Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What boat should I put my Gemini in?  (Read 5614 times)

Underpressure

What boat should I put my Gemini in?
« on: December 15, 2009, 12:13:32 pm »

I am a working boat fan, more especially tugs. I don't know what it is about them, but there is nothing better to me than a steam powered model tug.

As I am close to completing the installation of a Cheddar V4 engine into a big tug and I am a LONG way off sailing the Clyde Puffer which is also underway, I am considering what boat should I put my Cheddar Gemini into, having run it for the first time this morning (nice engine).

Having seen the thread showing a rather elegant turn of the century launch, I'm almost inclined in that direction...almost.

So come on, suggestions, persuasion and arm bending all acceptable, what's next boys?

wideawake

Re: What boat should I put my Gemini in?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 01:07:13 pm »

Having seen the thread showing a rather elegant turn of the century launch, I'm almost inclined in that direction...almost.

So come on, suggestions, persuasion and arm bending all acceptable, what's next boys?

If you go for a launch then there's plenty of choice.  I have a Gemini in a Krick Victoria (kit) launch
and another waiting to go in a Duncan (kingston mouldings hull) but those are only two of the options.

http://www.kingstonmouldings.com/pdthameslaunch.htm

HTH

Guy

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 06:29:29 pm »

Windermere Launch from Kingston Mouldings for me- would look perfect with a mahogany engine casing.....

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Underpressure

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 06:58:44 pm »

Nah! No ones got my juices flowing yet. Gondolier, if I want to cover the engine, I'll put it in a tug  {-)

The Victorian launch that is posted in another thread is the only sort of open boat I can find that I like, but I can't find a similar hull or plan.

I'm leaning towards a tug chaps, unless you can convince me otherwise  ok2

Neil

wideawake

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 07:08:13 pm »

Nah! No ones got my juices flowing yet. Gondolier, if I want to cover the engine, I'll put it in a tug  {-)

The Victorian launch that is posted in another thread is the only sort of open boat I can find that I like, but I can't find a similar hull or plan.

I'm leaning towards a tug chaps, unless you can convince me otherwise  ok2

Neil

Hi Neil

Which one is that.  Can you post a link to the thread then we can all see if we know anything similar that we can get you hooked on.

cheers

Guy

Underpressure

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 07:59:43 pm »

If you know what you want so much why are you asking!!!! :-))

Greg

This is an engine CASING not a cover-

Underpressure

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 08:30:26 pm »

If you know what you want so much why are you asking!!!!

I was hoping you guys would be able to show me some other examples or point me i the right direction.  :((

Plus I thought it might encourage people to post a few photos of nice boats.

Oh, and to have a bit of fun.

Neil

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 09:17:18 pm »

My steam wagon   or if you are feeling flush a vigilant By MHB

peter

Steam wagon looks better if the cab is put on stright

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 09:46:36 pm »

I was hoping you guys would be able to show me some other examples or point me i the right direction.  :((

Plus I thought it might encourage people to post a few photos of nice boats.

Oh, and to have a bit of fun.

Neil

I think you mistook my sense of humour for sarcasm- I didn't mean what I said literally Neil, just 'yanking your chain'.

I think what your asking is a difficult question to answer- you havn't pointed out exactly what you like about the boat you mentioned in the post and all of us have different ideas of what we think is the ideal open launch.

The hull I mentioned is very similar to what you are after. You could do a search on Google which will turn up many results- try Kingston Mouldings, Orion Mouldings, Westbourne Models, Cornwall Model Boats and 'Open Steam Launch'.

Also search the SBA GB's register of launches to give yourself a better idea of what's out there full size.

Again, sorry for any offence I caused.

Greg

Underpressure

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 07:29:09 am »

I think you mistook my sense of humour for sarcasm- I didn't mean what I said literally Neil, just 'yanking your chain'.

I think what your asking is a difficult question to answer- you havn't pointed out exactly what you like about the boat you mentioned in the post and all of us have different ideas of what we think is the ideal open launch.

The hull I mentioned is very similar to what you are after. You could do a search on Google which will turn up many results- try Kingston Mouldings, Orion Mouldings, Westbourne Models, Cornwall Model Boats and 'Open Steam Launch'.

Also search the SBA GB's register of launches to give yourself a better idea of what's out there full size.

Again, sorry for any offence I caused.

Greg

Hey Greg, no apology needed, offence taken, I can withstand more than a little ribbing.

I've looked all over the place for a hull that appeals and just can't find it. Kingston Mouldings Duncan is close, but the stern is not right and I also think it would be overpowered with a Gemini.

