Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OUR LASS II BUILD - MODEL SLIPWAY  (Read 70932 times)

oruna1

Re: OUR LASS II BUILD - MODEL SLIPWAY
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2010, 10:04:04 pm »

I just set up all the mounts for the running gear.  I remembered to not be like the guy who built the boat in the basement and couldn't get it out   :o

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 06:42:15 pm »

Don't think even I'd do anything like that.%) But know people who have. {-) All the running gear,electronics etc is all easily removed, taken it all out to carry on with the build anyway. number6 :-))

oruna1

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 01:57:56 am »

I made a bit more progress.  Next the railings and the rear gantry.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 06:52:40 pm »

Looking good, mine on hold at the moment due to decorating the living room. {:-{

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 03:36:18 pm »

Hi All
Great builds ,

Has anyone had one in water yet ??
and what running gear have you been installing ?

Cheers spud

oruna1

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 04:14:15 am »

I had the maiden voyage Saturday with a second run on Easter Sunday.  She ran great, I'm using a Graupner 900 motor Model Slipway supplied, direct drive.  Actually too much power because it reached terminal velocity at about half throttle and the remainder just pushed a bunch of water.  (2) 6V batteries in series with a Mack speed controller 7300

http://www.mackproductsrc.com/Speed%20Controls.htm

I still have detail parts to add but I got itchey to run it on a beautiful Saturday and Sunday. 
Once I figure it out I'll post the video on you-tube.

Sunday was a liittle windy (probably 10 to 15 ft scale seas and it was extremely stable).  I actually took some "greene" water over the bow, had water running out the scuppers I cut out in the stern, and no problems even side to  :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2010, 03:52:56 pm »

Hi All
Great builds ,

Has anyone had one in water yet ??
and what running gear have you been installing ?

Cheers spud

Will be runing mine with a Torpedo 800 with marine20 esc on 6v mainly because I'd got them already. Should be working on her again soon,decorating nearly done(thankfully!!) :-)) Unless the mrs has any more bright ideas %)

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2010, 10:11:21 pm »

hi
thanks for your replys and the info
i'm going to south shields show at the weekend so i can have a look at one and i might buy one
cheers
spud

oruna1

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2010, 02:34:06 pm »

Here a link to a video of her.  I wish the quality was better, it's from a high def camera but I don't know how to post it properly.  More details to add (crane, doors, fwd mast) but it's fun to run as she is.  :-)
Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUQkUyQM-Ro

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2010, 02:59:51 pm »

Blimey, looks a bit choppy out there, brave man sailing her! Looking good, fair size seas those would be if scaled up! Keep us posted, number6. :-)) :-))

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2010, 04:34:35 pm »

Hi All
I picked one up from the show on Saturday but won't be starting it for abit (other models to finish) i will post pic's when i do
spud

Roger in France

« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2010, 06:13:45 pm »

Do you think she needs a little more ballast, low down?

Roger in France

oruna1

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2010, 06:38:50 pm »

All the ballast is below the water line as well as the batteries.  She is floating level with just a little waterline showing.  It seems very stable, she wants to right herself very quickly as you can see.  Not much else I can do at this point.  It has more weight down low than the real one does.  What are you observing that makes you think there is something amiss?  This is my first RC model of this type and I'm very impressed with it at this point.

Roger in France

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2010, 06:50:11 pm »

It appeared to me that the "bobbing action" was not natural and it seemed as if her below the waterline hull was more visible than I would expect.

However, I accept a model is to scale and the waves are alway 1:1!

Roger in France

oruna1

« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2010, 07:41:43 pm »

Actually it would be 15-25 ft seas, very steep  And I was at times steaming full speed into them so it would be like an emergency situation.  You also wouldn't sit side to in these types of seas if you could avoid it.  If you were inside you would need "seat belts" for sure. :}

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2010, 08:29:33 pm »

My Model Slipway Maggie M bobs about a bit too even though she is ballasted low down and down to the waterline.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

oruna1

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2010, 09:31:23 pm »

I really think that's about how the real ones act.  If I watch the video in slow motion it looks very accurate.  If anything I think it's roll period is too quick which having the weight too low will cause it to act that way.  I didn't have to pay any attention to how I controlled her into the sea.  I could turn any time I felt like it with the boat taking the sea in any direction and I didn't worry about it.  The lake can get much nastier than what is in the video so I'll have to pay attention.  If I move slowly thru the seas it hardly would make any splashes at all.  Very impressive how the bow being that full would lift the hull without getting any green water over the bow :o

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2010, 09:46:58 pm »

Where were you sailing Our Lass in the video?

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

oruna1

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2010, 03:13:22 am »

In Lake Ronkonkoma, NY USA

oruna1

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2010, 02:23:21 pm »

I'm not sure how to modify/edit my previous post but I managed to get a better quality video posted on you tube.  I deleted the previous one.  The new link is as follows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avtEvRuMTBE

Michel

« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2010, 05:07:02 pm »

Nice video!
Glad to see that the model can cope in rough water.

Did there come water thrue the stern cutouts in these conditions?

oruna1

« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2010, 09:37:27 pm »

Some water came in the aft openings but I modified the aft lower deck to be one piece and follow the actual deck deck line from the real boat.  I cut 2 scuppers on the port and starboard sides which were draining water off the deck for sure, although water also comes in from the scuppers when they are under water.  I mounted the rudder servo forward with access to it from the main opening under the pilothouse.  No problems at all and it's fun to see the water comming out of the scuppers to drain off the deck.  The sea has to be really big and steep to go in the openings of the stern.  I would close them off for sure if you don't seal up the aft lower deck and cut some scuppers.   That much free surface water weight without being able to drain it off would not be too good for the boats stability.

Michel

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2010, 10:30:27 pm »

Thanks for the anwser.  Maybe I will also do that modification but I also want to keep access to the rudder to grease the rudder schaft in the tube.
I will sleep on it a few nights :)

john-irvine

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2010, 07:36:47 pm »

i found that with my Maggie M model vasalene sealed the aft hatch of her very well. I intend to do the same with the rudder access hatch of my Our Lass.

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 07:31:47 am »

Well I'll finally be cracking on with mine after few months doing other projects. Off work for few weeks now so watch this space!! :-)) :-))
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.