Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: INSURANCE WRITE- OFF  (Read 6847 times)

Patternmaker

INSURANCE WRITE- OFF
« on: December 13, 2009, 04:42:06 pm »

I recently bought this car at a local salvage auction for my grandson, 2001 Rover 25 Impression, Category D insurance
write-off.
I did an HPI check before bidding, I owner, 47000 miles Cat D insurance loss Sept 2009. I won the car for £410.00.

The car is immaculate with no other damage, recently serviced, 4 almost new tyres, spare unused complete with toolkit, jack wheel brace & locking wheel nut adaptor.

The repair took me a little over 3 hours to complete, 1 hour to Panel beat and the rest to prep, prime, basecoat, lacquer and
Polish, total cost including second hand light unit £28.36.

The only other work I carried out was to replace the alternator bearings and change the radio cassette for a CD player.

This car should never have been written off, I assume the insurance company would have paid out the trade value of £845.00 to the owner;. Dealers forecourt price for this car would be in the region of £1,450.00 now because its classified as an insurance loss the car has lost 1/3 of its value.

Insurance assessors appear to assume that dents cannot be removed from cars anymore just replace the panel; in this case it
Would have been a rear quarter, not necessary or viable, not that I mind my Grandson now has a very nice car. 

Bradley

Re: INSURANCE WRITE- OFF
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 05:09:36 pm »

Looks like you did a very good repair job. :-))  My wife used to have one of these and it was a nice little car.  I wonder why Rover went down the proverbial - no, I don't really wonder, it was obviously down to (mis)management >:-o - I think that they were as good as any other mass-produced car at the time especially the '75'.

Derek.

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 05:23:14 pm »

are they not expensive to insure when they are cat D repaired

Peter

Greggy1964

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 05:32:45 pm »

I bought a Cat D Audi 80 with a dent in the front wing and a crease on the forward edge of the passenger front door.

It was delivered from the salvage yard with a replacement wing and door for less than £300.00 in all.

I fixed it up and put it back on the road, the MOT station gave it a thorough inspection and a certificate of inspection and road worthiness.

Turned out to be one of the best cars I've owned :-))

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 05:45:57 pm »

It's the labour costs that would have written this car off, I recently had a small repair done to my car where a lovely little ten year old rode his bike in to my car causing a scratch on the bonnet and damage to the bumper which cost £450 to fix of that £112 was for materials the rest labour.

I have attached two photos of the damage
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Patternmaker

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 06:50:08 pm »

Looks like you did a very good repair job. :-))  My wife used to have one of these and it was a nice little car.  I wonder why Rover went down the proverbial - no, I don't really wonder, it was obviously down to (mis)management >:-o - I think that they were as good as any other mass-produced car at the time especially the '75'.

Derek.

The Rover was a very much underated car, very well built and as you said as good as any other small hatchback.
The K series engines got bad press for headgasket failure this was mainly due to poor servicing, antifreeze must be changed every 2 years.

I can say from experience that the quality of paintwork is far better than many other mass produced cars and very rarely suffer from rust if properly looked after. I had a 1999 Rover 216 SLI for over 5 years, rust free, never let me down, passed its MOT every year, all I replaced was; battery and rear exhaust

The labour costs would not have written my Rover 25 off if the quarter panel had been repaired and not replaced.

Cat D damaged cars do not need a VIC check just a normal MOT and do not cost any more to insure.

I would not advise anyone to buy a Cat C damaged car which normaly have chassis and suspension damage and will require a VIC check plus an MOT to get them back on the road

Greggy1964

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2009, 07:41:16 pm »

Yeah it helps if your handy with a welding set and a box of spanners.

That's the beauty of the set up, labour costs amount to a packet of chocolate biscuits and a gallon on tea fed to you at regular intervals O0

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2009, 09:17:48 pm »

Depending on the age of the car and how good its been in your ownership, its sometimes best not involving the insurance co and just pay for the repairs out of your own pocket.

If any car is written off, it'll always appears as a write off on the insurance register unless you have a certificate of roadworthiness (not MOT) so this would always affect its sell on value.

Insurance repair is a racket. Take your car to any repairer and the first question they'll likely ask you is 'are you paying for it yourself or is it an insurance job?' You'll find as much as 40% added to an insurance quote.

Nice little car though. I had one new back in 96. Lovely gearbox. Had to give the first one back within the 30 day exchange programme they did though because it leaked and they couldnt find where it was coming from!

