Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Severn or Arun lifeboat project: Can't find model  (Read 2909 times)

mjed

Severn or Arun lifeboat project: Can't find model
« on: December 16, 2009, 09:53:42 pm »

Following the Warwick Show and the amazing lifeboat displays with smoke, engine sounds and the like, I too want to build a detailed model. 34" is too small and 52" too big but I'd like to have a hull big enough to get extras in, some fairly large motors and maybe dry cell batteries so that it sits in the water and moves fast.
The Models by Design 39"R.N.L.I. ARUN 54 CLASS Lifeboat 16 scale model looks perfect and I'm happy to build the superstructure But they can't supply plans to do this. Speedline's kits look great but are really expensive. Can someone guide my to a good set of plans, a hull and plans or a kit that has real presence on the water and is around 40" long? Any feedback or links on this subject would be appreciated.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Severn or Arun lifeboat project: Can't find model
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 08:59:45 am »

Hi there, have you tried to contact RNLI direct for plans? They may be able to supply them, they're usually pretty helpful. Mrs J.Durman was the head of engineering when I last ordered some. Or you could try putting a 'wanted' listing on the forum. Sure someone out there can help, Dave. :-)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 11:44:26 am »

I have a spare set of 1/20 plans for the Severn lifeboat from the R.N.L.I.   ( at least, the first two sheets are, but the next sheet is scaled at 1/25 ??)  ( to deter model makers perhaps !!)

This equates to 34 inches long. If scaled to 1/16 this would increase to 42 inches long.

I have copied and enlarged them all to 1/12 for my next build, which is larger still, so these are now surplus.

Pm me if your interested.

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 12:04:10 pm »

Have you checked out Kingston Mouldings, they do a couple of lifeboats, a Brede and a Waveney

http://www.kingstonmouldings.com/home.htm
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

johno 52-11

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model lifeboats built to perform
    • lifeboat Models
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 12:40:03 pm »

Have you looked at the Mersey in 1/12 which would be about 38" long. Models by design do a Hull and cabin.

There is also the Tamar and Trent kits form Model Slipway that would fall within your size limits.

Glad to hear you enjoyed our display at the Warwick show and it has encouraged you to want to build one.
One thing that you may want to take into account when deciding what to build is that the traditional scale for model lifeboats is 1/12.

John

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 03:52:04 pm »

The Brede is a good size, i used Models by design hull and Kingston mouldings cabin.....

Russ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 22 queries.