Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robin Hoods Bay and Boggle Hole???  (Read 2723 times)

Wasyl

Robin Hoods Bay and Boggle Hole???
« on: December 15, 2009, 11:57:03 am »

Can anyone please explain the origins of Robin Hoods Bay,and Boggle Hole,the reason i ask, is,last year my wife and I were holidaying in this region,and were amazed at the names of these places,I like most of us,have always associated Robin Hood,with Nottingham,and a Boggle as being a Troll,but to have these two bays next to each other,was a bit perplexing,mind you,this area is beautiful,

Wullie

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Robin Hoods Bay and Boggle Hole???
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 12:00:53 pm »

But you forget that he was proported to be courting a bird that was based in Nostel Priory in Wakefield, so a bit further North east for Holidays???

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Wasyl

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 12:04:47 pm »

A Burd??what kind o"Burd??? {-)ok that takes care o" him,what about the Boggle {-)

Wullie

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 12:14:47 pm »

Boggle Hole. In the local mythology, a Boggle is the local name for a hobgoblin, mischievous 'little people' that were thought to live in caves along the coast. Boggle Hole is a natural cave formed by wave action where smugglers used to land their contraband in past times.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 12:16:23 pm »

Robin Hood’s Bay is a small fishing town or village located five miles south of Whitby on the coast of North Yorkshire, England. Bay Town, as it is known to the locals, is in the ancient parish of Fylingdales and in the wapentake of Whitby Strand.

The origin of the name is uncertain, and it is doubtful if Robin Hood was ever in the vicinity. The bay may be called Robin Hood's Bay, because of the English ballad said according to legend, Robin Hood went out in his fishing trip and he encountered pirates who came to pillage the fisherman's boat. He got the French pirates to surrender and returned the goods that the pirates have robbed during the plundering of the northeast coast of England to the poor peoples. Robin Hood return home to his Merry Men from his trip of fighting the pirates and gave the pirates' loot to the poor people of the village of the bay that is now called Robin Hood's Bay.

both this and the lasty answer sourced on Wikipedia.org
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

andygh

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 02:01:43 pm »

Robin Hood was from Halifax, Sherwood Forrest was BIG in the middle ages

richtea

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 08:04:13 pm »

Robin of Loxley was one of the names given to Robin Hood.
Loxley is in Hallamshire( Sheffield area today), In ancient times this area was part of the Barnsdale forest, which with Sherwood forest made the forest of Robin's legend.
At Castleton in the Peak District the adjacent castle(Peveril Castle) was built by the Sheriff of Nottingham, and Little Johns grave is in the church yard at Hathersage.
In medieval times the local boundaries on Hallam Moor were in dispute between Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire, so there are many claims to Robin Hood.
The Sloane manuscript says that Robin Hood was born in the Bradfield Parrish of Hallamshire (Loxley).He was so riotous that he lost or sold his patrimony (inheritance) and for debt became an outlaw.
Most of this I know because I am a local of this area. For the information on the Sloane manuscript I googled Robin Hood Loxley and followed the thread.

Greggy1964

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 08:28:10 pm »

What wrong with Boggle Hole and Robin Hoods Bay?

We have a place called Wetwang not far from me as well! O0 {-)

Wasyl

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 08:58:17 pm »

I never said there was anything wrong with Boggle Hole,i stayed at the Hostel there for a couple of nights,but is a "xxxxx" of a walk from the car park, when you,ve had an ale or two too many, {-)

Wullie

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 10:49:55 pm »

Drove past Kirby Overblow the other day- anybody know the origins of that one..... {-)

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Wasyl

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 10:56:43 pm »

I never said there was anything wrong with Boggle Hole,i stayed at the Hostel there for a couple of nights,but is a "xxxxx" of a walk from the car park, when you,ve had an ale or two too many, {-)

Wullie
Looks like there,s one x short, {-)

Wullie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.