Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No more "88's"...  (Read 3622 times)

Patrick Henry

No more "88's"...
« on: December 27, 2009, 12:56:22 pm »

I heard on the radio earlier a story about a bingo caller being warned by a local council jobsworth executive that he would be prosecuted if he continued to use the 'old' phrases when calling out the drawn numbers...ie, "two fat ladies---88", that sort of thing. Apparently a 'rather plump' woman had objected to his use of the words on the grounds of discrimination against her size.

I do not believe this...what the heck is going on in this crazy, mixed up world? How long have bingo callers used these terms?

Have we all gone mad?

Rich

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: No more "88's"...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 02:00:53 pm »

Nearly right Rich

Bingo calls axed over court fears

1:25pm Saturday 26th December 2009
© Press Association 2009 »

A local councillor who calls the numbers at charity bingo sessions has stopped saying "two fat ladies 88" and "legs 11" because council officials fear players might take offence and sue.

Pensioner John Sayers, who runs weekly games in the town hall in Sudbury, Suffolk, said no-one had complained about being offended - but players moaned that his numbers-only style was "boring".

Mr Sayers, 75, a member of Sudbury Town Council and former town mayor, said a council clerk advised him to cut the traditional comic calls in case the authority found itself in hot water.

"The concern was that if there might be two large ladies in the audience when I said 'two fat ladies 88' or someone might think I was looking at their legs when I said 'legs 11'," he said.

"I was advised that someone might take offence and we could end up being taken to court."

He added: "I don't like. No-one had ever complained about being offended. But they moan now they say it's boring. And I think just saying the numbers is boring too.

"I'm obviously not being offensive - just having a bit of fun. It's the tradition of the game and part of our language."
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

The long Build

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 02:07:40 pm »

Well if I was A Judge and that came to my court I would tell the woman to get a life and prosecute the Jobsworth..   If it was Me I would still carry on using the TRADITIONAL terms and force a court case. <*<

Wasyl

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 02:13:21 pm »

There has only ever been one   "88"...this one,

Flugabwehr-Kanone  8,8 cm Flak the mere mention of an 88 sent shock waves through the advancing allies in WW11 especially if it was in a Tger,or in the guise of an anti tank gun,

Wullie                    

Patrick Henry

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 02:28:48 pm »

Thanks Dicky, I was on the right track  then.

It's absolutely crazy now, all this sue, sue, sue business. I'm told I can't call anyone at work by their nicknames any longer...we've only been doing it for forty odd years....in case they take offence to it. I've been called Sophie(or Rachael)ever since I've been there and it doesn't worry me a jot...we have a Slack Alice, Gobby, Twiglet, Pasta, Knuckle Dragger, 'arry Potter, Romeo, Skipper, The Brigadier...the list goes on. Our boss is known as Wingnut, a name he gave himself...but we can't use them any longer.

Bring back the old days...please.

Rich

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 02:38:14 pm »

I was told a few years ago that we were to stop using the expression Merry Chrsitmas and we could only use Happy Holidays for fear of offending someone of a different religeon.   When oh when are we going to rebel against the mindless minority who are dictating to the vast majority of normal thinking, tolerant and open minded people?

I still refuse to say Happy Holidays and will be more than ready to take my case as high as is required to make the point should it be necessary.  As for nicknames, most of the ones used in a ship's engine room are unrepeatable here and I wouldn't even dare trying to stop it!
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Patrick Henry

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 03:35:44 pm »

Well said BB...we have one or two nicknames which are, shall we say...close to the edge?  %)

We have a lady dustcart driver who is gay, she's been called several things(as you may have guessed)...I've always called her either widget(safe version)or an old tart. Can't say that now, it may cause sexual discrimination.

