !

Mike

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 05:46:34 pm »

traditional Geordie song about the Lambton Worm

Bradley

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 06:06:50 pm »

I see you Southerners know a bit about our North-Eastern heritage :-)) ok2 :-)
I remember, as a child my mother saying 'don't sit there like Penshaw Monument' when she wanted us to get up and do something.
I'm afraid that a lot of the Geordie/North-Eastern dialect is now being lost - great shame :((

Derek.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 06:44:06 pm »

Penshaw Monument stands on the top of Penshaw Hill on the outskirts of Sunderland.

Dont suppose it wanted to move. ok2

Wasyl

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 09:56:53 pm »

Up here north of Hadrians Wall,our definition of a Geordie,...is wait for it...a "Scotsman with his head bashed in"..don,t ask me where it comes from,cause i don,t know,its just wot we were told from day one %%
..I,ve got some pals who are Geordies,you don,t want to know what they call me...? {-)
btw
may i offer my commiserations to all Geordies, seeing as how Newcastle Broon ale will no longer be made in Newcastle, <:(

Wullie

sentry

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 12:07:34 am »

Think of England as a pint of milk the cream always floats to the top.

Sentry.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 01:44:02 am »

That is a dangerous analogy.
Before anybody posts the obvious rebuttal, think please.
Do we want that on the forum.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 02:44:16 am »

<*< Here we go............. Strictly speaking .......................... the northern eastern dialects :police: .......... Geordies are Tynesiders. Folks in Northumberland, Durham, and Wearside,Teeside are quite/very different dialects. Coal mining communities/areas throughout the region have 'pitmatic  dialects with subtle differences. Gather speakers from each area and put them socially in the same room (preferably a pub) and you will  immediately hear/recognise the different dialects.
Brown Ale or Brown Dog is now a poser's drink for tourists/wannabees. Durham folk would be offended to hear that their 'Worm Song' is Geordie. Get a copy of Blaydon Races and read/hear the difference. The Geordie anthem was really, in my memory, the beautiful love song 'The Waters of Tyne' - especially so, when it is sung by young voices. The series with James Bolam - 'When the Boat comes In' was very accurate. The famous Geordie comic - Bobby Thompson (The Little Waster) was the real deal. {-) {-) {-) It's very easy to get it wrong. ok2

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 07:43:49 am »

Perfectly explained Mr Perkasaman, I wonder if other parts of the uk have so many variations in dialect in such a small area. I remember when that idiot made a tape pretending to be the Yorkshire Ripper I knew he was from Sunderland immediately (as doubtlessly, did so many other north easteners) and that was all of 5 miles away from where I lived (S Shields - Well Done Joe !!! Haway the lads  :-)) )

Mike

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 10:23:52 am »

Mike can also claim to be a 'sand dancer'  8)

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 10:37:50 am »

Mike can also claim to be a 'sand dancer'  8)

And an adopted 'skate ender' I was going to try the dialect spelling but changed my mind - something like skiet ender. ie I lived for a while on the Law Top, which leaves non Shields folk probably non the wiser  O0 {-)

Mike

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 10:49:32 am »

And an adopted 'skate ender' I was going to try the dialect spelling but changed my mind - something like skiet ender. ie I lived for a while on the Law Top, which leaves non Shields folk probably non the wiser  O0 {-)

Mike
Oh yeah.
The Law Top area, only minutes away from Arbeia Roman Fort (at the end of Hadrian's Wall), and the North Marine Park (which overlooks the harbour) in South Shields by the sea, located at the Mouth of The River Tyne

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 11:32:16 am »

The Roman Army built a fort called 'Arbeia'  on the 'Law Top'  - it  was an island in those times  :o  (A tributary of the Tyne flowed around this mini fortress isle which later silted up - formed +/- modern 'Ocean Road'. (A must for tourists/curry fans)  :-))

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 11:40:38 am »

Here we go............. Strictly speaking .......................... the northern eastern dialects  .......... Geordies are Tynesiders. Folks in Northumberland, Durham, and Wearside,Teeside are quite/very different dialects. Coal mining communities/areas throughout the region have 'pitmatic  dialects with subtle differences. Gather speakers from each area and put them socially in the same room (preferably a pub) and you will  immediately hear/recognise the different dialects.
Brown Ale or Brown Dog is now a poser's drink for tourists/wannabees. Durham folk would be offended to hear that their 'Worm Song' is Geordie. Get a copy of Blaydon Races and read/hear the difference. The Geordie anthem was really, in my memory, the beautiful love song 'The Waters of Tyne' - especially so, when it is sung by young voices. The series with James Bolam - 'When the Boat comes In' was very accurate. The famous Geordie comic - Bobby Thompson (The Little Waster) was the real deal.    It's very easy to get it wrong.

