Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: static dive help!  (Read 2827 times)

rrl712

static dive help!
« on: December 22, 2009, 12:17:15 pm »

Hi everyone.I was wondering if anyone out there could help me as you all seem a really friendly bunch !Ive recently purchased a robbe u47 and 6 channel radio set with the intension of a future upgrade to a static dive setup.After reading a few threads on here it seems it may be easier to upgrade now before i get too involved in building the kit.Can anyone advise ? This is my first sub but im not a beginner at modelling,and i understand the principle behind it and have been looking at some conversions online but none of them seem to go into detail about how much work is involved and what other components i will need.Sorry if this is a big ask but id rather get this right first time!!

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: static dive help!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 01:00:38 pm »

Ye it will be easier to perform the updrade now, rather than later. How much easier depends on what dive system you want to employ. Its pretty common upgrade now so there plenty of info on the net for most dive systems.
If you haven't built and operated a sub before, I would be inclined to build the kit as intented and modify later.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 01:46:27 pm »

rrl712

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 03:32:15 pm »

Thanks Mankster./Subculture.I have come across that site but it still doesnt show everything .Ive been looking at the Engel 750ml tank system on their website and am looking into constructing a new internal frame from threaded bar and 5mm ali bulkheads which im more than confident in doing,as the one in the robbe kit is very weak and feels like it could snap with the weight of all the gear in there. I havnt come across anywhere that does an all in one package as it seems to be a popular mod,and every supplier seems to be either Germany or China.If im wrong about that please let me know!

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 03:53:56 pm »

.... every supplier seems to be either Germany or China.If im wrong about that please let me know!
You forgot the southern states in America.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 04:42:06 pm »

We have a lot of model submarine suppliers over here, just not many supplying bits for that model.

I take it you've seen Piranha Modellbau's website (German again I'm afraid). Probably the premier people for Robbe sub hop-up's

http://www.modelluboot.eu/

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 05:06:01 pm »

rrl712.

You can easily and quickly stiffen the Robbe internals for your dive tank, and it will be very stiff without any flex, I did mine a few yrs ago with a 750ml Engel tank and its still fine...but if you wish to make your own internal cradle fine.......

Don't think i would use Ali bulkheads though I would go for plastic / lexan / poly etc, bulkheads, metal Bulkheads may interfere with radio signal and you may get corrosion betwixt steel rods and ali bulkheads.

I add a pic of my modded Robbe cradle for your info, its the same mod for the V11 and the XX1.

All you do is Glue in some Square steel section rod in the H section plastic ( Not sure of the exact size but size some that fits in snuggly and glue in) at the bottom full length and then the same on either side of where the tank will go, hope the pics are self explanatary.

But please do what you want to do.

Regards Sub.  

rrl712

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 06:42:24 pm »

I havnt visited that website but i shall have a gander in a bit.Many thanks for the pics.I did have a thought earlier about using 5mm acrylic instead of ali as i thought the same about corrosion with the steel but didnt give interference a thought!Many thanks to everyone who has supplied info today,its been really helpful! :-)) I hope i can help someone out one day like you guys!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.