Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• Mayhem Wicksteed Rally!: May 29, 2010 - May 30, 2010
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Down

Author Topic: Wicksteed 2010  (Read 194084 times)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Wicksteed 2010 - The Rally! - May 29,30
« Reply #450 on: May 31, 2010, 05:06:25 pm »

I came I saw and I marvelled
My first Mayhem and I was Amayzed!
You really know how to put on a show Martin
The Marquee levitation was especially impressive
The mobile lighthouse has been investigated by the
Brethren of Trinity House.
Thanks to everyone who put in all the hard work
to make it a success in spite of the weather probs.
Come wind and rain we shall sail our boats!

Yours Aye

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

brianc

« Reply #451 on: May 31, 2010, 05:43:20 pm »

Hi Guy`s.
What can I say that has`nt already been said?????
Our first visit, but it most certainly won`t be our last (If you`ll have us back that is %)) it was worth every minute of the journey down.
Thanks for a brilliant weekend and the very warm welcome,I`m already looking forward to the next one :-))

Remember to place your order early for the B.B.Q goodies Martin and we`ll bring some special Scottish treats down for the breakfast on Sunday and before anyone say`s it...no, we won`t be bringing the deep fried Mars bars (nasty things {-))
Thanks everyone,you should ALL be extremely proud for putting on such an excellent event ;)

modelboatbits

« Reply #452 on: May 31, 2010, 05:46:15 pm »

I to would like to give a very BIG thank you to: Martin, the team and all other mayhemer's that made me feel very welcome at my first mayhem rally.

I got home in telford at 7:00 pm However my gazeebo arrived at 5:30 pm  :embarrassed:

Steve  

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #453 on: May 31, 2010, 07:09:57 pm »

On behalf of Luton and District Model Boat Club, I would like to say a big thankyou to Martin and ALL the Mayhem Team for a great weekend! As this was my First Mayhem week end I would like to point out some highlights.
The total friendliness of EVERYONE who camped or came to the show. The fact that with my Mayhem Badge on, I received comments, Your Klunk, you're not what I was expecting!! (not sure what they were expecting!!)
To Mr and Mrs Brumstead........who every time I went past their caravan, conned me out of more money! But I did get a very welcome cup of tea!!!
The advice and information imparted willingly.
Meeting the large cuddly bear named Stavros!
getting wet on Saturday, but that did not diminish the atmosphere of all the hardened Mayhemmer's!
Seeing all the wind shredded Gazebo's on Sunday morning before the Public got in and the fact that everone pitched in to get it all sorted quickly.
Meeting and putting faces to all the names on mayhem!
Again thanks to all who came and introduced themselves and a really big thanks to Jack of Palaform, I came, I bought and he built my new hovercraft. It is all finished now and waiting to be test driven.........
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #454 on: May 31, 2010, 07:25:46 pm »

On behalf of Luton and District Model Boat Club, I would like to say a big thankyou to Martin and ALL the Mayhem Team for a great weekend! As this was my First Mayhem week end I would like to point out some highlights.
The total friendliness of EVERYONE who camped or came to the show. The fact that with my Mayhem Badge on, I received comments, Your Klunk, you're not what I was expecting!! (not sure what they were expecting!!)
To Mr and Mrs Brumstead........who every time I went past their caravan, conned me out of more money! But I did get a very welcome cup of tea!!!
The advice and information imparted willingly.
Meeting the large cuddly bear named Stavros!
getting wet on Saturday, but that did not diminish the atmosphere of all the hardened Mayhemmer's!
Seeing all the wind shredded Gazebo's on Sunday morning before the Public got in and the fact that everone pitched in to get it all sorted quickly.
Meeting and putting faces to all the names on mayhem!
Again thanks to all who came and introduced themselves and a really big thanks to Jack of Palaform, I came, I bought and he built my new hovercraft. It is all finished now and waiting to be test driven.........
Good to meet you . see you at Stevenage in a few weeks. Let hope we can keep Andy on the case!!!
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Made it to 80 (25p Richer now)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #455 on: May 31, 2010, 07:47:04 pm »

Yep great week-end as always , good to see old friends and make new , and without the wind and rain it just wouldn't have been a Mayhem week-end , thanks to all who made it what it was.To Martin and his team of helpers ...thanks .
                Cheers All see you next year and Dave hope the finger is feeling better very difficult taking money and handing over goods with only one hand
I'm not old I'm mature middle aged

