Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunk without a trace....  (Read 14588 times)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
Re: Sunk without a trace....
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2006, 03:48:19 pm »

Tamiya plugs have a locking tab doubt if they came adrift. At times it take a good pull to get them apart . However if they are constructed at home you have to get the connection in them tight first time as I have been caught out.

Seaspray

Stavros

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2006, 08:01:36 pm »

w3bby no room see the build in your build section and see why

The_Ships_Cat

• Shipmate
  • Yorkie Builder
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2006, 10:11:26 pm »

Hi Stavros,

Sorry to hear of loss.
Maybe the local police diving team would like to take it on as a training exercise, could be worth a phone call.

Nomad

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2006, 04:53:02 am »

It would be a good idea to ask a local diving club if they could help recover it, maybe offer some £s to a charity of their choosing?
Or as stated earlier ask your local police, RN etc, nothing ventured!!

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2006, 07:25:32 am »

@ 160 ft. the undercurrents will have made a mess of her.

Seaspray

Daryl

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2006, 09:27:56 am »

If there were any air left there would have been a risk of implosion. 160ft, isn't that Tri-mix territory with decompression stops longer than the time at the bottom?

Daryl

ambernblu

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2006, 11:17:09 am »

OK, OK you guys, I think we get the picture now! Stavros' pride and joy has imploded under the pressure of the great depth and various bits of it have been cast asunder to ride the prevailing currents into the far off dark recesses of that black lakes' depths, forever to be a jigsaw puzzle for some future tv presenter to muse over sometime in the next two or three millenia..... when the lake has finally given up its secrets!

So I guess he will feel a lot better about it now then!  ;D

Apologies and commiserations to you Stavros!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2006, 11:43:24 am »

Nice one Brian. Ghouls springs to mind.

About time this thread was closed. :(

Richard :)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

RantandRave

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...don't get me started!
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2006, 01:37:14 pm »

TigerTiger's suggestion of a marker buoy reminds me of the idea incorporated into Darnell kits ( anyone remember Darnell Submarines? ) It was a flush hatch with a cork glued underneath and a piece of soap or Aspirin glued to the bottom and the soap / aspirin glued to the well that the cork sat in. If the model sunk 'with all hands' then eventually the soap / aspirin would dissolve and release the orange painted cork which had fishing line attached to it.... at least you would know where to look - but 160'  :o

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2006, 01:38:28 pm »

Anyone know of other lost model ideas?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ambernblu

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2006, 02:31:55 pm »

Drain the lake? Expensive!  ;)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2006, 03:34:45 pm »

TigerTiger's suggestion of a marker buoy reminds me of the idea incorporated into Darnell kits ( anyone remember Darnell Submarines? ) It was a flush hatch with a cork glued underneath and a piece of soap or Aspirin glued to the bottom and the soap / aspirin glued to the well that the cork sat in. If the model sunk 'with all hands' then eventually the soap / aspirin would dissolve and release the orange painted cork which had fishing line attached to it.... at least you would know where to look - but 160'  :o

3 mile x 3/4 mile lake and an orange cork. ::)

What are you like with needles and haystacks propshaft  ;)

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2006, 03:39:37 pm »

Drain the lake? Expensive!  ;)

Funny you should say that  ;) There are two lakes at Llanberis, Lyn Padarn (where we sail) and Lyn Peris which feeds Padarn.  (We often sail up Lyn Padarn and then along the feeder stream until we reach the sluice gates between the two lakes.)   Lyn Peris is used for the pumped electric storage scheme. This involves pumping water from Lyn Peris to a higher reservoir using surplus electricity and then reversing the flow to generate electricity at peak demand periods. This the only known way of storing electricity for the National Grid. If you are interested see   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinorwig_power_station

Anyway back to boats. Lyn Peris was drained in 1979 when constructing the scheme and guess what they found - old boats !  Not models though - boats from around 1550 !  So who knows maybe 400 years from now they may find all the models ( and there are more than this one) that are lying at the bottom of Lyn Padarn. :D

Don B

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2006, 04:02:26 pm »

Fill all free space in hull and removable sections of superstructure with expanding foam and attach one to other with fishing line on roller in hull. If you cant get much foam in the hull any amount will give slight buoyancy, thereby making it easier to lift and also cutting down on the weight of water to be lifted. Just remember to leave openings large enough for the foam to expand to its full volume [this could take a couple of days] other wise it will split whatever its in.
The only other problem is the depth of water. This would work on normal lakes of reasonable depth but I'm not sure how much room 170 feet of fishing line takes up.
Never was one for teaching worms to swim. ;)

