Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Somesay  (Read 2591 times)

DaveB

Somesay
« on: December 15, 2009, 03:58:24 pm »

Hello All
I fancied building something a bit different as a quick project whilst building the trent and decided on an airboat, i'm using the hull from Mobile Marine Models as much from the spares box as possible and a cheap motor esc and lipo's from Hong Kong i was going to use an action man as the pilot then spotted The STIG in sainsburys on special offer hence the name the motor does 3800 revs per volt so i'm hoping the performance should be a bit of a blast here's the progress so far.
Dave

Mark47

Re: Somesay
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 04:46:39 pm »

Well he is knowen to drive everything so why not?  {-) {-) {-)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 05:36:00 pm »

Dave,

This might be helpful:

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18260.0

It goes well! :-))

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

DaveB

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 04:51:01 pm »

Hello Ian
Thanks for that link i like your idea for the rudder post i've done that for the cage over the prop but i have'nt left enough room to do that at the stern so i'll have to be a bit more conventional on mine, i'll start on the cage at some point tomorrow which i'm not really looking forward too but it's gotta be done.
Dave

DaveB

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 08:12:39 am »

Hello All
So much for the quick build, Anyway she's finished now i made a few changes whilst building and testing, the motor felt wrong so i've changed that still the same size but pushes out 4000 revs per volt the esc i was going to use needed a seperate battery pack so i changed that to a fan cooled 45amp with bec, so far i've only tested her on the bench and a couple of times on the carpet so hopefully this morning she'll get her bum wet on Alexandria park boating pool, i hope to get a video of that so i'll try to get that posted later.
Dave

DaveB

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 07:18:31 pm »

Well unfortunately Stig got more than his bum wet this time, It looks as if the center of gravity was too high so i've dropped the seat height by 20mm i've also reduced the rudder area by 50 per cent the only damage was to the battery pack so with a bit of luck i'll get another test in soon. The main objective was obtained it is damn good fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN9AE5blk0g
Dave

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 07:26:38 pm »

Certainly goes well and looks a load of fun.  Might have a go on one of these now.   :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

hollowhornbear

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 10:23:19 pm »

Looks good, couple of thoughts, seems to be riding very bow proud, may be add some weight to the front or move things around to achieve a flatter plane angle or judging from your pics you have some upthrust on the motor,  this would have the effect of pushing the stern down thus raising the bow, maybe remove this. Imay be wrong and welcome any corrections.
I do know the lads where i sail that have built airboats have all turned them over when trying tight turns flat out, and theirs are lower than yours.
hope this helps you get even more fun out it.

DaveB

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 05:41:33 pm »

I had thought she was a little light and have added a couple of ounces of lead on the bows already, hopefully i shall get another test this week before making anymore changes still its all good fun but i have had to order some more lipo's.
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 23 queries.