Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie to the Forum  (Read 1540 times)

cheechwizard

Newbie to the Forum
« on: December 23, 2009, 04:08:23 pm »

Hello,I just found and joined your forum and my interest is in electric boats.The work here is very well done, I hope to keep up.I am also in a group here in the US called the Model Marina but it seems that a lot of members have dropped out or just stopped posting.Too bad as it has some great models by the other members.
I posted pics there of my build of the Dumas 51 inch ship the USS Crockett.I chose it because it was big enough to play with but not overly complicated to build.If you wish to take a look here is the address.It is about 99% done but I still have to add the seal team and the twin photo etch 50 cals in the mid deck.
Hopefully one of these links will work.I used the same nickname of Cheechwizard ,a personal favorite cartoon.  
Thanks [Paul]

http://www.rktman.com/rlh/group/index.php?s=cbef25327b9a168ceca1d3b66de76fab&autocom=gallery&req=user&user=2288

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Newbie to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 04:15:14 pm »

Hi Cheech

Welcome aboard. Sorry to hear the other site is not well visited.
Your first link is telling me I don't have permissions, sadly.

This forum is well established and growing. You may wish to consider transfering stuff across to here. I know it is a pain to do it, but you will have a more active audience for your efforts.

Regards
Mark
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 04:24:31 pm »

The link works for me Paul, welcome aboard.

Nice model by the way. Hope you enjoy it here on the madhouse. :-))

Reckon TT's problem must be Chinese.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 04:29:04 pm »

Model Marina site http://www.rktman.com/rlh/

Some nice models there. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

cheechwizard

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 04:32:51 pm »

Thanks for the encourgement.My previous model is the mahogany Miss Adventure.I modified for twin screws.That was a difficult build but I all worked out eventually.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 04:46:53 pm »

cheechwizard,
That was a site I used to visit a while ago, but wasn't there a problem and the site not updated for a long time.
I too have almost finished a Crockett "rescued" from eBay, but find the 50 Cal Machine guns are way over scale so will be sourcing some others to fit.
Welcome aboard.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

cheechwizard

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 05:06:50 pm »

Shipmate 60.

I did not stick to scale in my build it was 1/39 so the closest I could get is 1/35 but It is close.This is a toy for the pond in back as it started then just got out of hand so to speak.
I grew up in San Diego and was infleuenced by the Seal teams in Coronado.The U.S.S. Crockett was one of the seventeen gunboats in the Asheville Class. This class had the distinction of being the first group of Navy Ships to be powered by a gas turbine. The Crockett was capable of a top speed of 50 knots but more impressive still was the fact that she could accelerate her 230 tons from 0 to 40 knots in 60 seconds. The Crockett, stationed in South Vietnam was designed for coastal patrol, blockade reconnaissance, and support missions. But rest assured when duty called, the crew of the U.S.S. Crockett could get there in a hurry. The Dumas model of the Crockett is a builders boat. She features balsa plank over die-cut mahogany frame construction for the hull, and conventional die-cut construction for the superstructure. That is why I overpowered the model... :embarrassed:

[From the description about the Dumas Model.]  Seemed Ideal for Vietnam river missions.Also had normal diesel power.

Bradley

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 05:11:51 pm »

The Crockett was capable of a top speed of 50 knots

Sounds good if the skipper wanted to go water skiing.  {-) O0
Welcome aboard, cheechwizard.

Derek.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.