Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunk without a trace....  (Read 14593 times)

Stavros

Sunk without a trace....
« on: December 05, 2006, 11:59:05 pm »

Now that has got your attention hasn't it well I am not lying it is free the one and only Graupner Fire boat as seen in the your builds section,yes I kid you not it is FREE no BS but buyer collects from LLanberis ANY TAKERS????

oh i forgot to mention you need  a set of DIVING GEAR it is located approx 200 mtrs from the slipway,looking down the lake towards Caernarfon and approx 300mtrs from the shore towards Bangor,oh and bye the way it is located in 160ft of water,no loss of life,only to MY BACK POCKET :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Roger in France

Re: FREE FREE FREE AND FREE
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 06:17:32 am »

Hard luck Stavros. But before you start a build to replace her....how about that article you were going to write?

Roger in France.

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 06:23:07 pm »

ON GOING   ;)

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 06:50:50 pm »

Stavros, I fully symapthise, having had my Caldercraft Thames River Tug disappear on me for no apparent reason, in Yeovil club's lake, which is a reservoir! A diver went down, but it was too murky for him to see, and several sweeps were made with improvised boat-catching-devices, to no avail. She eventually turned up two years later, when drought conditions reduced the water level by several feet! Unfortunately very little was salvageable, but a friend gave me one he had been gifted, in a dishevelled state, but now restored to former beauty(A tug, beautiful?)

Danny

Navigator

• Full Mayhemer
  • Everybody Down!
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 08:01:21 pm »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)
Lefthand down a bit..........

Cheers
Dave

Stavros

Re: Sunk without a trace....
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 11:31:23 pm »

Bloomin Heck the fairies have been at it again ;)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 08:44:29 am »

Who you calling a fairy?!?!?  ;D

Just making it a bit easier for searches.....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 10:36:09 am »

What caused the sinking then Savros!

chromedome

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 10:50:59 am »

I don't think Stavros actually saw it sink - he was going round the lake to the far bank to retrieve it when it went down >:(  I was the last one to see it go (through binoculars - yes our lake is that big and it was that far away).  The motor had stopped and despite the efforts of Stavros with his tug and another club member with his "Puffer" to push it back to the bank, the wind was just too strong, it was gusting 30+ mph at times that morning.

It steadily drifted across the lake away from our sheltered bank with the waves getting bigger and bigger until it almost reached the far shore. The wind at that stage was very strong and the fetch plus rebounding waves off the far bank created a extremely turbulent area of high waves - just too much for the model which was swamped and sank.

Don B   

Scottie

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 11:04:01 am »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;)
Get it out with Optrex!

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 11:07:08 am »

Commiserations on the loss of the model mate, it's not nice to hear of one being lost..........

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Stavros

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 06:12:59 pm »

Thank you Welsh Druid you beat me to it,never mind a better and bigger one is on it's way,flotation bags,marker buoy all seem to spring to mind!!!!!!

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 06:50:26 pm »

I dont mean to be morbid or anything but I must sayhow much I enjoyed reading Don.s account the loss of the Graupner Fire Boat. :-[

chromedome

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2006, 08:55:50 pm »

I was very saddened by your boat  loss, Stavros. I can imagine how you must feel. My condolences to you.

I am new to boating, and am building one at present. The amount of hours and the amount of thought and love that goes into putting one of these together, not counting the money involved is horrendous. It must be like loosing a pet.

I cannot get out of my mind, ways of retrieving the boat, once this happens. Surely there is some way. Something could be designed to tackle the problem. I'm not being funny in any way, but they did find the Titanic.

Could not a radio control system submersable be designed ( or direct umbilical cord system) with a camera on board and suitable grapples. Has anyone designed one in miniature yet ?

The other side of the coin is to prevent it sinking in the first place. I thought , perhaps a gas charged balloon activated by sea water. I am aware flotation tanks could be fitted, but this would spoil the lines and design of course.

Please forgive my thoughts and once again, so sorry

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2006, 09:42:11 pm »

Hi ya there Stavros -

I have tried my many contacts to get in touch with Dr Robert D Ballard - however, I was unable to locate him.   Rumour has it he is busy diving somewhere off  LLanberis not to retrieve the vessel but to lay a plaque on the said vessel half built, half sailed and half sunk - never to be retrieved - but yet to be proven wrong on the last quotation. 

