Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New mini Hydro  (Read 6972 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
New mini Hydro
« on: December 07, 2009, 04:28:27 pm »

Heres a few pics of my new mini hydro this ones for electric but ill be designing a cowl for small nitro motors.Im told .18 motors will go well in this size hull.Shes 16" long 8" wide i modified the plug from the hydromite plans,it turns out its the same design as my lads old hydro the minibat from minicat racing.Would have saved me some work if id known that lol  %) anyway heres a cpl of pics.I have the bottom made but i am low on resin and gelcoat so i just made the cowl.The bottom is white gelcoat and the cowl is clear gelcoat with blue holographic flakes mixed in with a blue base colour behind.This one hasnt even been pollished yet but it looks amazing wish it was sunny to really show it off to its best but heres a pic of the parts so far and ill post better pics if we get some brighter weather hmm yea right lol.Parts are nice and light using thin matt for the first layer to stop print through and then a good quallity twill cloth on top so the parts are light and strong.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New mini Hydro
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 09:25:16 am »

Heres another pic i took in better light  but the flash still came one on auto so ill maybe have to wait for some sunshine to get the best pictures .Anyway i hope it shows up the flake better than before,the pics dont do it justice to be honest.These parts are built heavier than the cheap china one we had before but im thinking thats not a bad thing,i might find a happy medium in between to see what they come out like.Id rather them be strong than too light and flimsy,any input welcome on this.
Mart

mook

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 09:55:38 am »

looking good Mart as usual  O0

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 10:00:41 am »

Thanks Malc it makes a change from the big boats thats for sure.
Mart

Mal X

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 02:45:58 pm »

i've been looking at the American RC Drag boat scene recently, Drag boats are getting quite popular, this hydro can be adapted; or used as a Drag Boat.

http://hyperprod.bizhosting.com/sxd45_drag_hydro.html

http://rcdragboats.com/

as you can see, there's not a huge difference, it's mainly in the canopy/cowl, a Drag boat would ideally be much bigger; even so it's still food for thought

Mal X

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 03:19:45 pm »

http://gallery.intlwaters.com/albums/userpics/10018/CAPSULE007.jpg

looking at this and quite a few other Monos, Magin 1 could be converted into a drag boat too, because it only needs a flat stern; plus it already has a bubble shaped canopy.

all i need is a couple of sheets of 2mm Styrene and it's a relatively simple mod.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 04:30:06 pm »

Hydros only run on the prop not on the stern of the boat,the only part of a hydro that touches the water is the sponsons and even then only at the sponson transom when at full speed.Im not interested in drag boats i like my boats to turn fast ,this is what a hydro is all about.Im sory but drag boats are just boring to me  %).Heres a pic of my petrol powered Comet hydro notice the strut is 1" bellow the stern of the hull much the same as the mini hydros will be but on a smaller scale so maybe 1/4" or so  ;).
Mart
Heres how a hydro should turn.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=919dKyiA1lA

Mal X

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 05:11:57 pm »

that looks a great boat in that video  :-)), drag hydros are similar; the only part that contacts the water is the rear of the sponson.

but a drag mono looks like it has a flat bottom running from the stern to close to the bow, but i wont be able to achieve this easily in Magin 1, you see; at the moment she's no good for high speed racing, her hull isn't strong enough and i dont want to scrap her, because right now that's all she is, so i may as well convert her to a drag racing hull.

i need to get hold of a large sheet of 2mm Styrene from Westbourne models. 

but that's enough of drag boats on your thread, sorry.  ;)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 07:51:11 pm »

Thats the rockett from zippkits in the video its a wooden kit  ok2,i now build my own glass t boats called the comet do a search you will find it.I will have some more pics of the mini hydro to show in a day or two so watch this space.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 04:59:02 pm »

Well ive finally finished the first hydro from the moulds and this ones for Peter,having spoken to him i decided to go with orange.As with the blue it has some flakes in the orange ,these are pearl so very subtle but will look great in the sunshine.The cowl is very light and somewhat flexable to enable it to be taped down securely and stay water tight.Its still quite strong in fact stronger than the china one my lad had and the hull is very much stronger yet still very light in fact the hull weighs exactly 8 oz .Ill be posting it off hopefully tomorrow as soon as i can find a suitable box for it.
Mart

mook

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 02:03:18 pm »

I like it, again you have produced a lovely model  O0

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 04:01:43 pm »

Glad you like it Mate,shall i put you down for a red one  {-),only joking  :}.Have a good christmas Malc.
Mart

gwa84

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 12:36:04 am »

haw much would it be to suply thease in a kit with runing gear no moter  :}

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 09:15:38 am »

At this moment i dont have running gear for them but that may change in the new year.If you want to talk prices id rather do it via pm if you dont mind mate.
Mart
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.