Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OUR LASS II BUILD - MODEL SLIPWAY  (Read 70924 times)

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
Re: OUR LASS II BUILD - MODEL SLIPWAY
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2011, 06:43:38 pm »

Thanks for that John. Finally got virtually all the small fittings and sub assemblies finished. Just got to do the liferaft cannisters. Did a test fit to make sure everything is ok and was going to start priming her, but it started to rain, typical. Hopefully might get to do some painting tomorrow after work, Dave.  :-))

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2011, 06:56:23 pm »

Looking very nice Dave, I would seriously think about cutting another access hatch though !

nhp651

« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2011, 07:13:01 pm »

I would love to do this build. It looks very impressive and the photos are great - nice work guys! Sadly I don't have the space to store anything that large.  Even my MS Trent has to live on my work table, when the table's not in use. Guess I'll have to look for something smaller (narrower).

or a bigger workshop , Spook, {-) {-) {-) {-)

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2011, 05:18:02 pm »

After a mornings sailing with great weather I started to prime her. Unfortunately I managed to run out of paint and with the UK's Sunday trading laws with shops closing at 4pm I can't get any more now until tomorrow so that's that for today. She's coming on now though, Dave.  :-))

Spook

« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2011, 09:52:11 pm »

I'll bet that takes a few cans of primer!  :o

ixion

« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2011, 09:58:12 pm »

She's looking good  :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2011, 11:01:00 am »

She certainly is.             :-)) :-))

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: July 25, 2011, 03:25:26 pm »

Thanks for the compliments guys, much appreciated.  :embarrassed:  As for paint and primer... I've exhausted all the primer I had, must have used about 4 cans so far. I should hopefully have enough of the topcoats, lacquer etc as I stocked up on it when I originally had the kit. Think us model boaters should get shares in Halfords!  O0 More painting to be done tomorrow, weather permitting of course, Dave.  :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2011, 12:38:51 pm »

Done some more painting today. I don't know why I didn't paint below the waterline before I put the railings on, I usually do, must be getting old! Some sections of Our Lass are awkward to mask to say the least but worthwhile to get a good finish, just make sure you've got plenty of tape. I've been using my favourite Tamiya tape to give nice clean edges. She's going to be 'weathered' when finished but she's coming on nicely. Going to let the hull dry properly for a day or so before I turn her back over again, quite a lot of weight to be sitting on fresh paintwork, don't want to risk marking her needlessly. More to come soon, Dave.  :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2011, 07:38:01 pm »

More done yesterday and today. She's coming together now, most of the spraying is all done. I've started to do the weathering on her as I don't want her to be in 'showroom' condition. More photos to come soon, Dave.  :-))

nhp651

« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2011, 08:39:56 pm »

beautiful work dave......i like these types of boats.....and you've made a cracking job of her.
neil.

manx venture

« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2011, 09:55:49 pm »

looking good, i was thinking of weathering mine aswell but never got round to it, shes chipped and banged from being in the water and in and around the rocks in the river i use her in, the real our lass dosnt get very "weatherd" as shes repainted every year and well looked after, only the stern quarters were the trawl doors come up get marked

http://www.trawlerphotos.co.uk/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=82694&title=our-lass-iiwy-261&cat=682

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2011, 06:58:23 am »

Cheers for the comments guys. I did read somewhere that she gets a repaint every year or so, I just like the look of a weathered fishing boat. It's not going to be too over the top, just enough. I wonder if anyone's bought her yet as she was up for sale? I'm hoping to virtually finish her today but it's raining at the moment and she'll need a coat of clear lacquer before I put the ropes, nets etc on. More photos to go on later, Dave.  :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2011, 12:25:44 pm »

Well the rain has stopped any more progress today as I need to give her a coat of lacquer before I can do any more. She just needs the hydraulic lines for the crane fitting, ropes and chains fitting, trawl boards attaching. Some small painting jobs to do, also need the liferaft canisters doing but I'm going to get resin ones from the Warrington show as I don't like the vac-formed ones supplied. Just wondering what I'm going to do next, got a few kits in the garage I can be getting on with, hmmm, decisions, decisions, Dave.  :-))

nhp651

« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2011, 06:27:20 pm »

Anne Letitia russell,............ Waveney Scout...............perhaps, lol {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2011, 06:34:05 pm »

Excellent model Dave, love the weathering, how did you do it ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2011, 07:03:36 pm »

Excellent model Dave, love the weathering, how did you do it ?

