Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: It's SNOWING  (Read 51627 times)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: It's SNOWING
« Reply #100 on: December 23, 2009, 04:13:50 pm »

Don't believe everything you see on the news. The point is that we just accept snow as a natural event to be expected in winter, we prepare for it and then get on with our lives. What we don't do is treat it as some completely unprecedented disaster and then run around like headless chickens when the odd flake drops on the garden.

Aberdeen also has a large expatriate community - many from the Deep, Deep, Sooth - and thus suffers the problem these excitable souls create by dashing out unprepared and clogging up the roads. The locals have more sense.  ;D

Barry M
Was watching the Scottish road reports on the telly this morning. Reckon Scotland must be inhabited by Southerners then Barry. {-)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #101 on: December 23, 2009, 04:15:43 pm »

Check the registrations of those "gridlocked" cars in Aberdeen. Every one from south of the Border.  :P

Barry M
See you Scots are still buying our cast off cars then Barry. O0

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: December 23, 2009, 04:22:46 pm »

Reckon Scotland must be inhabited by Southerners then Barry. {-)
  You dont realise how true these words are >>:-(    !0" of snow last night and the " girls " made it to work this morning as usual, Cairngorm Ski Area staff that is ! ;D
..well can you land on this?

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2009, 04:36:36 pm »

You dont realise how true these words are >>:-(    !0" of snow last night and the " girls " made it to work this morning as usual, Cairngorm Ski Area staff that is ! ;D
Know it well, used to go their every winter in my misspent youth.

No motorways in those days. A68, A9 using those poles at the side of the road to steer by.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: December 23, 2009, 05:04:18 pm »

Check the registrations of those "gridlocked" cars in Aberdeen. Every one from south of the Border.  :P

Bryan,
They were transported there by hardy Scots with their garrions.   O0

Cheers,

Barry M
Not sure what a "garrion" is. In fact I've never heard of "it", "one" or herd. I beg for education. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Roger in France

« Reply #105 on: December 23, 2009, 05:47:56 pm »

The press frequently talk drivel about "national emergencies" and unforgivably exaggerate any story about the weather.

Two examples in "The Times" today. Above the caption of a photograph which reads "2,000 cars abandoned in Basingstoke"  was a picture of snow covered cars clearly parked, neatly in a car park ! (Mind you many of us have been tempted to abandon life in Basingstoke!).

In the story of the coach crash in Hale, Cornwall both the journalist and the sub editor say "....near Cornwall..."!

Here in France also. The other day we had a TV journalist who at least admitted "3cms of snow and the world stops!"

Roger in France

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: December 23, 2009, 09:43:53 pm »

Snow, my sister sent me a news clipping with our Christams card, picture this, downtown Bracebridge, Ontario a week last Saturday, 100cm of snow in 3 odd hours, hmmm never did like metric much but I reckon its close to 3 feet, good for the local ski slopes, they call it white gold,

Typical for that area and I miss it stuck here with a palm tree and black ice all over and numpty still tailgating me all the way to work, well off to walk the wolves.

Merry Christmas all :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: December 23, 2009, 10:18:59 pm »

Yes, the tailgaters get on my nerves too. Seem determined to take every opportunity to smash into the back of you.

You'd think commom sense would suggest that if you apply your brakes on sheet ice nothing much will happen but no. I can cope with driving on snow and ice - its's the other drivers which terrify me.

Colin

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: December 23, 2009, 11:05:59 pm »

Yes, the tailgaters get on my nerves too. Seem determined to take every opportunity to smash into the back of you.

You'd think commom sense would suggest that if you apply your brakes on sheet ice nothing much will happen but no. I can cope with driving on snow and ice - its's the other drivers which terrify me.

Colin
If I'm being tailgated in this weather I just flick my main lights on and off again. The idiot behind thinks they're brake lights and backs off a lot.
Notes from a simple seaman

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #109 on: December 23, 2009, 11:09:05 pm »

Well It has just taken me 2.5 hours to get back from Northfleet this eve. The M25 is closed off at the A1 junction which is where i wanted to get off anyway. Own up if you was the one who crashed and closed it !!!! >>:-( >>:-( >>:-(
Well thats it now I'm of till the new year. Going to spend a few hours in my shed making boats in the morning Blow work.BA hum bug to then now till next year. ;D ;D %% {-)
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Bradley

« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2009, 11:09:33 pm »

Another way to frighten the idiots off is to just touch your brake pedal - just enough to activate the brake lights but not the brakes - they soon get the message.  >>:-( >:-o

Derek.

Wasyl

« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2009, 11:16:42 pm »

When driving my 2.9d i use a lot of engine breaking,it sure frightens the life out of the guy behind who,s driving up my a*** and No break light comes on, {-)

Wullie

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #112 on: December 25, 2009, 08:59:57 am »

The one day I would like to see it snow, Naf all !!! Merry Christmas. :}
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #113 on: December 25, 2009, 09:10:35 am »

Merry Christmas Bill no snow here either. <:(

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: December 25, 2009, 09:33:48 am »

Was watching the Scottish road reports on the telly this morning. Reckon Scotland must be inhabited by Southerners then Barry. {-)

Dicky,

We do allow a few in but not too many in case the word gets around of how superior it is.  ;D

Barry M

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: December 25, 2009, 09:36:01 am »

See you Scots are still buying our cast off cars then Barry. O0

Aye, and then we sell 'em back again to the unsuspecting!

Barry M

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2009, 09:44:13 am »

Not sure what a "garrion" is. In fact I've never heard of "it", "one" or herd. I beg for education. BY.

A short-legged, hairy, Highland, pony built to go up vertical mountainsides while carrying short-legged, hairy, Highlanders. An early forerunner of the Land Rover but more fuel efficient.

Happy Christmas,

Barry M  :-)) 

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2009, 10:04:08 am »

A few are now using the Austrian import, the Haflinger. Better looking and meant for the Alps, unlike its Bavarian cousin the BMW which is lousy in the snow. O0

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2009, 10:59:53 am »

Just returned from a short break in Rome, flew in via Amsterdam - 6 to 8 inches snow and everything operating on schedule, left Amsterdam for Manchester and got turned back 30 mins into flight - Manchester shut - snow!

I have to say KLM were superb, we all got a compensation voucher, a bag of toiletries and a hotel with brekky  for the night. We were lucky and got the first flight out next morning (xmas eve).

I was sweating though, because I had to get to work, which is where I am now. >>:-(

Merry xmas everyone!

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2009, 12:08:24 pm »

Nice and warm where you work though Ian!!!! :-))

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: December 25, 2009, 04:28:03 pm »

A few are now using the Austrian import, the Haflinger. Better looking and meant for the Alps, unlike its Bavarian cousin the BMW which is lousy in the snow. O0
 Went for a Merry Christmas walk in the snow, and a mulled wine, and came across an abandoned (hairdresser`s %)) car. Seems to be stuck for some reason ! {:-{   Merry Christmas , whatever you drive.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2009, 02:11:45 pm »

We have a little more snow now :)

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

rem2007

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2009, 07:09:16 pm »

Hey Iron,

What to you use to measure the snow round yours? {-)

cms {-), cracks me up, {-) who had the bright idea to go metric, especially when measuring snowfall, use to be if it was up to the wheeel wells you took the day off, course wheel wells were a little higher back then, dang imports.

hopeitfloats

« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2009, 07:19:43 pm »

from someone who was brought up with imperial and metric systems, metric wins out every time.  dont knock it until you try it ;)  :}

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2009, 07:29:30 pm »

No Snow in Stevenage. It is waiting till we all have to go back to work next Monday I think
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.