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #456 on: May 31, 2010, 07:57:19 pm »

Sorry but Andie is a lost cause now......But I cannot believe that a certain someone sold their daughter there!!! LOL
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #457 on: May 31, 2010, 07:58:11 pm »

PS Phil......will upload that photo soon!!!! Micky taking to come soon !!!!!
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #458 on: May 31, 2010, 08:03:32 pm »

most men will sleep with.....
1 their wife.....
2 someone else's wife
3 a cuddly toy
4 a pet......
BUT STEAMBOAT PHIL sleeps with.............

a cooker lighter!!
full time penguin

andyn

« Reply #459 on: May 31, 2010, 08:14:26 pm »

{-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #460 on: May 31, 2010, 08:31:40 pm »

Andy, tank is great Thanks a lot and good luck in your new enterprise!
full time penguin

chingdevil

« Reply #461 on: May 31, 2010, 08:33:05 pm »

Another great Mayhem weekend, great to see so many people there and so many new faces, I am sure I did not speak to everyone but with so many there I think only Martin caould achieve that. I have finally put everything away and emptied the car, now need to earn some brownie points because of all the muddy washing :(( :((

The weather was not as great as last year but on par with other years, the reason for that was Mark and Angie "They be Jonah's they be" they could not come last year and we had a heat wave, this year glad to see them back but the weather!!!!

Seriously though it was great to see so many traders including new ones, let us hope that next year even more show up.

A very very big thanks to Martins wife Ruth who come rain shine or a marquee taking off tirelessly supplied everyone with tea and coffee. The lady also cooked a brilliant chillie con carne for the BBQ, absolutely outstanding.

Last but not least a big thanks to Martin and Bradders without who this fantastic show would have never started :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Brian

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #462 on: May 31, 2010, 09:08:16 pm »

It was the first time I stayed overnight and thoroughly enjoyed the whole weekend.
As others have said it was good to meet more and put faces to the nicknames.
I would also like to thank Martin and the organisers for all there hard work. Especially Martins family.
And there was rather a few nice pieces of cake consumed, yummy.

All in all well worth the travel and accommodation!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Guy Bagley

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #463 on: May 31, 2010, 10:01:20 pm »

excellent weekend..... dont quite know what happened to the weather, sun rain, gusty winds.... but still we sailed on!!!

big thanks to everyone who made it happen... to mrs mayhem for keeping me filled with coffee

and everyone else who chipped in to make it a great weekend- you know who you are

( plus big thanks to wide awake - top bloke- the daughter is still going on about your fruit salad) -

now about those most hiddeous shirts...they were loud !
all in all its just another brick in the wall......

wideawake

« Reply #464 on: May 31, 2010, 10:12:11 pm »

Most of what needs top be said has already been said but no harm in repeating some of it!   It was a great weekend in spite of the mixed weather.  I was a day visitor last year but stayed over this time.   I'm delighted that I did.   The company on Friday and Saturday night was excellent and the thoughtful provision of  a veggie BBQ much appreciated.    It was a pleasure to put some names to faeces (oops - FACES!) and to share thoughts with so many people.   My Colin Archer got her maiden voyage on the Sunday and thanks to SB Phil helping me out with some steam oil (I discovered too late that my bottle was in Sussex!) the  launch Fair Constance had a run before being nearly swamped in the heavy storm on Saturday.

A special word for FLJ and his broken finger and also to the owner of the other Colin Archer (Wicksteed member) who gave me a lot of useful ideas.

Finally it was a particular pleasure to meet "the other" Guy and his delightful family.   Please tell Imogen that I'll try to remember to bring fruit salad again if I make it to next year's weekend   :-)

So, many thanks to everyone who helped to make the w/e such a success in particular Martin and Bradders, without whom we wouldn't have Mayhem at all.

Here's to next year.

Cheers

Guy

PS I see "the other" Guy posted while I was writing!

Dueller

« Reply #465 on: May 31, 2010, 10:15:03 pm »

Many thanks to Martin and everyone that made myself (lee) and Wendy so welcome. Met some great people, Phil, Mark and Anje, especially as we had only just met and were welcomed to Phil's caravan for an after barbeque drink.