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2009, 10:44:05 pm »

If anyone is any good with a spanner and a can of paint- that'll be a boat modeller then- cosmetic and minor mechanical repairs can be undertaken on your own car to very good end. I recently had a small prang- clipped wingmirrors with a car on a corner, we both decided we were at fault and just drove away.

I logged onto 'Parts Gateway' and put in my reqeust for my Audi A3 drivers wingmirror with electric heater and electric adjust- parts, postage, paint and my labor (free!) came to £70!

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Patternmaker

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 08:41:24 am »

Category C means the vehicle has been extensively damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. It may be repaired and put back on the road, subject to a Vehicle Identity Check, and is re-registered as damaged repaired.

With Cat D the vehicle has been damaged and the insurer has decided not to repair, usually due to the cost of repairs at full commercial rate. When fixed it can be re-registered as damaged repaired. It doesn't need a VIC.

This also applies to Caravans the only difference being Cat D repaired once registered with CRIS are taken off damaged list and is not recorded on the registration document unlike cars where it is always recorded on the bottom of the V5.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 11:52:45 am »

Category C means the vehicle has been extensively damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. It may be repaired and put back on the road, subject to a Vehicle Identity Check, and is re-registered as damaged repaired.

With Cat D the vehicle has been damaged and the insurer has decided not to repair, usually due to the cost of repairs at full commercial rate. When fixed it can be re-registered as damaged repaired. It doesn't need a VIC.

This also applies to Caravans the only difference being Cat D repaired once registered with CRIS are taken off damaged list and is not recorded on the registration document unlike cars where it is always recorded on the bottom of the V5.

This is correct and in no way a reflection on the quality of workmanship in this example. But if it does not have an inspection certificate, it will always appear on the insurance register as a write off. An HPI, Experian or any other form of vehicle background history check will highlight this to the potential purchaser which will ultimately affect its re sale vale.

Patternmaker

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 11:56:33 am »

If any car is written off, it'll always appears as a write off on the insurance register unless you have a certificate of roadworthiness (not MOT) so this would always affect its sell on value.

A certificate of roadworthiness is an MOT

Quote from UK/gov. website

A certificate of road worthiness is Legal requirements
All motor vehicles in the UK must be registered, taxed and insured. If the car is more than 3 years old, the car must be checked and a Certificate of Roadworthiness, known as an MoT Test, obtained every year before the expiry of the last MoT, which is valid for 12 months.

Checking a vehicle’s identity
The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) carries out the VIC. It’s designed to confirm the car’s identity and help ensure that the genuine car is returned to the road.

The VIC takes around 20 minutes to complete and involves comparing the details on the DVLA vehicle record against the car presented. The VIC is a check of identity, it doesn’t look at the quality of the repair or confirm roadworthiness. If you have any concerns regarding these aspects, you should seek the opinion of an independent expert.

Once a car has passed a VIC, the V5C issued will be annotated to show ‘substantially repaired and/or accident damaged; identity checked on dd/mm/ccyy’.

andygh

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 02:29:48 pm »

My Rover 600 was one of the best cars I've ever owned, bought from a back street dealer, I loved it. My wifes 214 on the other hand, bought from a reputable Rover dealership, was a dog.

Greggy1964

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2009, 03:09:34 pm »

You have to put it all into context,

I myself was looking for a cheap motor, I'm good at fixing stuff, I had no intentions of resale, but to run my Audi80 into the ground which is exactly what I did.

But 4 years after shaking hands over the purchase. :-))

It broke my heart watching it finally being crushed  <:( as it was a great car but like all machines, they have a finite life.

So I went out and found another Audi80, a younger model perfect except for a blown engine. I whipped out the plastic and bought an engine from a rear end right off, junked the old engine and shoved the new one in and did the whole game again. :D

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2009, 03:35:41 pm »

i bought a salvage car too, it was not an insurance write off .. the previous owner had given the bumper a knock, - the painted plastic bumper and the headlamp were cracked and needed replacing,

- the owner chose not to go through the insurance as they were changing the car anyway, the trade in figures they were given were very low - so foolishly they took the decision to sell it at auction..... i viewed the car prior to going and bidding,- i got the previouis keepers details from the logbook, i verified the 36k mileage from the supplying  dealer/garage who serviced the car from new... all was looking good...

