Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unimat M12 0-6.5mm Mount chuck  (Read 5993 times)

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
Unimat M12 0-6.5mm Mount chuck
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:51:02 pm »

Hello everyone,

I got a 2nd hand Unimat SL lathe in 1973 and it appears that I have finally worn out the chuck.      It doesn't matter how much I tighten it, the work  just slips.   The faces of the three jaws are like mirrors!

I have searched all over the internet looking for a replacement, but have drawn a blank.     Are they still available.    It appears to be the M12 thread that is the problem.

Bob
Regards
Positive

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Unimat M12 0-6.5mm Mount chuck
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 03:03:00 pm »

I think JT1 is 12mm ring ARC they are helpfull

040-020-00900, Drill Chuck Arbor MT3-JT1 (M12 Thread),

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Chucks/Drill-Chuck-Arbors

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Chucks/Drill-Chucks

peter

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 03:12:06 pm »

Hi Peter,
Thanks.   I just rang them, but they are closed until the 7th Jan, so I will try again then.
Bob
Regards
Positive

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 05:01:41 pm »

Try http://www.pennyfarthingtools.co.uk/ they do a lot of reconditioned lathes and parts for them.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 06:44:38 pm »

Thanks,
I have just looked at Pennyfarthing and have e-mailed them in the hope they can help.   They may even be able to refurbish my existing chuck.    As I said above, the jaws are like polished steel and wont grip.   There must be some way to get the chuck apart, but I don't know what it is.
Bob
Regards
Positive

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 07:08:02 pm »

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Pro-Machine-Tools-Ltd__W0QQ_armrsZ1

These people seem to be the main suppliers for Emco parts Positive, Various can supply a new chuck so it isn't Emco specific. Some others to try are RGD or Tracy Tools. Replacing the jaws isn't normally practicable nowadays due to the cheapness of manufacture. Jacobs used to do replacement bits for their own chuck range but again costs have dropped to the point of it being a throw away item.

Regards  Ian.

Edited, Looking again, the thread in the BACK of the chuck is M12 x 1mm pitch, chances are that the original may be a "ROHM" manufactured item. M12 x 1 is a special but Tracy's do a tap for it.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

david j

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 07:24:22 pm »

hi there positive .i have bought a 12 mm x 1 drill chuck for the unimat db200 or sl1000 . from a place in america called BLUE RIDGE MACHINERY AND TOOLS INC Virginia u s a .just type in that then look for accessories in our online store, you should find unimat db200 or sl1000 with the cost . i can recomend them. i paid by pay pal and it took about three weeks. hope this is of help davidj

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 04:50:03 pm »

Thanks for further replies.       Someone on another forum told me how to open it.     I cut a short length of pipe and put it over the back end.     The pipe was the  same diameter as the outer casing rim.   I put it in a vice and after exterting an awful lot of pressure, I was able to force the inside out.    The threaded split-ring is not broken, it has to be in two pieces in order to get it to engage the teeth in the jaws.    I first cleaned out 36-years-worth of dried grease and metal particles from the inside and then rubbed each of the mirror-smooth jaws on to 400 grade wet & dry paper to rough them up a bit.      Squeezed it all back together and and the outer case now spins freely as if new.      It grips the work as well as it ever did.     I will still be following up the various links here on MBM to get a spare chuck in case it happens again.    It took and awful lot of pressure to force it all back togeher again and I am not sure how often this can be done before it is ruined.    Anyway, here is the picture of the inside in case any of you have similar problems.
Thanks for all the links and suggestions.
Bob
Regards
Positive
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.