Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Mega wind farm for the Thames Estuary !!!  (Read 15600 times)

Bowwave

Mega wind farm for the Thames Estuary !!!
« on: December 20, 2009, 12:56:47 pm »

Contracts  worth over 2 bn Euros have   just been announced paving the way for the construction of   Europe's largest off shore wind farm  in the Thames Estuary .  The supply and constuction of foundations , turbines , cabling  will be undertaken by a consortium of German , Danish and Norwegian contrators .   A UK company will be responsible for the substation . Forgive me if I have misunderstood what our Prime minister  said  at the  resent  Copenhagen Climate summit.  This is  regarding jobs and business opportunities in the new  green  technologies   and I quote "renewable green technology will provide thousands  of new jobs for British industry"?
Bowwave  :((

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Mega wind farm for the Thames Estuary !!!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 01:25:14 pm »

The last UK wind turbine manufacturing capacity which was in the Isle of Wight shut down earlier this year.

Apparently their products were not right for British conditions. Wrong sort of wind I suppose.....

Colin

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 01:50:28 pm »

Wrong kind of Chunnel too. Wonder if the Alpine rail tunnels get stuck with "condensation in the electrics"  ...oh I was forgetting it is a different kind of condensation there. >>:-(
..well can you land on this?

Bradley

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 02:47:32 pm »

Do you ever get the impression the the British public are just being conned by this government and the whole thing is just a means of relieving you of more of your hard-earned cash by way of, so-called 'greenhouse' taxes. >:-o :(( {:-{ >:-o :(( {:-{
I do not believe one word that the lying politicians (of whatever nationality) pass out to us - call me cycnical if you like.  >:-o

Derek.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 03:19:49 pm »

My sentiments exactly Derek, even if the jobs were filled by people from these shores, they would probably be the cheap labour coming in from Eastern Europe anyway. I'm afraid I liken our politicians to a bunch of overgrown  schoolboys with no idea of what they are doing other than making it up as they go along and taking the public for a bunch of fools. Whatever new ideas they come up with, you can be sure of one thing, the equation will have an 'equals' sign on the end with the words 'win win' in the politicians favour following it.
Cynical? Me.... never.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 03:34:01 pm »

Arghhhh, wind farms being green? improving the carbon footprint!!
how much energy and non replacable rescouces(?) go in to building a turbine? especially the blades?
colin
grumpy old XXX

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 04:44:10 pm »

one problem with this: dartford docks
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

allnightin

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 04:44:37 pm »

how much energy and non replacable rescouces(?) go in to building a turbine? especially the blades?

Actually energy input is repaid within 6 months in a properly sited turbine which will last 20 - 25 years.  That is a better Energy Return of Investment than many other technologies including natural gas and coal fired power stations.  

Francis Macnaughton

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 05:31:10 pm »

Do you ever get the impression the the British public are just being conned by this government and the whole thing is just a means of relieving you of more of your hard-earned cash by way of, so-called 'greenhouse' taxes. >:-o :(( {:-{ >:-o :(( {:-{
I do not believe one word that the lying politicians (of whatever nationality) pass out to us - call me cycnical if you like.  >:-o

Derek.
Yes.
Notes from a simple seaman

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 05:37:24 pm »

BY Are you agreeing or calling Derek Cynical ?

Ned :police:
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 05:38:15 pm »

Before I gave up the ocean-wave for a better life I now and again ran LSLs up the river to Antwerp. At first glance there were huge wind-farms all over the place. On second glance, none of them were working, even though strong breezes were blowing. Our pilot explained that the cost of maintaining these "monuments" was higher than the income gained from the usage. So they were shut down. The same will probably happen here. BY.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 05:41:36 pm »

BY Are you agreeing or calling Derek Cynical ?

Ned :police:
I agree with Derek. A kinder and less cynical person would be hard to find. BY

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 05:47:01 pm »

BY I agree with you
Ther are a large amount of these
off Skegness and you dont seem
to see more than 30% of them
running.
Now we are going to have a large
farm off Spurn
Someone is spending our taxes
willy nilly
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bradley

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 05:51:20 pm »

Thanks for the support Bryan.

Someone is spending our taxes
willy nilly

I don't think he is called Willy or Nilly, I think his first name is Gordon but his middle name is unprintable >:-o >:-o >:-o >:-o.