We had an eventfull pre Mayhem timescale. Friday night bought the lights for the trailer and an impulse buy of a new tent. Saturday, up at seven to fit the trailer lights and pack. M1 was three lanes of solid traffic so got off at the next exit to go via "the country". Just north of St Neots the trailer tyre blew off the rim (no spare) breakdown man arrived and took Wendy to buy a "Tyre", they came back with a complete wheel, rim and all. Eventually got to Wicksteed  :-), waited for a gap in the weather and got the new tent up in just 18 mins.
After that it all just got better and better.

In case anyone was looking at the pre built "sea pearl" 1 metre sail boat on special offer. I bought it.

Lee

fatcat123

« Reply #466 on: June 01, 2010, 08:57:08 am »

Hi all,

Really wanted to come to the show this year but didnt fancy the 360 mile round trip and the rain.

I do plan to come to next year (i assume there will be one), and plan to try and bring my models.

Question for Martin - Will you be putting a gallery of photos on the home page at some point?

Dan

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #467 on: June 01, 2010, 12:13:08 pm »

Yes I will be putting up a gallery Dan... as soon as aches and pains subside and I can stop yawning!

The mischievous weather made for a fun and exciting weekend  but the good old British blithe spirit shone through and we
 still had a great laugh!

Most memorable (and terrifying) moment of the weekend:
 The Mayhem marquee, (steel framed 3 x 9m tent) had Phil's big gas tea urn, full of boiling water for the tea & coffee.
 In close proximity to the urn were my son & daughter, Bradders daughter and a number of other people queuing for coffee.

A huge gust of wind then caught the tent, ripped out all the ground pegs, threw the tent against a tree and nearly flew off.
 Everybody rushed over and grabbed at tent, wondering just how hard we should hold on it in the wind but fortunately the wind
 subsided as quick as it picked up and all was suddenly still again.

I looked around in a panic waiting for the groan of injury, flash of leaking blood or the scream of ascolding water burn - but nothing!
 I looked at the girls, still stilling there in the midsts of off this. Their eyes wide open, "Ooo, errr!" my girl says, not realising what
 was really happening.
 Me (hanging on to a tent pole), "Are you just going to sit there?"
 Girls, "That was scary!"
 Me 'Please vacate the building. Walk calmly to the nearest fire exit.' ( I maybe paraphrasing what I actually said.. quite considerably! )

We then pulled the tent down and doubled the ground anchors.
 No deaths or injuries, thank goodness.
 Smashed up the PA amp and speakers quite a bit.
 A cup of coffee missed Stavro's very expensive camera by millimeters.
 And surprisingly the tent frame was still in one piece!

Someone in the coffee queue then said, as coolly-as-you-like, "Are there any biscuits to go with the coffee?"   >>:-(

Doug said the wind picked up because I had the mic in my hand and was threatening to do karaoke!   <*<

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #468 on: June 01, 2010, 12:37:32 pm »

Didn't damage the tree did it ????  %)

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #469 on: June 01, 2010, 02:07:01 pm »

Sounds like an interesting weekend - model boat fans will deal with anything! Glad everyone and their boats survived without major injuiries!

submate

« Reply #470 on: June 01, 2010, 05:22:28 pm »

Martin what a great day on Sunday, glad I missed Sat! It was a change to drive a sub in nice clear water for a change.

What about the turning circle of the French 1902 destroyer?

Thanks  :-))

Robert Davies

« Reply #471 on: June 01, 2010, 06:33:44 pm »

Someone in the coffee queue then said, as coolly-as-you-like, "Are there any biscuits to go with the coffee?"   >>:-(

Well? Where there?   {-)

I'll get my coat....

-Rob

ps No... it wasn't me... I wanted tea 8)

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #472 on: June 01, 2010, 06:39:59 pm »

The biscuits were there, but on the floor  - you just had to reassemble them - not too difficult for the average modeller  {-)
Don't Assume Check

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #473 on: June 01, 2010, 07:13:54 pm »

The biscuits were there, but on the floor  - you just had to reassemble them - not too difficult for the average modeller  {-)
Yep & the mud just added to the taste.
Hardy lot us hungry boaters, OR maybe not.
Martin if you need any help in shorting out the PA that got broke give me a call. As I run my own PA rig it should not be to hard to fix it up.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #474 on: June 01, 2010, 07:47:58 pm »

Thanks Bill. One of the speakers had the bottom ripped out but that's a woodwork job that Bradders wants to do.
We haven't tested the amp yet but it seems to be in one piece.
Do you have access to PA horns for next year Bill?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.