Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ba  (Read 8841 times)

Flying Sparks

Re: ba
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2009, 09:28:53 pm »

Bob

I'm not talking about shop stewards, I'm referring to the the guys who run the unions and are paid much more than the people they represent and loose nothing when the workers go out on strike. They are no better than the fat cats who run BA.
At the end of the day the business have to make a profit like it or loathe it. No profit, no business no workers.
I myself have just seen my pay reduced, I could have accepted it, gone on strike, or leave. I chose the latter, I will do much better elsewhere thank thank very much. At the end of the day I had a choice but I did not choose to hold my employers to ransom.

Phil.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2009, 09:41:42 pm »

Bryan,
I hope you still agree while the RFA is privatised and the service set to take the financial cuts and crewing "at risk" that we have.
So money will of course be taken from the operational side and given to shareholders.

Dicky,
Glad you read and believe all that the Daily Mail prints.
So you would be very happy to be flown in a 747 which pays its senior captains sub £20,000 a year, a lot less than a Truck Driver which if you believe the published figures are all on over £40,000 a year. (yes I know they aren't)

Phil,
Most Union Reps (myself included) are unpaid and give up a lot of our spare time.
Why, because we actually care about our industry.
Ego, of course I have an ego but I couldn't just decide on a Strike there has to be a vote, (its called democracy),and the BA vote was 92% in favour of Industrial action.
So the Union Reps have hoodwinked almost all the workforce in BA.
Greedy, why should the crew take reductions an therefore have to cover the other posts?
Would you accept a pay cut, be expected to cover removed posts, or would you be greedy and expect that your job doesn't have to be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.
If you are so concerned why don't you send a donation to help BA out and keep the directors on their inflated salary.

Bob

PS I am off my soapbox now so feel free to comment as I will not answer as I consider I have stated my position as a PROUD Trade Unionist!!
Your last sentence sums it all so well. Inflated salaries are, indeed, an abomination. But the recipients of those "inflated" salaries are, in the main, doing doing their best to sustain a business. I really don't think that arguing about what one person is worth via another is a good basis for an arguement. Managers are supposed to manage. Workers are supposed to work. Inevitably there is going to be a "conflict". The stupid thing about all this is that both sides are "entrenched". "Management" backs down and they are percieved as weak. Unions back down and they are considered as not looking after their members. And these people are supposedly the leaders of our society! I sometimes think that it comes down to a petulant child saying "It's my ball, and you're not playing with it". Grow up, the lot of you , and get on with "life".....as if we were all going to live forever. All these people are transient. But Ego rules yahh!. Stuff the lot of you. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2009, 09:59:46 pm »

As I said earlier, I have belonged to "our" Union for most of my working life on the basis that workers need collective representation. But I've not always been very impressed with the service on offer. A lot of the detail side has been fine if you have an individual problem and need advice and support but the national leadership seems to have been off its trolley more times than not and hasn't inspired confidence in looking after our collective interests.

BA management may indeed be a bunch of "xxxxx" but the company is clearly on its beam ends and making things worse from the business viewpoint is madness. It will only result in job losses at best and maybe liquidation at worst. Maybe UNITE don't care if BA goes down the pan but a marginally lower paid job is better than no job at all in the current economic climate. Remember that too many people have lost their jobs altogether. Now is not a good time to stand on a point of principle, you need to be pragmatic.

Colin

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2009, 10:25:49 pm »

regiment, shouldn't this discussion, albeit a very good one, be in the chit chat section and not model boating??
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

andygh

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2009, 11:08:26 pm »

At the end of the day the business have to make a profit like it or loathe it.

It wasn't always the case that shareholders insisted on taking raises in their profits each year at the expense of their employees while the business is losing money, thanks Thatcher  <*<

Managers are supposed to manage. Workers are supposed to work.

If only managerscould, If only workers had the work to do

Stuff the lot of you. BY.

Nice

ITN and BBC news.