Thanks Richard, the weathering has all been done with Tamiya weatherline master (item 87085). It contains colours orange rust, gunmetal and silver, they're like soft pastel blocks. I apply them dry using a dry brush or small piece of sponge, or my finger tips! They can be applied wet but I don't think it works as well. It's all sealed afterwards using Halfords clear lacquer (all paint used on her has been Halfords acrylic aerosols). Beware of using the lacquer on Humbrol paint (all enamel paints?) as it reacts causing it to craze and break up, that's something I found out to my cost a few years ago! Dave.  :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2011, 07:15:58 pm »

Anne Letitia russell,............ Waveney Scout...............perhaps, lol {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Hmmmm, do like Anne Letitia Russell, classic lifeboat.....  Sent you an email, Dave.  :-))

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2011, 10:44:04 pm »

Thanks Richard, the weathering has all been done with Tamiya weatherline master (item 87085). It contains colours orange rust, gunmetal and silver, they're like soft pastel blocks. I apply them dry using a dry brush or small piece of sponge, or my finger tips! They can be applied wet but I don't think it works as well. It's all sealed afterwards using Halfords clear lacquer (all paint used on her has been Halfords acrylic aerosols). Beware of using the lacquer on Humbrol paint (all enamel paints?) as it reacts causing it to craze and break up, that's something I found out to my cost a few years ago! Dave.  :-))

Thanks Dave, I have weathered several of my boats but haven't as yet plucked up the courage to do my Maggie M. I was wondering about using the Tamiya stuff, might give it a go now. :-))
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Mike S

« Reply #119 on: August 08, 2011, 01:39:14 pm »

Hi Dave, (Number 6),

I'm just starting out on an Our Lass II build and have followed your build with great interest, excellent work by the way, looking really good. I'm still mulling over the interior layout and also how much of the ballast to make removable, especially with the restricted access via the wheelhouse hatch. Any chance of a photo of the interior, underneath the bonnet as it were, to see how you did it?

Cheers,

Mike

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2011, 02:41:07 pm »

Hi there Mike, thanks for the compliment. I've only done a couple of trials with ballast yet but hoping to finalise it all over the next few days and get the maiden voyage done. Once I've sorted it all out I'll put some photos on. I did consider cutting another access hatch in like Manx Venture has done (good idea I think), but I'll try it without it first. Keep us posted with your build, I would do another one, slightly altered, different colour scheme etc. I'll put some more pics on soon, cheers, Dave.  :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: August 16, 2011, 11:46:09 am »

Thought I'd post a few more pics now the crane is finished and the rigging is in place. Still not completed the internal wiring yet, hopefully get that all sorted tomorrow. Couple of small fittings to go on yet, wipers, lifebelts, finish the lights off and glazing to go in. Getting liferaft canisters and chain for trawl boards from Warrington show. I've been busy sorting out my new working area over the last couple of days too, Dave.  :-))

Spook

« Reply #122 on: August 16, 2011, 03:29:15 pm »

WOW! that does look good.   :-)) I wish I could paint weathering as nicely as that.  >:-o

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2011, 05:56:38 pm »

Hi there Spook, thanks for the compliments. The weathering is Tamiya weatherline stuff, have a look at my previous post about it. Good thing with that is you can take it off if it doesn't look right before you seal it with a clearcoat of lacquer. Cheers, Dave.  :-))

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2011, 06:09:04 pm »

Our Lass 2 had her maiden voyage this morning. Mainly I wanted to get her ballasted properly and of course check for any leaks. She's sitting a bit high at the stern in the photos but this was sorted by adding some more lead, unfortunately I forgot to get a photo of her sitting on the waterline. The main ballast consisted of 4 x 4 pint plastic milk bottles this time filled with water. I'll weigh how much they are and will replace the water with sand, I don't fancy the idea of nearly 16 pints of water potentially flooding the hull! I'll post the total ballast weight and pics of the internal layout once I've finalised it. Still got to add the liferaft canisters and some other bits but I got most of the pieces I wanted from the Warrington Boat show(s).
On the water she sailed beautifully and was very responsive, I couldn't fault her for her first voyage, she looks great too. There was a very small amount of water inside but I think it was from a leaky water bottle inside. Top marks go out to Model Slipway again for a great kit and I think she's a bargain. I'd certainly build another one, Dave.  :-))
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.