Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maccmodels email  (Read 3016 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Maccmodels email
« on: December 17, 2009, 08:01:05 pm »

Tonight 17/12, I got an email from "support@maccmodels.co.uk" which, thinking it was from the well-known Macc Model Engineers, I opened. It contained nothing but a link which took me to a US Pharmacy offering the usual wares peddled on the internet.

I have emailed Maccmodels to ask if they are aware of this but do not expect a reply before tomorrow. Meantime, I do not believe that I have been singled out and wonder if anybody else has had similar?

Barry M

stallspeed

Re: Maccmodels email
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:29:15 pm »

The email could be from anywhere.If you inspect an email header and insert the four digit numbers into Google,"Samspade.org" or "whois" you can trace the true origin.
If you already have a valid email you can compare headers of both.You will probably find the email is from another continent

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 10:56:53 am »

Received reply from Macc Models this a.m.. They are moving their website to new host. I don't pretend to understand it but I assume that somebody has hacked into it in order to send spurious messages. Does this sound feasible?

Barry M 

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 11:45:40 am »

That may be why they are moving host  ok2
Or may not be.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

stallspeed

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 01:02:22 pm »

Received reply from Macc Models this a.m.. They are moving their website to new host. I don't pretend to understand it but I assume that somebody has hacked into it in order to send spurious messages. Does this sound feasible?

Barry M  
Again,you can use the email header to trace the email origin and make a conclusion.
With each email,there must be a button to view "properties" or "full header".
Copying/pasting and sending the header to a tech boffin whizzkid friend will give you the answer.

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 01:20:14 pm »

In some emails there is a specific "originating IP" address amongst all the other data in the 'Details' section. Others do not have this actual term which, I assume, means it is encoded in another format among all the other gobbledegook?  Anybody prepared to hazard where if they are AOL users?

Not having a "tech boffin whizzkid friend" (mine tend to be similar former-mariners broken down by years, experience and wummin) to provide an answer, I will leave it to Maccmodels to sort it as they appear to have matters in hand and I have sent them the 'details' section from the email.

Will Tigger the Tigger explain what he is hinting at?

I have also received a kind letter from a Reverend Gentleman in Nigeria who advises me that I am due a windfall from the Nigerian Government. All I have to do is send him $300 and he will send me an ATM card to withdraw $10,000,000. I am unsure how long it will take me to withdraw $10,000,000 from the local hole-in-the-wall but I suspect that it will be some time.  :((

Cheers,

Barry M

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 01:24:03 pm »

I got through to Macc Models old website via Google two days ago and got so much junk come up on the screen I had to shut down computer to stop it.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

stallspeed

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 01:32:23 pm »

In some emails there is a specific "originating IP" address amongst all the other data in the 'Details' section. Others do not have this actual term which, I assume, means it is encoded in another format among all the other gobbledegook?  
"X-apparently from" entries in the header were added by AOL mail servers several years ago to provide the true origin to the receiver of the email.All the gobbledegook actualy means something.The "From" or "Reply to" means nothing.
So far there is nothing whatsoever to indicate the original email came from anyone at maccmodels.co.uk

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 02:15:31 pm »

Nobody - at least not me - is saying it did come from Macc Models.

These are the full details; perhaps some "tech boffin whizkidd" will interpret them and identify the source?

(Details removed as there is some confidential data in there. PM me if you can help. Martin - Admin. )

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 02:20:01 pm »

I just got one of those, I returned it
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

stallspeed

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 02:43:35 pm »

Barry,the probability was minimal but it looks like you were right in some respect.Correct (former) host in 89.xx.xx.91 is confirmed by AOL
It looks like somebody had access to a webmail password.

Time for a moderator to edit some info on your post,though?

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 02:50:10 pm »

I just got one of those, I returned it

Unwise - you have just confirmed to the originator that you exist.  :((

Barry M

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 03:01:46 pm »

Note that the 'from' field in an email is simply what the sender puts into it, and it is not checked in any way. So I could send you an email 'from The Moon'.

This feature is often used by malicious code to make messages more believable. If a site has been hacked to obtain a list of e-mail addresses, it makes sense to send messages apparently from the hacked machine, since the e-mail adresses were presumably validly involved with it.

One of the fun tricks used by email-spreading viruses is to read your address book list, and then present an email as having come from someone on that list. Of course you open an email from your dear old granny, and then you spend the next month wondering why she sent you an advertisment for nude pictures of Jennifer Lopez...  

And yes - for god's sake don't respond to any of these things in any way...

maccmodels

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 09:50:27 am »

HI

Joe here from maccmodels.co.uk

we were hacked on that week im afraid, we had a very poor website compnay looking after our site, but we have since chnaged host and security ramped right up.  We now have a secure site so this wont happen again and I can only appologise, I did try to let most people who were effected, of the problem but I may of missed some people out.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to get in touch.

regards Joe
managing director

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.