Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let my job spoil my hobby!  (Read 1429 times)

macey666

Let my job spoil my hobby!
« on: December 21, 2009, 09:39:25 pm »

Morning/evening all - I have been interested in and have been making models since I was a kid, and am still interested in making model boats, plastic kits (cars, bikes, aircraft and fantasy stuff) but my main interest is live steam locos and traction engines and I'm currently building a 4" Mclaren traction engine.  Now I was a dockyard apprentice and have worked in various machine shops for 30 years.  I had a half decent workshop of my own until my divorce when I had to sell it all, fortunately my employer allows me to use his machinery as often as I want. However after 8 years of working there I've had enough and even threatened to sell off all the parts of the Mclaren that I've done.

Job spoils hobby I think !! Anyone else had this happen?

Anyway I quit today - I'm staying in engineering but am doing something a bit different, so maybe I'll keep my sanity and will put the Mclaren on hold until I can aquire some more machinery of my own.

Macey just letting of steam!

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Let my job spoil my hobby!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:45:29 pm »

Never mind mate, dont let it get you down, things can only get better.

Ask your football team {-)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Bradley

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 10:04:00 pm »

Don't get rid of the McLaren, you will always regret it, I know I did when I sold all my model boats about 3 years ago. {:-{ :(( :((

Derek.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 10:09:08 pm »

I have to say that all the jobs I ever had were jobs which interested me and I chose to do, not ones I simply had to take because it was 'a job'. I have been very fortunate as all my employers actively encouraged me in my hobbies as they could see my enthusiasm as having a beneficial effect for them workwise. I consider myself to be very fortunate to have been involved with the people I encountered along the way and am still friends with many of them. Most of my lunch hours were spent pursuing my hobbies using their machinery, so the experience gained on the equipment not normally used in the pursuance of my normal work meant I gained a good all round experience across the various work processes. I became a 'jack of all trades' in the end and could take on many other jobs which they found extremely beneficial.
Good old backscratching , it worked for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.