Quite funny really, the examples given: James Bolam (great actor) from (Wearside) I think, Bobby Thompson lived in Shiney Row (hardly Tyneside in my book).
Perhaps the best description of "A Geordie" was given as 'The Scots didn't want us, the English wouldn't have us, so there we are, a race apart. {-)
There was a debate some time ago on a local TV show as to the origin of the term "Geordie". The presenter put forward the idea that dated back to the development of miners safety lamps (there had been a number of very large gas explosions in local mines). A competion was held to design a safety lamp, two main people involved (1) George Stephenson (2) Humphrey Davy. It was claimed that the Stephenson lamp was superior and that the areas that adopted it were named "Geordies". The Davy lamp was actually approved, but it was claimed that he had contacts in high places and the competition was really rigged.
(Takes cover now) What happened to the definition that a Geordie had to be born within the sound of Swans hooter?
And yes, I was, less than a mile from the main gate to Wallsend Shipyard.

omra85

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 11:49:31 am »

I think you'll find that most areas within the UK have quite different dialects or accents often within a small area.
When I was in the Army, many years ago, I prided myself on my ability to distinguish between Bolton, Blackburn or Burnley; Harlow, Colchester or Southend; Derby and Nottingham; Leeds and Bradford; Birmingham and the Black Country - often to the speaker's considerable surprise (I got more than a few pnts betting on this)!
I think though nowadays as folks move about the country much more frequently, the accents are getting "watered down" and soon, apart from very rural areas, will become almost standardised.
Ah well, we'll have to think of some other reason to extract the ur*ne  %)

Danny

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 12:08:34 pm »

Alreet Dicky, yer a Marra! Yeh geordie noow  :police: ( Wuh'll let yeh - keep yah feet still Dicky Hinnie!) nex time yer up wuh'll gan forra curri doon oshun rode - Keep a had!!!   ;) :-)  Keep yah vine goin Bonny Lad.  :-))

Proposa: Perky Secondas: Blubord an Micky - Yer in DD - Neebody els mind!  :police:

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2009, 12:38:50 pm »

Howair Lads, NEE nit pickin, Reet? - Am keepin toot............ wah taakin aboot 'twangggggg'.   :police:

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 01:37:02 pm »

You're not related to wor Dorfy by any chance   %)

Mike

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 01:42:43 pm »

Alreet Dicky, yer a Marra! Yeh geordie noow  :police: ( Wuh'll let yeh - keep yah feet still Dicky Hinnie!) nex time yer up wuh'll gan forra curri doon oshun rode - Keep a had!!!   ;) :-)  Keep yah vine goin Bonny Lad.  :-))

Proposa: Perky Secondas: Blubord an Micky - Yer in DD - Neebody els mind!  :police:
Does this mean I've got to learn another language then ?

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 04:23:46 pm »

Divvent fret Marra wuh'll larn yuh - wuh naa wot wuh like an wuh like wot wuh naa - savvy wor Dicky - yeh wors noo! Gerra car sticka:
'DIVVENT DUNSHUS WAH GEORDIES' - Flawnt it man - heed up an lukin canny!!!!!  :-))

Wasyl

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2009, 07:03:07 pm »

That Geordie language,would tak some waterin doon you,d need gallons of the stuff,and the same can be said aboot Aiberdeen,i,l ive only 60 miles south of Aberdeen,and i,ve got to take a word translator with me to understand wit their sayin, "yi ken wit a mean Loon,fit yi sayin min,wid ya tak a look it them Quins, then if you gan tae Dundee, its a Pehs and Taes and a bottle o Tam Mcgovern {-)

Wullie
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.