Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: towing hull  (Read 7703 times)

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
towing hull
« on: December 08, 2006, 03:12:45 pm »

hi has anyone out there any plans /drawings to build a tow about 6ft in two/three sections.
was thinking of making a plug from wood for the bow and stern and filling the rest with ply and covering with glass fibre .
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
Re: towing hull
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 05:31:31 pm »

I built two barges 32 inches long x 14 inches wide, these stack in the car and can be joined at the lake to make one long tow. I tow them with my MMM Nangee and Anglian Mam (When it is completed).
Pics at this link
 http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1689.msg15841#msg15841
When I built the second one i did contemplate cutting a barge in half, fitting bulkheads and then making a square box to fit in the middle, just to keep it a managable size.
Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 11:03:27 am »

...Hi Guys...

I built mine from a sheet of Plywood bought at B&Q... I got it pre-cut Lengthways to 2 cuts at 15"  & 3 cuts at 6"... This uses up the whole 48" of the sheet...
This way you are left with very little wastage from the sheet...You then get them  cut to 48" Long,(easier to carry in the car)...The 15" cuts are the top &  bottom... The 6" cuts are the sides & ends...
A bundle of old framing timber for the framework & away you go....Here is a picture of them before painting...I have more pictures of them if required...
The towing variations of them are endless...I use 2 or 3 Litre Coke Bottles filled with water as ballast...You just take the bottles out & empty them if you want to transport them around...

These are 1/24 scale models of the 100 x 30 Barges that We used to tow around the Clyde...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 04:45:31 pm »

thanks guy's gives me a couple of ideas to go on .Andy i also have a crane which would like to put on the barge this is the reason for the size mentioned .
the crane is rc opperated and has a 10"track and with the jib up it stand's about 36" fully working indipendant tracks,slew,raise and lower jib and bucket which also opens and closes.i also have a nangee (unbuilt)and propose to use this to push/pull the barges around.
Norry i will also have a look into building using ply .Do you guys have any plans of your barges i could look at .

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 04:04:34 pm »

any chance of a photo of the working crane you are going to use and where you got it???

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 07:37:11 pm »

...Hi Guys...

I,ve got a big working crane as well...It is made by HOBBY...Only thing wrong it is 1/12 scale...A bit too big...

If you go on E-Bay & type in crawler crane you should see a few of them...Graupner sell it as well...There are at least 2 of them currently on E-Bay...Here is a piccy of one of them...

I also have an old Marx tin crane that i plan to motorize one day...This one is a better size to match my tugs & barges...
           ...Regards...Norry...

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 08:12:51 pm »

I just cut out the deck, joined sides and ends to it using 12mm x 12mm square section, to keep everything square, it was all done by eye, about 2 hours work to construct with out painting The bollards were dowling, drill hoes in the deck and glue the dowelling, cut to size after tapping in to the holes. I do take more care over building boats!!!

Maybe this is an idea for a tug towing contest, turn up at event with some plywood, glue and tools, knock a tow together and run the towing course, would be interesting to say the least!!!!
 First to complete course wins
Andy

J.beazley

• Full Mayhemer
  • The building never ends
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 08:25:51 pm »

would be just like Scrapheap challenge on TV Andy.

first to finish the build does the challenge and the fastest time around the course overall wins. ;D

Jay
1:48th scale for my ships. Large enough to show gratuitous detail, small enough to stay married.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 09:27:50 pm »

No sinking allowed!!!

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 12:07:58 am »

Hey Norry you beat me to it ,you got the same crane as me although i have made a few alterations namely cutting out the plastic at the base of the jib to allow it to lower more in preparation for rolling onto a platform/barge .I picked mine up at our local shop center(Goole Model Center),Hobby also do a 360 on tracks  and a dump truck and prob a few more

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 12:52:01 am »

...Hi Guys...

I am going to put longer strings on mine so that i can lift things off the pond bottom as our pond is only 15" deep & very clear...

I was thinking of a competition where you have to tow out & position the barge...Hold it in position whilst the third member of the team then operates the crane to lift the objects off the pond bottom...Golf balls with scores written on them is one idea...The team who gets most points wins...
Just a bit of fun for the summer...Might need to wait until 2008 coz the summer this year is a Friday & we will all be at work...