I have found this full sized manufacturer and quite like the hull lines of the Linnett, but my building skills don't stretch to building from scratch:  Linky: http://www.selway-fisher.com/Steamover30.htm

Trouble is, I'm not sure what I like; next closest thing would be a MHB Topaz, but without the superstructure and I'm not flush enough to buy and £800 kit and throw most of  the contents away  :o

Maybe I'll just take the easy route and go with a Mountfleet Cruiser tug.

Neil

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 08:10:59 am »

Hi Neil,

I think you overestimate the skill needed to build one of selway-fishers hulls- they are designed specifically for diy builders and the plans are drawn as such- they even do books on how to strip plank.

I know of LOTS of boats built by their owners (mostly Indian Runner and Edwardian designs), most had never built a boat before, and they all look fantastic- If you did go down this route then a phonecall to S-F would clarify any details and also give you options.

MHB are worth a call too, they may have a spare hull that they'll sell to you- probably make more profit from just selling you the hull anyway.

You could of course design your own boat....

Greg

Underpressure

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 08:20:18 am »

Ooops, I've just realised there is a HUGE typo in my last post. It should have read that NO offence was taken.  :embarrassed:

Greg, I have enough trouble making the time to refurbish models or build from a kit, designing my own would be a serious undertaking.

I'll keep digging; I know what I want is out there, maybe some visits to shows this summer will turn something up.

Of course in the mean time I could always do some sketches......

Neil

Underpressure

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 08:56:28 am »

OK, latest picture search (Greg you're going to love this), I really like the look of Bat, the steam launch which I saw many years ago at the Windermere Steam Boat Museum (now sadly closed...but that's another subject).

Anyone know where I could get some drawings of Bat?

Neil

wideawake

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 10:07:42 am »

OK, latest picture search (Greg you're going to love this), I really like the look of Bat, the steam launch which I saw many years ago at the Windermere Steam Boat Museum (now sadly closed...but that's another subject).

Anyone know where I could get some drawings of Bat?

Neil

I don't know where you can get drawings Neil, though the ex-Windermere museum archive presumably went somewhere if they had one.   Gondolier is your man!   However the Kingston Mouldings Windermere launch hull is said by Robin Whitmarsh to be "based on" Bat

http://www.kingstonmouldings.com/pd1904windermere.html

HTH

Guy

kno3

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 11:59:17 am »

Der Seekadett from MHB is a really beautiful steam launch:
http://www.model-steam-boats.co.uk/seekadett_navigation.htm

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009, 09:04:21 pm »

I don't know where you can get drawings Neil, though the ex-Windermere museum archive presumably went somewhere if they had one.   Gondolier is your man!   However the Kingston Mouldings Windermere launch hull is said by Robin Whitmarsh to be "based on" Bat

Guy

{-) 'Based on'- what a great term that is!!!!! The model bears NO resemblance to Bat- I think Kingston got mixed up when they said Bat- I think the hull is actually modelled on Branksome- looks exactly the same- except for being covered in chemicals, stuffed in a damp hangar, riddled with holes and rot and forgotten about.

Don't get me started on the museum! A bit of a sore point <:(

The trust that is in "care"  >>:-( of the museum is not forthccoming with any information and will not help anyone except themselves!

<*< <*< <*<........... :DHowever that said, you have very good taste Neil- Bat is a truly beautiful boat- just perfect proportions.

She was also the first RC steam boat- google it :-))

John Hemmens made scale rivet perfect models of her in the mid eighties- selling for over £2000 back then- they are highly desirable- I wonder if he has any drawings that he would share with you...?

Heres a couple of pics- you may have them already- the bottom one is the boatlift at the museum in '07- bat is the bottom right- sorry for the size.

Greg

Underpressure

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009, 09:38:38 pm »

Greg, thanks for the photos, I have some, but not the ones you posted.

I would actually like something a little bit longer, but so far Bat is as close as I can find and I really like the simple interior.

I know of a set of drawings, but all information would be useful. I don't intend to build an exact scale model of Bat, but something along very similar lines would be just the job.

Neil

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2009, 11:05:54 pm »

You know Neil, I was thinking about your dilemma and have an elegant solution-

An open river tug/barge.

These were large displacement, wide beamed, shallow draft vessels. They had the steam plant at the stern, rather like a puffer, however they were only 40-50ft long so all the machinery was above decks- usually tiller steered they didn't even have a deckhouse of any sort, sometimes a shallow cargo hold, but more often than not just a well deck at waterline where passengers/animals/cargo etc could be ferried and on the back a large prop would be stuck to give decent pulling power to move lighters and such around.

Simpson & Strickland have a few in their catalogues- i'll scan some and show you them. It may be the comprimise your looking for- satisfying your new found need for an open steam boat, but keeping it in the workboat theme that you prefer.

Greg

Underpressure

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009, 07:56:47 am »

Sounds like an interesting subject. Not necessarily the right home for my Gemini, but I never need much of an excuse to buy another engine  :}

Neil
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.