Derek

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2009, 05:55:54 pm »

Before I gave up the ocean-wave for a better life I now and again ran LSLs up the river to Antwerp. At first glance there were huge wind-farms all over the place. On second glance, none of them were working, even though strong breezes were blowing. Our pilot explained that the cost of maintaining these "monuments" was higher than the income gained from the usage. So they were shut down. The same will probably happen here. BY.

The technology has changed for the turbines, look at ther two turbines at Blyth. The power cable wasn't up to the current being produced and only recently been up graded but my understanding was the two turbines were experimental anyway.

Along the tyne where the Neptune yard was has been flattened and Freddie Sheppard is building a new factory to supply the wind farm they want 50 miles off the Tyne on some sand banks.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-evening-chronicle/2009/05/02/7-5m-wind-turbine-factory-scheme-given-go-ahead-72703-23525864/
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 05:59:18 pm »

i think we should invest in Tidal and Nuclear, with older fossil fuel plants replaced with third gen nuclear stations
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2009, 10:02:01 pm »

i think we should invest in Tidal and Nuclear, with older fossil fuel plants replaced with third gen nuclear stations

For what I have seen of tidal it is in it's infancy and nuclear why because we haven't looked or invested in to anything else, fossil fuels are getting deeper and harder to get out so we haven't got a great deal of choice.
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2009, 10:13:52 pm »

Derek.

I shall call you cynical. And be happy to do so.

Without non-fossil fuel energy generation, your grandchildren are doomed, if they expect anything like the standard of life that you are used to.

So -  buy into wind, wave, CO2 sequistration and, later, fusion power. Or look forward to a flipping doomy future.

Your choice.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Bradley

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2009, 10:22:08 pm »

I shall call you cynical. And be happy to do so.

Depends what you believe about 'global warming' - whether it is man made or part of the word's natural cycle and whether anything man, in all his wisdom, can do anything to change it. :((  I have almost reached my allotted span on this earth but I do worry about how things (and not just global warming) will effect my grandson. :((

Derek.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2009, 10:42:17 pm »

Well it's not all doom and gloom. Many of us on here grew up under the shadow of the Cold War and mutually assured destruction - MAD indeed! I was old enough to be frightened by the Cuban Missile Crisis and later on at work in local government I attended a seminar which showed the likely fallout patterns should there be a nuclear atack on the UK. There were not many places where you would have stood a fighting chance of surviving.

At least my kids don't have to worry too much about that these days although they certainly have new and different challenges to contend with.

Colin

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2009, 10:47:47 pm »

Depends what you believe about 'global warming' - whether it is man made or part of the word's natural cycle and whether anything man, in all his wisdom, can do anything to change it. :((  I have almost reached my allotted span on this earth but I do worry about how things (and not just global warming) will effect my grandson. :((

Derek.

Derek, show (and explain to your grandson) this:

..and try to convince them "you"'re not responsible? Uh-uh.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2009, 10:52:45 pm »

Means nothing without an explanation I'm afraid.

There are those who argue that the amount of CO2 is not the critical factor.

Like a lot of people, I would agree that human emissions are having a very bad effect but it's not altogether clear about how they compare with natural emissions from volcanic action for example. You only have to look at a volcanic eruption to wonder how many cars it equates to.

Maybe the answer is less people - how do you deal with that?

Colin

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 11:02:03 am »

Well, all I can say is that I am very pleased to learn that somewhere else other than Wales is getting dumped on/exposed to this innefficient method of generation for a change. Many in England want wind power, but want it as far away as possible from them as it can be!!! - well it seems that way in Wales anyway!

bigfella

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 11:10:46 am »

I heard somewhere that one of these nests of Turbines and the amount needed to make it a viable alternative for fossil fuel power could change the coarse of the wind or reduce it enough to disrupt weather patterns for those areas down wind. So much for a Climate Change remedy.

Rex Hunt

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2009, 11:24:16 am »

I understand that this farm is being strategically located.......

There will be no 'wrong type of wind' or wrong direction or insufficient strength because........

Wimpeys have a contract to duct the hot air (of which there is a continuing reliable and predictable flow) direct from the Palace of Westminster, alhough it may have to be filtered to remove any trace of 'by product' solids.

More a 'Brown' strategy than a 'Green' one!

Rex
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.