Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparrisson  (Read 2603 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Comparrisson
« on: January 23, 2010, 11:58:43 pm »

Well I guess this has all the potential to degenerate into the usual "We hate modern cruise ships" thread but just out of interest I thought some of you might like to see the comparrisson of size of the new 250,000 ton "Oasis of the Seas" against current normal sized vessels.

As a guide the middle of the smaller ones is the Disney Wonder and she is 83,000 tons.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Comparrisson
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 12:24:22 am »

Yes, we hate modern cruise ships - especially the one in the middle!  %)

nick_75au

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 05:49:10 am »

Between the launching of these and ULCC's...... no wonder the sea level is rising :D

Nick

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 06:24:54 am »

As we would say in the Navy the one in the middle is a mickey mouse ship!

Ned

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Roger in France

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 08:03:11 am »

Where on earth was that photograph taken?

If they all arrived laden with tourists just imagine the impact on the local infrastructure. I once saw a cruise ship arrive at a tiny Caribbean port and all the tourists just flooded the town. Within a few minutes every taxi, every coffee shop, every bar wascrammed with Americans all talking at the top of their voices, making derogatory comments about the local culture and complaining that the locals had all turned into operators in the tourist industry!

Roger in France

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:29:44 am »

I willing to undergo extensive study in to live aboard a modern curse liner , if someone is will to fund the research.... all in the name of Mayhem of course!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Patrick Henry

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 09:01:40 am »

Question:

If it were possible to remove every boat from every ocean and sea world wide, would the water levels rise?

Rich

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 09:05:51 am »

By the laws of physics the level should fall as there would be no water displaced

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Patrick Henry

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 09:08:31 am »

Sorry, that was what I meant...  :embarrassed:

That maybe the answer to rising sea levels, then?

Rich

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 11:04:28 am »

The picture was taken from the bridge over to Paradise Island in Nassau.  You are probably looking at somewhere in the region of 15,000 passengers sailing on those ships you can see, all descending on Nassau at the same time.

As for sea levels of course they all displace thier weight of water so the sea levels must rise but when you have sailed the Atlantic and the Pacific a few times you realise what a microscopic amount the displacement of all the ships in the world are compared to the volume of water in  the oceans!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Patrick Henry

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 11:14:01 am »

Oh naff...and I thought I'd come up with the answer to the world's problems  :((

15,000 people all landing at the same place at the same time must be a total logistic nightmare to the port authorities..rather them than me.

Rich

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2010, 12:51:14 pm »

Many years ago on a visit to Hydra (Idra) via a "Flying Dolphin" from Pireaus, the harbour activity, and the WHOLE of the local scene was one of an old Western ghost town. About half an hour later, the place errupted into activity a couple of minutes before one of the cruise ships rolled in, shutters opened, tables laid, music the whole gamut. This lasted untill the gangplank was raised and the ship cast off, total of about an hour, then mass shutdown and back to normal.

Saw this with the arrival and departures of the tourist buses in the villages around the M25 equivalent in the mountains on Crete.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2010, 07:06:47 pm »

15000! I bet Nassau's sewege treatment works were going flat out just after lunch!

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 07:15:28 pm »

The picture was taken from the bridge over to Paradise Island in Nassau.  You are probably looking at somewhere in the region of 15,000 passengers sailing on those ships you can see, all descending on Nassau at the same time.

As for sea levels of course they all displace thier weight of water so the sea levels must rise but when you have sailed the Atlantic and the Pacific a few times you realise what a microscopic amount the displacement of all the ships in the world are compared to the volume of water in  the oceans!
But (and there is always a "but")...all that extra weight floating about changes nothing. Oil tankers full of oil, all that has happened there is that the oil weight is being shifted from one place to another. 15,000 passengers from New York only moves the weight from New York to Nassau. The weight of the earth and all that comprises it remains the same. And so do sea levels. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 07:24:44 pm »

I was assuming that we were referring to new additional shipping tonnage, rather than moving ships around the globe.  I guess you could extend the argument and say that as the passengers get on the ship in New York the sea levels rise and when they get off the ship in Nassau the levels go back down again!

There again of course for every new ship that is built of this size if there were two older vessels taken out of service then the levels would remain the same.....approximately!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.