Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dockside crane accident...  (Read 1590 times)

polaris

• Shipmate
Dockside crane accident...
« on: December 29, 2009, 01:07:44 pm »

Dear All,

The Link below - recently sent to me - shows how very very quickly things can turn extremely nasty with machinery.

Care at all times with all things is paramount... however large or small...

Regards, Bernard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5GY6Efkyjo

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Dockside crane accident...
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 04:40:05 pm »

Reading down the comments it appears that the operator got away with it, being fished out alive and well by the other crane.
Almost a roadrunner happening.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

polaris

• Shipmate
Re: Dockside crane accident...
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 06:38:38 pm »

Dear Malcolm,

Well, thankfully yes in this instance.

A long while ago (late 1980's), as a side line for about a year, I had a bit to do with gnrl. Site Safety/Machy. opers. on large Projs.. Whilst being appreciated by mchy. operators who were concerned about their hours and operating efficiency, certain Project Mgrs. and Opers.Dirs. were not very friendly sometimes - even though I had full authority from their HO's.. After a few major 'run-ins' with the latter bods, once or twice in front of said operators (I couldn't care a damn if things were wrong), I decided enough was enough, and if said Co.'s wanted accidents then so be it. I am a Member of an Inst., now a changed name Inst., and whilst I felt an obligation, I felt that sometimes I was banging my head against a brick wall. Things have changed since then, and the litigation aspect of things have made a great difference. Some of the practices for the sake of speed and production I saw were amazing, but all has changed now... I wonder how many of those I chastised now remember what I told them! - mind you, one Co. had to pay out a fortune about ten years ago for an 'accident' about ten years ago. Absolutely no such thing as an accident... there is always a cause.
Regards, Bernard
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.