Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which one??  (Read 5247 times)

Patrick Henry

Which one??
« on: December 25, 2009, 06:50:50 pm »

Lesro 575
Thunder Tiger Odyssey 11
Thunder Tiger Victoria 11
Robbe Rainbow 11

Your comments/criticisms on all four please chaps...thank you kindly.

Rich

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Which one??
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 01:51:59 am »

Comments

First piece of advice. Go to your local club and see what others are sailing. If you join that club it is nice to sail with/against others, be that competitive or noncompetitive. Having a boat in the same class will be much better for this. You can also pug in to lots of advice. You may find that you opt for a different model.

To some degree size matters.
Smaller boats are more toy like in appearance and also bob around more in the water. Longer hulls have a faster theoretical maximum speed. Then you need to balance transportability. All of the models you mentioned can be easily transported in a car, fully rigged. The  balance between size and transportability is perhaps why the 1m class is so popular.
Robbe Rainbow 2 is 500mm long
Lesro 575 is 575mm
Odyssey is 610mm
Victoria 779mm long

I have only had experience of the Victoria. I am a happy owner.
It was easy to build for a novice (me).
It sailed well out of the box.
It has been used and abused for several years and is still going strong.
It has proved very reliable.
There is a good following and there is a racing class for this boat should you wish to compete.
There is an excellent source of info on the Victoria here http://www.victoriarc.org/
Sailing (once you have the boat) is almost free. Only need to recharge batteries.
Spares are easy for Thundertiger (but I have never needed any).

Criticisms.
It is not competitive for racing out of the box. But in fairness no boat is.
The use of hitches and special knots as shown in the instructions is a pain. I used simpler knots.
The plastic deck fittings do not glue well the first time. But this is perhaps due to the adhesion surface of the plastic. However after re gluing they are solid. I only had to re-glue 2 a third time, they have since been solid for several years, no more problems. I have seen people get carried away after they have come adrift once, and spend a fortune on stainless steel deck fittings, there is no need.

In short, I have no hesitation in recommending the Victoria.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Patrick Henry

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 04:29:20 am »

Thanks TT, I thought of you as I typed the question...

My local club sails Micro Magics, Lasers and 1OM's, but I shan't be sailing competitively, just for a bit of fun and enjoyment on Friday afternoons on my way home from work...the yacht boys are far too competitive for me and they only sail Sunday mornings when I'm normally at work.

Thanks TT...you have made the executive decision for me. Victoria it is...

Rich

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 08:57:16 am »

I would seriously consider getting a Micromagic. I here that they come highly recommended.

If that is what the other boys have, they will be a good source of info on any tips and tricks for that boat.
Also you have the option to play with others once you get a bit of milage under your belt.
If you buy the Victoria and decide you want to have a play with others next year, you would need to buy another boat.

Most of the really competitive guys will be sailing the IOMs anyway. Any competition for Micromagics is likely to be more friendly.

tony23

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 12:59:44 pm »

I would go for the MicroMagic every time when you will be at the lake no doubt your going to have a little race with somebody sometime these are fantastic little boats that can be tweaked for better performance, I have had a Victoria and to be honest in my opinion there not much good the sails have no shape to them and they are what they are a 'toy' boat.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 01:02:55 pm »

I would go for the MicroMagic every time when you will be at the lake no doubt your going to have a little race with somebody sometime these are fantastic little boats that can be tweaked for better performance, I have had a Victoria and to be honest in my opinion there not much good the sails have no shape to them and they are what they are a 'toy' boat.

I will say the Micromagic is a good boat.
And I agree that the Victoria sails could be better. But changing the sails is an option. And making your own is not rocket science.

But to say the Victoria is a toy is unfair. Especially considering that they are an AMYA class for racing.
I am not alone in holding the opinion they are not a toy.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 01:19:32 pm »

Futher to my last.

I rate the Victoria much more highly than the Monsoon 900, an attempt at a 1m class boat that I built and owned for a short time, before I gave it away. This 900mm cannot be classed as a toy.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 06:19:23 pm »

u33 is now a pround owner of a 575 so any info for him!!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Patrick Henry

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 07:32:37 pm »

Ah, but I'm still looking at buying the Victoria as well...

(hope the good woman doesn't see this...    :D  :embarrassed:)

Rich

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 09:42:03 am »

MMI mag did a thing called the "WEENIP" awhile ago (details in January's edition as well) which looks easy to build an sail,
I have been thinking about something in the sailing side of things for a while, so I might have a look at the Victoria as well,
However I have always fancied an "A" class (nothing like going in at the deep end----- literally---- not sure Hove Lagoon is deep enough though)  :-))
Steamed up all the time

Patrick Henry

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 10:11:04 am »

Princes Park Lake in Eastbourne is deep enough for 'A' class boats, they used to race them there years back. First wife's dad's cousin was champion at the sport for years, he always took great delight in telling me that.

I'll have my 575 pretty soon and that together with the Victoria should more than satisfy my sailing urges. Although there's always a case for a footy...no no, must resist  O0

Rich

tony23

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 12:28:50 pm »

you don't need deep water for 'A'boats, due to weed in the summer months 'Marblehead' class boats are thinning slightly due to them having 24" fins but the 'A' class is getting popular as weed should not be an issue with them as the keel is about 8" although the bulb weight is about 24lbs  :o

I have just this week purchased an 'A'class the hull is just under 6 foot long! I can post pictures if anybody would like to see her.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 02:53:11 pm »

A 6 footer would be of great interest and with a shallow draft, that would only add to the interest.

The 'A' class is something I am not familiar with

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 03:52:07 pm »

PLease post some pics SpamCan Man

TT An "A" class boat is just something to behold, very popular in the 50's & 60's, racing with vane sterring and about an 8ft mast !!!
Steamed up all the time

tony23

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 04:37:37 pm »

PLease post some pics SpamCan Man

TT An "A" class boat is just something to behold, very popular in the 50's & 60's, racing with vane sterring and about an 8ft mast !!!

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and start a new thread so this one stays on track so to speak.
Steamboatphil I sail near you I guess you are a member of BlackPark.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 04:47:35 pm »

JUST FOUND A BLOKE ON EBAY SELLING 575'S
REF 170310948157

LOOK AT THE PRICE!!!! U 33 YOU GAT A BARGAIN LOL!!!!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Patrick Henry

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 07:23:39 pm »

That'll be Lesro Models then...about £65??? The man is mad...

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.