Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Computer.  (Read 3081 times)

Bradley

Help with Computer.
« on: December 16, 2009, 08:21:20 pm »

HI Guys,

Have we a computer expert out there who can help me, please? 
I have just bought a new Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR digital camera and I can't get it to download photos onto the computer.  All the software is installed correctly and is shown on the installed programmes but the camera is not shown in the 'Scanners and Cameras' in the Control Panel.  I have tried everything I can think of to solve the problem without any success.  I am running Vista and have even done a restore in case it was something recent that was causing the problem but still nothing. :((  I cannot see that it is any problem with the camera and its software and am sure it must be a problem with the computer and/or settings.  Probably something simple but I can't crack it.
Any help much appreciated.

Derek.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Help with Computer.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:35:31 pm »

Derek,
Did you install all the software with the camera not just the camera drivers?
Can you hear the PC recognise that it is plugged into the USB port and is the camera switched on?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:37:41 pm »

Are you downloading direct from the camera Derek or can you plug your smart card into your computer ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

bugs

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 08:40:43 pm »

You can just use Windows to import photos (although I'm struggling to remember the application name which I appreciate is not very helpful).

I stopped installing software that comes with cameras and reverted to using Windows to import and clear the card in the camera, Exif Pro to catalogue, and GIMP to edit pics.

When I remember how to set up Windows I will update the thread....

craftysod

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 08:46:06 pm »

Another way to see if your camera is connected to pc,
click start
click computer,it will show your hard drive etc
under that it should show removable drives if it does not ,then the pc is not finding the camera
Mark

omra85

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 09:12:38 pm »

Derek
The only unknownl bit in the specs I can see is -
"(Design rule for Camera File system compliant / DPOF-compatible)"
It may be worth looking up 'compliance' in the destruction book.
Does the top dial have to be in a certain position ie. "fsb" when its turned on?
Good luck
Danny

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 09:27:42 pm »

No drivers are required for Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR when using it with Windows Vista or XP.
DPOF is irrelevant here - it stands for Digital Print Order Form.
I suggest you pop over to the myfinepix site where there are forums you can request for this problem:

http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/forum

Bradley

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 09:36:33 pm »

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for all of your replies and suggestions.
As a result I have looked in 'Computer' and, when the camera is plugged into the USB the camera shows.  I have right clicked on this image and it gives an option to set a shortcut which I have placed on my desktop.  Now, when the camera is connected I can download using this shortcut but I thought that the camera was supposed to connect automatically.  However I will have a look at maninthestreet's finepix forum and see if I can gain anything more from there.
Once again, chaps, many thanks, it has been very helpful.

Derek.

Bradley

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 10:14:07 pm »

No drivers are required for Fujifilm Finepix S200EXR when using it with Windows Vista or XP.

Just one other little query, maninthestreet, does this mean that I should uninstal the Finepix software and then just connect the camera to the PC.  I have a suspicion that when I have done this it goes through the installation procedure and asks me to use the disc.

Bob,
I installed all of the software and, as previously mentioned, nothing happens when the camera (switched on) is plugged in and nothing starts automatically, as it should.

DickyD,
I can download from the SD card by plugging it into the appropriate port but it immediately opens the download window for my previous camera - a Panasonic - and uses that software.

Derek.

craftysod

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 11:00:24 pm »

Blimey i said something usefull
Derek
I had loads of problems ,once you had downloaded previous software for camera.
I plug my sd card into reader or as i said before manually look for device.
If you can remove the old camera software

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 11:12:09 am »

I installed all of the software and, as previously mentioned, nothing happens when the camera (switched on) is plugged in and nothing starts automatically, as it should.
On my computers both Mac and PC you plug in USB from the camera and then switch the camera on, this brings the program to life. When you are finished you disconnect the camera first from the desktop (bottom right, disconnect hardware) and then switch off the camera and remove the plug from the USB

Bradley

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 11:23:46 am »

Thanks, W3bby.  With my previous cameras the programme opened automaticaly as soon as the camera was connected.  With this Fuji it opens the FinePix programme but I could find no means of starting the download from the camera.  However, after a suggestion on the FinePix forum I have downloaded a programme called Picasa3 which downloads from any camera and also appears to be a good programme for organising all your photographs with the option to return to your original system/s if you so wish. :-))  We shall see.  ;)

Derek.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 02:34:28 pm »

If the camera appears as a hard drive or mass storage device in My Computer, that should be all that is needed to get at the pictures.  They can be browsed by setting the folder View to "Thumbnail", you can use Picassa, and Gimp for handling them, or an alternative is "Irfan Viewer" and its associated thumbnail browser.  Free, and with its extension plug-ins its capable of doing most of the odd jobs that photos benefit from.  It does have a much gentler learning curve than Gimp.
Like a previous poster, I have yet to find camera software useful, unless the USB thingy insists on driver files to be able to read it.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 03:21:24 pm »

have you tried W3bby's suggestion?

Camera off
Plug in USB
Switch on camera

BTW I hate Picassa. It adds data to the file which can take file sizes up by enough that they won't always load on Mayhem, even at 640x480
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bradley

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 03:30:15 pm »

Thanks, Malcolm.  Been playing with Picasa all day and am perfectly happy with it and what it can do  :-) :-)).

Thanks, Tiger.  I had already gone through what W3bby suggested, as it was part of the installation instructions and it did not work  :((.  However, as a result of all the help, I have found that I can download from the camera using FinePix but it does not open automatically.  I suppose that I could download with FinePix and they would then be okay to send to Mayhem and I could also add them to Picasa.  :-))

Derek.

Bradley

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 01:39:41 pm »

Now not too happy with Picasa and have uninstalled it. :((  It seemed to take over all of my photographs and I did not want that. >:-o  The great thing is that, for no apparent reason, my FinePix programme now starts automatically when the camera is connected and downloads the photos  :-) (of a snowbound bungalow and car {:-{) so, as they say, all's well, etc.
Many thanks for everyone's help. :-))

Derek.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 22 queries.