The biggest hoo haa was when we had a coloured chap come to work at our depot...he was instantly named Denzil, after the character in Only Fools and Horses. Denzil he was known as for years, until a member of the public heard one of his crew call him by his nickname...said member of the public was straight on the phone, made an official complaint, and both of them had to report to the corridors of power. Result...the crew member received an official written warning and Denzil was off sick for three months suffering from stress related race discrimination!

Rich

Oh, and more thing...my eldest daughter is gay. No problem, never bothered me in the slightest...but I can't call her a old d*ke in public for fear of upsetting a straight person who happens to be in earshot. Would you believe that?

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 03:42:08 pm »

Thats the end of all the Names on MBM
Bunkerbarge will now be known as Vessel wot fills up other vessels with fluids appropriate to their needs!
FLJ will be Complete Animal skin Covering
Martin will be Martin-
My name came from the RN Drying out Hospital where I never got the chance to vsit
Just given the name for being a bit of a mad 'person when racing large yachts =1 to 1 scale!
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Wasyl

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 03:43:07 pm »

These mindless minority that you speak of,are Not mindless, they are well Orchestrated,and have been for many years,you just have to look back at, all the things that have disappeared from our society,that was or is not to their liking,Just this year in Oct,Halloween to be exact,a teacher at a primary school, in Scotland, forbade her class to celebrate Halloween,..she said it was a pagan belief and that it was against "her religion"..Did the council rule against her,No they did not,for fear of upsetting her,it did,nt matter that the children and their parents were upset,the list is endless,Weather we like it or not,we will just have to live with it,because  "these mindless minority" are not going to go away,
Over the past few years,up here in Scotland,there has only been one issue,whereby the outcome of this issue went back to the status quo,
This issue was played out in Dundee last year,..Tayside Police printed leaflets to inform the,small shopkeeper  community,about awareness of crime and crime prevention,On this leaflet was a picture of one of their latest recruits,"a,Black German Shepherd Pup,...a member of the local labour council took offence to this Leaflet,..well the Dog to be exact,he said it was against his "religion"and that dogs were filthy animals and that this leaflet was an affront to them,It did,nt occur to him that he, also being a shopkeeper,had dozens of pictures of dogs in his shop,"Dog Food" and he made a profit from these filthy animals,He got articles published in the local,paper,he raised an objection with Tayside Police,...After about a week, Tayside,Police issued an apology to this councilor,but then the local community leaders,who,s religion was the same as the councillor in question,issued a statement,saying "this councillor does not act in our name"and they backed the Police,..The councillor in question was forced to resign and issue an apology,
Bureaucracy gone mad

Wullie

Wasyl

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 04:06:49 pm »

Another issue that really annoys me,is the one regarding,the wearing of the veil,by some women, "the correct name escapes" me"Don,t get me wrong,I am not against them wearing it,what i am against is,..When i was a motorcyclist,I had to remove my helmet when entering a Bank,Post Office,Petrol Station,Civic building etc,etc,now I used to wear  a flip open Helmet,which allowed my full face to be shown,whilst still being able to keep it on,I even wore my Helmet once when driving my soft top Suzuki 4 x 4,but i got stopped by the police who told me to remove it,as it could impare my vision of the road,...but this was not acceptable to the afore mentioned institutions,yet a women wearing this full veil whereby only her eyes are visible can do all of the afore mentioned things and its acceptable,

Wullie

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 04:13:07 pm »

So how many times do you think I get people having a go at me when I exhibit my grandads 1946 boat

Please note: I do not wish to offend anyone but it happens to be the name it was given--(there is a story why that goes with it too)

Steamed up all the time

Patrick Henry

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 04:19:31 pm »

Good grief man, you can't call a boat THAT!!! A member of the public may complain....

Taking the concept one step further, how about if you have a boat named after your wife/girlfriend? What if another woman who shares the same name was to complain that you'd used her name with prior consultation with her? It could well happen...

