Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: It's SNOWING  (Read 51644 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: It's SNOWING
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2009, 10:21:35 pm »

Snowed north of Blackpool today. And its snowing again now!

Very nice couple of ally's there! The missus wants 'em both.  %%

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2009, 11:48:48 pm »

Well it's thawing here betwen Norwich and Yarmouth right now, it even rained a little earlier on. The weather for tomorrow doesn't indicate sub zero temps so I reckon you will be ok... ish. :-))

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2009, 12:37:08 pm »

20cms (8 inches in old money) forecast here for tonight and more tommorow... shame we a flying to UK tommorow (hopefully)
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

The long Build

« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2009, 01:03:54 pm »

20cms (8 inches in old money) forecast here for tonight and more tommorow... shame we a flying to UK tommorow (hopefully)

See the problem is ,Your Airports can cope with snow, if we have any more than 1mm here its a problem.. Good Luck :}

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2009, 01:14:50 pm »

It's that stuff that brings all south of the Humber to a halt, sends BBC London into reporting overdrive, brings the PM to declare a "National" emergency and causes mass skiving while the locals gaze at the sky in bemusement.

Everywhere else, folks note that it's winter time and get on with life.

Bah humbug!

Barry M  <*<
Yep, just been watching the gridlock in Aberdeen caused by the snow. Moved it south of the Humber have they ? %)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2009, 01:45:54 pm »

Don't believe everything you see on the news. The point is that we just accept snow as a natural event to be expected in winter, we prepare for it and then get on with our lives. What we don't do is treat it as some completely unprecedented disaster and then run around like headless chickens when the odd flake drops on the garden.

Aberdeen also has a large expatriate community - many from the Deep, Deep, Sooth - and thus suffers the problem these excitable souls create by dashing out unprepared and clogging up the roads. The locals have more sense.  ;D

Barry M

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2009, 03:03:31 pm »

stoke on trent has had about 1 inch, and thats only on places. Gritters came out AFTER the snow
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Wasyl

« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2009, 03:23:52 pm »

If we get ore than an inch or two the country grinds to a halt,Schools close,Trains disrupted,

planes grounded,goods production drops due to road chaos,
yet the Swiss get it by the metre,but the supply of Toblerone never fails, {-)

Wullie

alan colson

• Full Mayhemer
  • I Just Dabble In Model Boats
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2009, 03:27:29 pm »

Main roads seem to be clear here in Sussex, a little slippery on some of the side roads. If your travelling have a safe journey.
Alan

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2009, 03:48:58 pm »

If we get ore than an inch or two the country grinds to a halt,Schools close,Trains disrupted,

planes grounded,goods production drops due to road chaos,
yet the Swiss get it by the metre,but the supply of Toblerone never fails, {-)

Wullie

Finnish rules on snow days.... If its above the wing morrors you can take a day off lol
-40C is not an excuse for a day off school either
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2009, 03:51:37 pm »

Well I made it to Marham & back in one bit.The last 10 miles was very icy but still passable with care. The job however needs parts so will be going back in the new year.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2009, 04:02:59 pm »

i think a WINTER driving COURSE should be compulsory for all new drivers, and should be offered to exisring licence holders.  does a new 17 year old know what to do if his car starts to slide? 

some older folk still to this day think that all cars are REAR WHEEL drive, so put bags of sand in the back of Rover100's then wander why they have no traction.
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2009, 04:34:56 pm »

We got our snow yesterday, with this mornings top-up thats all of 1 1/2 inches. 
While caution is a good thing, while waiting to pull out of my street I got behind a driver in a Ka with gleaming white knuckles and eyes like saucers.  Doing about 5 mph on a level road.  Where the traffic had worn/melted two tyre tracks. 
There does seem to be a lack of awareness about how to drive on slippery - you know, things like revving harder in 1st because the drive wheels aren't gripping....
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: December 22, 2009, 04:42:51 pm »

i think a WINTER driving COURSE should be compulsory for all new drivers, and should be offered to exisring licence holders.  does a new 17 year old know what to do if his car starts to slide? 

Skidpan training is an integral part of the test over here so theoretically everyone knows what to do (apart from me %)). Despite this, at the first snow there is still a little chaos and a number of cars fail to go where they are supposed to.

Compulsory winter tyres as well although we are now seeing a reaction against studded tyres due to there environmental impact. A few towns have issued bans on their use within the town centres.

bikerbabe

« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2009, 05:00:47 pm »

hi i live in cirencester and we have only had a little dusting of snow  :(( tho the roads seem clear so i guess thats good .