Richard

flag-d

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2006, 05:13:13 pm »

Regarding marker buoys and release mechanisms, I'm sure I remember reading, ages ago, somewhere about Alka-Selzer tablets, you know the ones that fizz up in water, being used to hold something down, eg a hatch.  Water leaks in, tablet fizzes and dissolves, releasing the hatch and up goes the float.  160' of fishing line?  Actually not a huge amount of space required, if it was on a reel mechanism of some kind.  I know I've seen something on the web, in the last year, regarding a model finder.  It was for planes as I remember, more of a home built affair, but I do remember it being sealed and shock proof.  It sent out a radio 'blip' which could be picked up on the other half of the unit.  It was quite neat and all home designed/built, by a flyer, I think in the US.  Of course, it might not work in 25+ fathoms!

Mike

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2006, 06:25:13 pm »

just to add to the ideas of getting your beloved model back Stavros, could you not use a echo sounder as used on fishing bait boats???

a friend has a bait boat that uses the echo sounder to locate fish upto i think around the 200metre depth but i cant be sure, worth a try just to see if anything shows up.

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

Daryl

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2006, 09:24:57 pm »

just a pessimistic thought but it would not have sunk streight down directly underneath where it floundered. Currents could have carried some distance away.

Daryl

or you could ask the lady of the lake!

rats

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2006, 09:37:31 pm »

Just a point I dont think 160ft is a problem for advanced divers - most diving clubs have them, also they would probably jump at the chance to go look for it ; saves diving on the same old wrecks !

cheers rats

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2006, 10:55:26 pm »

Local diving club,dont think they want to play in 160 feet of cold welsh Lake water!!!!! Good idea though :)

Hmm!!  Maybe some of the Nitrox guys would  ;D

Normal breathing air sets a max outside dive limit at 50Metres but with Nitrox and Trimix the depths are changing.

They could use it as a training exercise

Declan

Oddy-B

• Shipmate
    • Oddy-B's Full Metal Wakkitt
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2006, 06:20:27 pm »

Hi Stavros, sorry for the loss of your boat

but on the subject of salvaging a sunken vessel I see two problems to overcome and one big opportunity

1. Location, trying to locate the exact resting place, if she went down intact she may not be be where you saw it last. I have read somewhere about bait boats with sonar for finding fish, home CCTV cameras now can see in next to zero visibility due to LEDs sending out infra red(i think). because work on low current and low voltage maybe a vessel with a sealed unit that winches said camera (which is sealed) the line doesn't have to be thick so the average depth could be achievable. Maybe someone with electronics experience could rig something up.

2 retrieval. Getting the thing back to the surface may pose a problem. What about a 2 model trawlers with  "netting" the netting having inflatable ballons. Once the location is found and being so most lakes have a layer of soft silt, the net maybe pulled under the sunken boat and the tubes inflated or at least attempt to  raise via the trawlers even attempt to pull the wreck along the lake bed to shallow waters.

I realise that 160ft is a long way down for  model, but most ponds are not this deep.
Maybe I have gotten a Little ambitious and maybe talking nonsense, but I think it would have to be great as a project.
Time is a linear reference in a non-linear universe.

Stavros

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2006, 11:00:16 pm »

Oddy B interesting ideas btu why dont the subby lads accept a big challenge find the boat,have a bloomin good weekend on Uncle Stav,now come on ladfs you have subs mount a camera and enjoy a FREE weekend if you can find it !!!!!!

Bettina

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2006, 10:17:35 pm »

Just maybe, its worth a try,
A small rowing boat, a fishing rod and plenty,plenty line.
I am sure the angling club would be game to take this on, if only to say, we where here first.
I used to have a real canal boat, I have seen the look from them,surprised that I am still here.
Ah well!!! maybe not,
Unless you want to chance it that is, for a rowing boat does not have remote control ,
 except its oars, now if you were to lose that overboard.
Better not, I have said enough.

Happy sailing,   thats if you have another, that is.
 Bettina

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2006, 10:01:02 am »

Stavros,

There is an emergency beacon available for models, it is quite small and would be able to be fitted in the boat somewhere, even in a liferaft, there is a hand held unit which will pinpoint the lost beacon and enable retreival, yes for this model it is a bit late, could be a good idea for the next one...

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2006, 12:40:24 pm »

It won't be where you think it is as it would have drifted via the undercurrent to it final resting position.
Just look at the distance the Titanic covered on its way down.

martin
seaspray

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2007, 09:56:39 pm »

Is this what it what it was like?.... Well it is red !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HuS6sjB-2Y&NR
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.