Notoriously inacurate and lazy journalism,  heading into tabloid territory at great speed

They are just being greedy, edged on by overpaid union officials who need to flex their muscles to satisfy their own ego.

Utter tosh

craftysod

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2009, 11:43:11 pm »

Gordon
You have started WW3 in Mayhem  {-)

andygh

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2009, 11:57:54 pm »

Usual suspects  :o  O0  :}

ZZ56

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 04:22:49 am »

The miner's union has been on strike here for oh, about two or three months and the whole local economy is going down the crapper as a result.  Now that the mines are foreign-owned, they have really bit off a great big hunk by striking and i wish them well in chewing and swallowing it. 

cadman17_36

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 05:24:54 am »

I have read all the raplies and thought about what has been said. I for one feel bad of the customer that is going to loose out the most. the ones that have prepaid for tickets and now have to try and find a new flight out and what about the money they have already paid they will prob not get any of it back. I for one am one of the Millions that has lost my job due to the current state of affairs. We also need to look at the snowball effect this is going to have. food services, fuel company, maintenance ppl etc.. is all rolls down hill. Union , Non union makes no difference we all loose when things like happen.

just my thoughts

Steve

Flying Sparks

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 07:44:57 am »

They are just being greedy, edged on by overpaid union officials who need to flex their muscles to satisfy their own ego.

Utter tosh

The two leaders of Unite Derek Simpson and Tony Woodley are paid around £100K each per year. How much pay do they stand to loose if they go on strike? Thats right, nothing.

They will encourage their members to strike, the workers will loose their jobs when BA goes bust, when Unite is running out of members they will amalgamate with another union creating a bigger union that gives the leaders an even bigger pay packet.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2009, 08:29:35 am »

Usual suspects  :o  O0  :}
You wouldn't be one of course ? >>:-(
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

MCAT

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2009, 09:17:23 am »

Have we had all the facts ??   as far as i heard it was to reduce cabin crew by one  and poss two on long flights
and to have the supervisor help serve the customer, thought that was a given ??  and if the wages mentioned are true  bit high
don't you think,

My firm as been cut from 400 to approx 200. I myself have been made redundant twice.  way things are could be three
which would mean the end of my working life due to age.

Any action could have waited two weeks ???  yeah maximum affect over Christmas
just remember the people you are screwing  pay your wages and probably earn far less.

lets hope it dosent happen.

Mick

toesupwa

• Full Mayhemer
  • USA'd ex Brit
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2009, 09:29:58 am »

The Toesup Boat Werks crew are over in GB from the USA.. and are due to fly back to the USA on the 22nd December..

I've flown both BA and Virgin... and of the two, i prefer Virgin Atlantic for their better service..

Fortunately, on this trip, the TBW crew chose to fly Virgin...  :}

regiment

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2009, 06:05:39 pm »

HOW ABOUT RED ROBBI AND THE  CAR FACTORYS  toilet paper wrong colour   all  out not forgetting the ship yards

The long Build

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2009, 06:19:31 pm »

regiment, shouldn't this discussion, albeit a very good one, be in the chit chat section and not model boating??

It is in the Chit Chat section..  or was it moved

Bartapuss

• Full Mayhemer
  • Deltic's Rule OK!
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2009, 08:59:47 pm »

Although I sympathise with anyone having to take a cut in pay and conditions and that BA management is one of the last bastions of Thatcherite fascism, given the current global economic climate at present now is not the right time for BA staff to propose strike action. Lets face it guys & gals if you loose your made unemployed there's no support system whatsoever, so take the body blow the good times are sure to roll around again then start making your demands  O0
Every time I learn something new, it pushes something old out of my brain - I says wot I likes and I likes wot I say!!!