Greggy1964

« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2009, 06:50:28 pm »

Freezing fog here now too

Frozen hawthorn berries

Freezing fog at 8:00 am this morning

Moody winter wonderland :-))

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2009, 07:44:33 pm »

Skidpan training is an integral part of the test over here so theoretically everyone knows what to do (apart from me %)). Despite this, at the first snow there is still a little chaos and a number of cars fail to go where they are supposed to.

Compulsory winter tyres as well although we are now seeing a reaction against studded tyres due to there environmental impact. A few towns have issued bans on their use within the town centres.

Iv'e only been driving for 16months, however iv'e had numerous skids start over the past few days, not through me being a novice or driving at excessive speed, but because the roads are not gritted in the part of east yorkshire I live in. However in my 'inexperience' i managed to gain control of the car each time and reacted before anything bad happened. Oh, and this was in a courtesy car that i've had for two days. Funny, i was more worried about the VW Passat behind that thought stopping distances were the same in snow as a dry summer day, brand new grey Passat estate- don't think that was a new driver do you?

It's not an age thing, to say so is ignorant, it is a matter of attitude and ignoring the things that can be quite clearly seen with your own two eyes. I live 15miles from work and on the edge of the wolds, and I'm more worried about the other drivers on the road than the 6 inches of snow I'm driving on.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2009, 08:37:42 pm »

Well done Greg.
I have to drive on the roads as a service engineer. I have seen LOADS of bad driving this week from all age groups and not all in cars.
Just slow down. leave more space all around you. It is better to get there a bit late then not at all. Hells bells  don't kill yourself  !
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2009, 09:17:14 pm »

Iv'e only been driving for 16months, however iv'e had numerous skids start over the past few days, not through me being a novice or driving at excessive speed, but because the roads are not gritted in the part of east yorkshire I live in. However in my 'inexperience' i managed to gain control of the car each time and reacted before anything bad happened. Oh, and this was in a courtesy car that i've had for two days. Funny, i was more worried about the VW Passat behind that thought stopping distances were the same in snow as a dry summer day, brand new grey Passat estate- don't think that was a new driver do you?

It's not an age thing, to say so is ignorant, it is a matter of attitude and ignoring the things that can be quite clearly seen with your own two eyes. I live 15miles from work and on the edge of the wolds, and I'm more worried about the other drivers on the road than the 6 inches of snow I'm driving on.

Greg
I just know this is going to upset someone.
It is not an age thing at all, it is an experience thing. I have a son who is slightly older than you Greg and he also knows all there is about driving in the snow, or so he tells me, after all he has driven in it in two fairly mild winters. He like most drivers short on experience hasn't got a clue about how to drive on snow.

craftysod

« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2009, 09:33:18 pm »

I have been driving hgv's for 25 years now,and yesterday my 32t lorry just slid sideways,on a ungritted side road.
I was only doing 5mph,lucky the kerb stopped me.
Just proves even if you have experience,you can still be caught out

Wasyl

« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2009, 09:14:29 am »

Over 4in of snow fell overnight,up here in Carnoustie,I,m snowed in,my car is stuck halfway down the drive,
where,s a Bob a Job Scout when you need one {:-{ :((

Wullie

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #97 on: December 23, 2009, 10:06:40 am »

Great, it rained here last night, now everything is covered in a sheet of ice.

The M27 is shut both ways between junctions 1 to 4.

The buses have all been stopped since one ended up on its side.

UPS where my son works only have 4 drivers in and they wont let them go out at the moment.

To cap it all my dog cant go in the garden because he cant walk on the footpath because of the ice. >>:-(

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: December 23, 2009, 04:08:08 pm »

Don't believe everything you see on the news. The point is that we just accept snow as a natural event to be expected in winter, we prepare for it and then get on with our lives. What we don't do is treat it as some completely unprecedented disaster and then run around like headless chickens when the odd flake drops on the garden.

Aberdeen also has a large expatriate community - many from the Deep, Deep, Sooth - and thus suffers the problem these excitable souls create by dashing out unprepared and clogging up the roads. The locals have more sense.  ;D

Barry M
I absolutely loved last nights ITV weather report from Aberdeen. (Tuesdays)."Horrendous conditions all over the area and the Highland roads are all blocked", but "The ski resorts are doing very well".......OK, apart from on skis, how did they all get there? Trust TV reporters? BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2009, 04:13:02 pm »

Check the registrations of those "gridlocked" cars in Aberdeen. Every one from south of the Border.  :P

Bryan,
They were transported there by hardy Scots with their garrions.   O0

Cheers,

Barry M
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.