Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: emusification  (Read 3282 times)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
emusification
« on: December 15, 2009, 06:19:34 pm »

any idea how to flush this out????
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
Re: emusification
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 06:31:09 pm »

Hot water and washing up liquid- But what are you washing it out of?

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

MOG8

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 06:53:03 pm »

You probably mean "emulsification"

mogogear

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 01:11:03 am »

any idea how to flush this out????

Yep, From what is this emulsification " crud" made from?  I assume it is in your boiler?? or condenser?

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 06:03:05 am »

klunk.....here is a concise  but simple understanding of term emulsification ...courtesy of wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emulsion

...& so as this question was posted under 'steam'...... we assume it is a relationship between steam oil & water...however hope it does not relate to any thing to do with your boiler  :police:

Natually the best way to remove waste water & residual steam oil from a lubricator type component is to save some boiler pressure [steam] after your run & purge the  lubricator to the condensor......then the fluid is removed via a disposible vacuum needle

One of the advantages of the quartz tubed lubricators is you can clearly see the lines between condensed steam =water....to emulsified water & steam oil...to clean steam oil etc...I will post a .jpg later from the French manufacturer JMC & an example of his offerings ...............Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 06:22:47 am »

Is it in the Displacement lubricator?

peter

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 05:37:42 pm »

At the lake on sunday and the Steam pressure was not coming up. had a look at the sight glass for water and noticed some white stuff coming up the tube, turned the gas off emptied the condenser and then emptied the boiler with silicon tube attached to the large syringe (once it had cooled a little bit ouch ouch burny fingers!)
refilled and lit boiler and as it came up to temp emptied some out of the boiler and kept refilling.This seemed to clear the fault (emulsification!). All I wondered is there anything else that I should do to clean the boiler out??? PS run on pure water (not tap water not deionised either).
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 08:22:47 pm »

It's not emulsigfication then0 that is oil with a water content.

What you have is just an accumulation od TDS's- Totally Dissolveable Solids- these accumulate after a few steamings and can only be cured by blowing down the boiler.

If you had oil in the boiler it would prime- the water would shoot up and down the gauge as the water flashes and condenses on the oil.

Greg

mogogear

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 09:59:09 pm »

It's not emulsigfication then0 that is oil with a water content.

What you have is just an accumulation od TDS's- Totally Dissolveable Solids- these accumulate after a few steamings and can only be cured by blowing down the boiler.

If you had oil in the boiler it would prime- the water would shoot up and down the gauge as the water flashes and condenses on the oil.

Greg

I like to use powdered citric acid in solution in my boilers to clean out solids left over from the water used and when cleaning up a used purchased boiler. 

As a precautionary step most would agree to use high quality water-- distilled- - etc in the first place. Many people will chime in on what water they think is best- but it guards your investment to use - no ( or as low as you prefer)mineral content water clean - filtered, R/O or whatever floats your boat water. Bad water makes bad steam and that will also build up in your engine of time.

Good luck and keep steaming!

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 11:01:02 pm »

You could of course use PH balanced slate filtered mineral water like some people do.............. %)

Loco boiler on Gondola is passing her inspections with flying colours 39years since she was rebuilt- lake water and two blowdowns daily to thank for that.

Greg

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 05:02:29 am »

I've had no experience with model boilers, but in my younger days I had a lot to do with full size ones. We had to add chemicals to the feed water to prevent the build up of scale on the inside of the boiler, and fire tubes. Is this necessary in models?

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 05:29:32 am »

klunk....in Australia...we have a cleaning product called CLR......... "calcium, lime & Rust" just GOOGLE it ...there are pages of references to its ability to remove built up calcium & lime scale in in coffee machines the like

I am approx 80 km south of Sydney in NSW.....& we have excellent quality water....the only additives are traces of chlorine & fluoride

The real concerns of scale build up in a model boiler is that thermal transfer is marginally reduced but more importantly also has the potential of making relief valves sticky or inoperable  :police: ....no no no >>:-(

Distilled water is relative inexpensive [to your investment] if your local water is questionable...but as others have noted in previous postings........NEVER use de-ionized water ..........Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.