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2009, 09:53:18 pm »

High court blocks Christmas strike by British Airways cabin crew.
So it looks like it wont happen over the Christmas period.
But this will increase the time of the uncertainty and hit bookings.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

cadman17_36

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2009, 01:52:59 am »

Well I'm not sure about the cost of living in the UK but with the rate of exchange between US$ and the UK £ They make Approx. $60,000 ayear US I'll take that anyday (wonders if they will hire a fat middle aged man from US)  :embarrassed:

andygh

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2009, 03:01:58 am »

Although I sympathise with anyone having to take a cut in pay and conditions and that BA management is one of the last bastions of Thatcherite fascism, given the current global economic climate at present now is not the right time for BA staff to propose strike action. Lets face it guys & gals if you loose your made unemployed there's no support system whatsoever, so take the body blow the good times are sure to roll around again then start making your demands

Absolutely spot on sir, just a shame that the share holders aren't prepared to take the "body blow" too  <*<

Well I'm not sure about the cost of living in the UK but with the rate of exchange between US$ and the UK £ They make Approx. $60,000 ayear US I'll take that anyday (wonders if they will hire a fat middle aged man from US)

Not sure where you got that figure from but most cabin crew I know are on much, much less. The cost of living in the UK is horrendous by the way, stealth taxes are everywhere we turn, we even tax the dead

cadman17_36

« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2009, 06:09:39 am »

andygh
"Not sure where you got that figure from but most cabin crew I know are on much, much less. The cost of living in the UK is horrendous by the way, stealth taxes are everywhere we turn, we even tax the dead"

I use a currency exchage calculator it mite be out of date these days. As for being taxed to death and beyound we are too. we have Federal taxes State taxes local and city taxes they tax the estate of the departed. ect....... but anywhooo, was just making light of a bad thing :P

andygh

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2009, 12:11:44 pm »

Sure, I realise you were making light of it. I just wondered where you got the original figure from, the salaries quoted by the media have been grossly exaggerated

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2009, 12:45:17 pm »

Oh to be able to walk a mile in another mans shoes. Nobody on Forum that actually works for BA?????

I was "Corresponding member" for a number of years, but then realised that the "Divisional Organiser" was cra**ing on us and nurtured MY OWN braincell and left the union.

When IS a convenient time to organise a strike??? Even the Power strikes were organised so that you knew when to visit relations who still had electricity. It is sad that the general public are inconvenienced, but at least SOME are prepared to stand up for their rights. Lets get the Christmas holiday period out of the way and then see how many complain at strike action.

Regards   Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

cadman17_36

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2009, 01:05:11 am »

Sure, I realise you were making light of it. I just wondered where you got the original figure from, the salaries quoted by the media have been grossly exaggerated

I got them from this post but hey it is all good and the season is upon us  O0 They don't post much news from over sea's and I try not to watch tomuch of it on the tube (it is to depressing). but I do stay up on the major things like climate summits and fuel cost job market ect...

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2009, 03:16:59 pm »

Well I'm not sure about the cost of living in the UK but with the rate of exchange between US$ and the UK £ They make Approx. $60,000 ayear US I'll take that anyday (wonders if they will hire a fat middle aged man from US)  :embarrassed:

Checked from

http://money.uk.msn.com/your-cash/salary-centre/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=148835859

A member of an airline cabin crew would earn about £12,000 as a new recruit, rising to between £14,000 and £18,000 with experience. Salaries for senior crew can be up to £22,000 a year

A pity newspaper "reporters" can't do the simplest, most basic checks, unless they have politically motivated editors who know that they have a readership who resent being confused by facts.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2009, 06:10:41 pm »

Virgin reportedly pay their cabin crew an average of £14000 per annum and BA reportedly pay their cabin crew an average of £37000 per annum.
Dicky I don't know where you are getting your information from but the above isn't true at all. My best friend works for BA and her retainer is £14,000 pa and when she reaches the top of the pay scale the most she could hope to earn is £24,000.
I am 100% behind the BA cabin crew and their decision to strike, but that is because i know why they are striking, I have all the facts and read the emails.
I urge you all to do the same if you wish to comment on the strike action. If you just believe what the papers are saying and haven't actually bothered to speak to someone who's livelyhood is on the line then I recommend to keep you uniformed opinions to yourselves.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.