Rich

Wasyl

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2009, 04:34:41 pm »

(I do not wish to offend anyone but it happens to be the name it was given--(there is a story why that goes with it too)....And?????you can,t just stop there,you have our fullest attention, {-)

Wullie

regiment

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2009, 04:44:15 pm »

bring back love thy neighbor and we can all have a laugh like the old times 

The long Build

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 04:54:05 pm »

The Rocking Song
Little Lord, sweetly sleep, do not stir;
We will lend a coat of fur,
We will rock you, rock you, rock you,
We will rock you, rock you, rock you:

Fur is no longer appropriate wear for small infants, both due to risk of allergy to animal fur, and for ethical reasons. Therefore faux fur, a nice cellular blanket or perhaps micro-fleece material should be considered a suitable alternative.

Please note, only persons who have been subject to a Criminal Records Bureau check and have enhanced clearance will be permitted to rock baby Lord. Persons must carry their CRB disclosure with them at all times and be prepared to provide three forms of identification before rocking commences.

Jingle Bells
Dashing through the snow
In a one horse open sleigh
O'er the fields we go
Laughing all the way

A risk assessment must be submitted before an open sleigh is considered safe for members of the public to travel on. The risk assessment must also consider whether it is appropriate to use only one horse for such a venture, particularly if passengers are of larger proportions. Please note, permission must be gained from landowners before entering their fields. To avoid offending those not participating in celebrations, we would request that laughter is moderate only and not loud enough to be considered a noise nuisance.

While Shepherds Watched
While shepherds watched
Their flocks by night
All seated on the ground
The angel of the Lord came down
And glory shone around

The union of Shepherd's has complained that it breaches health and safety regulations to insist that shepherds watch their flocks without appropriate seating arrangements being provided, therefore benches, stools and orthopaedic chairs are now available. Shepherds have also requested that due to the inclement weather conditions at this time of year that they should watch their flocks via cctv cameras from centrally heated shepherd observation huts.
Please note, the angel of the lord is reminded that before shining his / her glory all around she / he must ascertain that all shepherds have been issued with glasses capable of filtering out the harmful effects of UVA, UVB and Glory.

Little Donkey
Little donkey, little donkey on the dusty road
Got to keep on plodding onwards with your precious load

The RSPCA have issued strict guidelines with regard to how heavy a load that a donkey of small stature is permitted to carry, also included in the guidelines is guidance regarding how often to feed the donkey and how many rest breaks are required over a four hour plodding period. Please note that due to the increased risk of pollution from the dusty road, Mary and Joseph are required to wear face masks to prevent inhalation of any airborne particles. The donkey has expressed his discomfort at being labelled 'little' and would prefer just to be simply referred to as Mr. Donkey. To comment upon his height or lack thereof may be considered an infringement of his equine rights.

We Three Kings
We three kings of Orient are
Bearing gifts we traverse afar
Field and fountain, moor and mountain
Following yonder star

Whilst the gift of gold is still considered acceptable - as it may be redeemed at a later date through such organisations as 'cash for gold' etc, gifts of frankincense and myrrh are not appropriate due to the potential risk of oils and fragrances causing allergic reactions. A suggested gift alternative would be to make a donation to a worthy cause in the recipients name or perhaps give a gift voucher.
We would not advise that the traversing kings rely on navigation by stars in order to reach their destinations and suggest the use of RAC routefinder or satellite navigation, which will provide the quickest route and advice regarding fuel consumption. Please note as per the guidelines from the RSPCA for Mr Donkey, the camels carrying the three kings of Orient will require regular food and rest breaks. Facemasks for the three kings are also advisable due to the likelihood of dust from the camels hooves.

Rudolph the red nosed reindeer
Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer
had a very shiny nose.
And if you ever saw him,
you would even say it glows.

You are advised that under the Equal Opportunities for All policy, it is inappropriate for persons to make comment with regard to the ruddiness of any part of Mr. R. Reindeer. Further to this, exclusion of Mr R Reindeer from the Reindeer Games will be considered discriminatory and disciplinary action will be taken against those found guilty of this offence. A full investigation will be implemented and sanctions - including suspension on full pay - will be considered whilst this investigation takes place.