Chin up my old mate Stavros  ;D at least you didnt have to sit or even stand and watch it be destroyed by a swan flying in - and landing on top of your pride and joy and literally destroying your model and then spending an hour and a half retrieving all the broken bits and then again......you didnt attempt to put a finished model in the loft of a house only for it to slip out of your hands and destroy itself on the concrete floor  :'( :'( :'(

At least yours went down with grace and pride and in the knowledge WE HAVE THE POWER TO REBUILD BIGGER AND BETTER  ;D at the expense of the pocket.

Chin up my old mate - we shall fight them on the beaches.

Aye
Bluebird
John E
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006, 05:42:21 pm »

Try the local diving club they might be up for the challenge.  Also have read of some models recovered in the past by divers especially subs.

Seaspray

Stavros

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2006, 11:56:10 pm »

Local diving club,dont think they want to play in 160 feet of cold welsh Lake water!!!!! Good idea though :)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 03:54:07 am »

Local diving club,dont think they want to play in 160 feet of cold welsh Lake water!!!!! Good idea though :)
Bad luck Stavros.

I have thuought about a pinpong ball on fishing line as a marker bouy. This could be stashed below a hatch that floats away. but 50m plus would be needed, of a storng line for 160ft.
My current build will weigh about 12lbs when finished, and with drag, that is a big piece of string.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 05:25:31 am »

I haven't to date but I think all my models will have that expandind foam in them.  I couldn't put up with loosing a model.  :'(

Seaspray

Roger in France

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 06:40:49 am »

A floating recovery device has been discussed elsewhere. It is not easy to conceal enough line for rescue from deep water, without it becoming tangled on release. I have heard of a floatable object secured to the deck with dissolved sugar which dries but then dissolves after a few minutes immersion; dried soap etc.

Remember the string does not have to be strong enough to lift the total weight of the stricken vessel as natural buoyancy will help and you can take the weight as she nears the surface with your arm or some kind of grab.

Roger in France.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2006, 09:51:57 am »

I gotta ask, any ideas how did she sink?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Commander

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2006, 09:29:26 pm »

Sorry to read about your loss it has properly happened to most of us in one way or anthere but look on it one way you could be saving life on our cost line by giving some some sea creatures a home thats not a bad thing it has been done with real full size ships around the world this time on a smaller scale.

Derrick

Stavros

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2006, 11:12:59 pm »

How she sank!!!! it went under the water and played at being a submarine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The whole episode was quite simple really,I sail on a lake that is 3+miles long 3/4wide and 160+feet deep,not your usual little pond but a proper mans lake.As it was such a rough day I was keeping close to the shore as it turned out too flippin close as I side swiped the landing stage sods law dictated and the boat went dead no responce from anything so a tug and puffer was duly dispatched but due to he wind we could not hold stating to stop her from drifting away so off she went on her merry way across the lake,she was going nicely but him up in the sky decided to intervine by blowing a right hooley throwing white water all over the lake and capsizing my little beauty(brings tears to my eyes typing this)and sending her to a premature death.
The only thing I personally can put this down to is Bloomin tamya style plugs that are on power packs had become dislodged somehow in the collision with the pontoon,consequently I have thrown a heap of them in the bin they are now banned from any of my boats or any other model I would rather use choccie block connectors.So lads The moral of this tale is use them blasted plugs at your peril,I HATE THE  OPKUSFGBPQUSPSOUG[OFGVB M[QI Q THINGS

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2006, 07:47:20 am »

Sorry about the loss but was it not avoidable?
All my boats and my friends, carry flotation, enough so the boat will not sink. OK these are not scale boats (FSR-O and FSR-V) but virtually every free area of the hull is filled with pool noodles, foam pipe insulation, polystyrene peanuts, waterwings, empty pop bottles, anything to keep it on the surface in case the worst happens. Even my hatch has it's own flotation in case it comes off.
This works with high speed crashes, blow offs, punctured hulls and boats that die on the course, why shouldn't it work for scale boats that turn turtle or are swamped?
Secondly, I (and many others) tape or zip tie all electrical connections (battery and servo leads) as these have been known to seperate whilst the model is running.
This may seem like a belt and braces approach but there is too much time and money involved.
A word of warning, spray can foam has a reputation for blowing hulls apart :o

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2006, 09:00:28 am »

Stavros,
Thanks for your answer, must have been terrible to see her go.
My sympathy for losing all that work and cost.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.