the damage was light, the bumper was an easy  job to fit a replacement- the only bit i was unsure of was the 2 tone paint scheme on the bumper...i knew the headlight was about £100 from the local motor factors,-ok it would take a little bit of time to sort it out, it needed a new MOT,  but  if i could get the car for the right price it was going to be a good little runaround.... the car in good condition booked at approx £6000...

i went on the day of the auction with pound notes and a idea of what i wanted to pay....... i am not sure if the fact was it was damaged that put off bidders or no one wanted it as its a 'french postman pat van' as SWMBO calls it - but i walked away with my new car for a mere £1200...

i paid the  buyers fee of about £100 and stuck it on a trailer and away i went....

the bumper cost me £120 to buy, the foglights that are set into it were another £50, the headlight was £105, the grill was only slightly cracked but  i found one on ebay  which luckily was the right colour for for £20....

i and a pal masked off the bumper and sprayed it, keeping our fingers crossed for no runs or sags and the results are perfectly acceptable, - so i now have a car that took about 3 weekends to sort and was a very cheap purchase- and i have the bonus that it was never recorded as accident damged or a write off-

i guess the previous owners just did not want the hassle...

after a few weekends under it, it was fixed.... the end result is below,

all in all its just another brick in the wall......

Patternmaker

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 03:41:17 pm »

Excellent result Guy

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2009, 05:33:25 pm »

A certificate of roadworthiness is an MOT

Quote from UK/gov. website

A certificate of road worthiness is Legal requirements
All motor vehicles in the UK must be registered, taxed and insured. If the car is more than 3 years old, the car must be checked and a Certificate of Roadworthiness, known as an MoT Test, obtained every year before the expiry of the last MoT, which is valid for 12 months.

Checking a vehicle’s identity
The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) carries out the VIC. It’s designed to confirm the car’s identity and help ensure that the genuine car is returned to the road.

The VIC takes around 20 minutes to complete and involves comparing the details on the DVLA vehicle record against the car presented. The VIC is a check of identity, it doesn’t look at the quality of the repair or confirm roadworthiness. If you have any concerns regarding these aspects, you should seek the opinion of an independent expert.

Once a car has passed a VIC, the V5C issued will be annotated to show ‘substantially repaired and/or accident damaged; identity checked on dd/mm/ccyy’.

An MOT is only a certificate of roadworthiness on the day it was issued.

Look, Im not saying a Cat D or even a Cat C properly repaired isnt road worthy or even a good buy for someone on a budget. Just look at 'Wrecks to Riches.' Howver any car that has been written off will show as such in any vehicle check unless it has the relevant ticket on it and that's not the MOT.

Patternmaker

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2009, 06:05:24 pm »

An MOT is only a certificate of roadworthiness on the day it was issued.

Look, Im not saying a Cat D or even a Cat C properly repaired isnt road worthy or even a good buy for someone on a budget. Just look at 'Wrecks to Riches.' Howver any car that has been written off will show as such in any vehicle check unless it has the relevant ticket on it and that's not the MOT.

Yes that is correct, but where do you obtain the relevant ticket, as I said the write-off categories will still be recorded on the front off the V5 registration document issued by the DVLA regardless of any documentation, in order to show prospective buyers the vehicles history.

knoby

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2009, 07:29:57 pm »

Hi all. I want aware it was possible to get any 'ticket' that would remove the write off category from the v5 log book. I thought the whole idea of recording the categorization was to ensure people knew the vehicle history. I have repaired several cat C & D cars over the years, & although I have heard rumour of this elusive 'ticket' before, whenever I have asked the people where do I take a car to get one of these they have been un able to tell me.

Cheers Glenn

Patternmaker

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2009, 07:58:30 pm »

Correct Glenn, I have also have been in the motor trade involved in insurance repairs for many years, and have never ever heard of this illusive ticket.
Another point I would like to raise is the fact of all the thousands of unrecorded damaged vehicles, vehicles that are under 3 years old which do not require an MOT which can be put back on the road without inspection if they are Cat D and uninsured vehicles that are damaged
that have been repaired with no record on the V5

Patternmaker

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2010, 08:10:21 pm »

My latest project, cat D 2008 Fiesta Ghia only 9000 miles

Patternmaker

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 07:22:28 pm »

Projsct finished, now its back to boats

Greggy1964

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 08:01:47 pm »

good job! O0

respect! :-))

{-) {-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 23 queries.