Wasyl

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 04:59:38 pm »

I saved up loads of tokens from Robertsons Jam,so that I could get the "little Gold Badge"...But,it was to no avail,..the little fellow got removed,as he was deemed to be .......?
Fortunately I,ve still got a memory of what was part of our everyday life,..before it was changed,..I have an original bottle of Camp Coffee & Chicory,whereby the "man-servant is standing with a tray on which sits a pot of coffee,and the Highlander in Full Scottish dress is sitting"..Now their both sitting,....

Wullie

Wasyl

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 05:26:21 pm »

The worlds definitely gone bonkers,
A friend of mine has two step-daughters,when they were 14 and 16 they were forever getting drunk on cheap cider,and  alcho-pops etc,he and their mother were at wits end and tried everything to make them see sense, but their pleas fell on deaf ears,they were forever getting into trouble "minor" and on more than one occasion they were brought home,drunk by the local police officer,who in a no uncertain manner told the parents to take more care of their children,

Well,my mate and his wife tried to do just that,the folowing weekend both the girls got really drunk in the house whilst my mate and his wife were out,When they came home both the girls were in a drunken stupor,My mate tried to get them to sober up,but all he and his wife got was abuse,the girls were sent to there rooms,On going to bed my mate locked the front and back doors,...his big mistake was,"he did not leave the keys in the doors"Both the girls woke up and decided they wanted to go out,but on finding the doors locked,they phone the Police and said that their step-dad had locked them in,..The police attended,and almost battered the door down, when my mate and their mother opened the door,there were 4 police officers,who informed the parents that they might be charged with false imprisonment,When my mate protested he was told "Shut It"or we.ll lift you for a "Breach of the peace"all the while both girls are smirking and falling about,When there mother asked the Policeman ,what can we do,she was told,  "talk to your girls"but you cannot lock them in,its against their "human Rights!
My wife and I have 6 children between us,and we thank God that we,ve never had a problem with any of them,and they are now all adults with good jobs,

Wullie

davidm1945

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 06:50:19 pm »

Rudolph the red nosed reindeer
Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer
had a very shiny nose.
And if you ever saw him,
you would even say it glows.

You are advised that under the Equal Opportunities for All policy, it is inappropriate for persons to make comment with regard to the ruddiness of any part of Mr. R. Reindeer. Further to this, exclusion of Mr R Reindeer from the Reindeer Games will be considered discriminatory and disciplinary action will be taken against those found guilty of this offence. A full investigation will be implemented and sanctions - including suspension on full pay - will be considered whilst this investigation takes place.

It should also be noted that as it is only the female reindeer that carries antlers in the wintertime any reference to Mr R Reindeer is in breach of Sexual Equality Legislation!    %)

Dave

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 03:08:03 pm »

"two fat ladies---88", that sort of thing. Apparently a 'rather plump' woman had objected to his use of the words on the grounds of discrimination against her size.
If he had ad-libbed "one fat lady  - number eight" and pointed at her, she might have had a point.  As it is, the phrase has been use ever since bingo became legal, so she should have known in advance what to expect.  Unless the number had never come up at any previous bingo session she had attended, or if she already suspected that the phrase would be used and attended in order to be offended.
From the original story, it appears that the caller is a local councillor.  This should imply that he should have the guts to have opinions and support them.  He should also be able to tell the difference between upsetting one and pleasing the majority and pleasing one at the expense of everybody else, to the actual benefit of nobody.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

andygh

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2009, 09:08:21 pm »

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2009, 05:27:57 pm »

The sayings go back to Armed Forces Tombola
No way will I post some of them on a family forum
I agree the aforesaid Councillor should have had
more 'Stand up and be Counted'
less 'Walk all over me'

Yours Aye

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.