Glyn Cleaver

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 11:12:14 am »

I had a good laugh at your reply Norry, I think its a good idea as well. You will need to come down South though as we get a full week of Sunshine per year.
Thanks for a laugh.
Glyn  ;D

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2006, 10:07:56 pm »

we could fit DP, (dynamic positioning), keps every thing hovering in one position tidiy!!!
Andy

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 03:16:41 pm »

nice one Norry when you decide to do it can you let me know how you get on as i couldn't get the top off ,must be a hidden screw . not sure about picking up golf balls mine seamed to struggle with even the lightest rocks  and i hope your going to use flureccent balls ,just think of the sediment disturbed with all that grabbing ha ha  :o
Andy DP that sounds technical  ???

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 07:48:40 pm »

...Hi Guys...

Our pond at Largs is Crystal Clear & No problems with sediment in the Summer...(He says in a snooty voice)...

An alternative is to place ping pong balls on obstacles in the pond & collect them if real golf balls are too heavy...The alternatives are endless...All i need is about a year of free time to carry out the list of unpaid work i have at the moment...(He says in a not so snooty voice)...

You will all have to come to our "Tug In" on June 17th next year to see what i mean...We will even throw in the best scenery surroundiong a model boat pond in the United Kingdom...

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2006, 08:02:15 pm »

...Hi Guys...

...We will even throw in the best scenery surroundiong a model boat pond in the United Kingdom...

Hi Norry

Well !!! - it sure is nice round your way - but can you beat this for a scenic model boating pond ?  ;)  We sail from the grassy area (with a car park and slipway) on the left of the lake halfway up the photo and often  cruise in company along the lake and up the creek shown at the bottom of the photo as well as the other way for quite some distance.

norry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 09:25:46 pm »

... Hi Guys...

I thought that last statement might stir up a patriotic  response or two...

A very nice sailing venue indeed ... Where is it ?...

At Largs the pond is about 50 metres from the shore of the Clyde...As we are sailing our models in the pond, The real boats are sailing up & down the Firth Of Clyde Behind us...

It is my ambition for next year to have a model bulker in the pond with 3 or 4 model tugs assisting the berthing  as a real bulker & tugs passes by on the Clyde behind us on its way into Hunterston Ore Terminal...Then get the camera out for some double takes...

I will try to get a picture of our pond & post it to show you...

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 07:07:30 am »

come on lad's ,not wanting to blow my own trumpet but, we must have one of the best for background our pond at Goole is smack bang in the middle of the docks with everything from pleasure boats,narrow boats,barges,tugs,coasters,tankers and container vessils including the last remaining coal hoist in the country/world ? on the site .
god i love our pond

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 09:41:29 am »

Hi Norry

Its Llanberis in North Wales. If the camera panned round to the left 90 degrees it would be looking straight at Snowdon.  On the photo there is a green area on the right hand side of the lake. That is right opposite our slipway and where Stavros' boat sank  >:( (See thread " Sunk without a trace") Shows how far it drifted before sinking !

We were anchored for the night a few years ago right across from Largs, in the shelter of Great Cumbrae Island, when we sailed up to, and around, the Clyde for a few weeks.   Beautiful area.

Don B.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2006, 09:42:28 am »

Welsh Druid

Your making me homesick.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

towboatjoe

• Full Mayhemer
  • Rollin' on the River
    • Towboat Joe
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2007, 02:30:42 am »

One thing to remember with cranes on barges is to lash them down. Even the real ones are lashed to the deck with rachets. On models especially, a boom extended too far and a large wake will make the crane take a deep six.

Here's a photo showing how a crane is lashed down and some common crane flats.

funtimefrankie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Birkdale, Lancashire. twixt the Mersey & the Ribble
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2007, 08:55:57 am »

Back to the original subject, You could make the barge so it could be filled with water to make a test tank, for ballasting a new model.
Easier to see the water line than in the bath.

Red_Hamish

• Full Mayhemer
  • Have a wee dram and enjoy life
    • Edinburgh Model Boat Club
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 06:15:50 pm »

Hello all, TowboatJoe, thanks for the inspirational photos. Norry, liked your idea for constructing the barges, much neater than mine. Also a diary date already for the summer, that being said we are possibly moving a couple of weeks later. That being the case there's no way i'll get a day pass to visit your beautiful pond.

Cheers

Jim
Visit www.paddleducks.co.uk & www.edinburghmodelboatclub.org.uk for all your model boating needs!
See what life is all about www.visitshetland.com/sumburgh-airport-live-video This is the pace of life that the doctors prescribe, so laid back that you
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.