Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steamco- STC-03- Linda Marie  (Read 8130 times)

kusuchi

Steamco- STC-03- Linda Marie
« on: January 04, 2010, 01:07:33 am »

This launch was made by the Australian company - Steamco.   They originally manufactured four steam engines, the STC-01 Stationary, the STC-02 Marine Engine, the STC-03 Linda Marie Steam Launch and the STC-04 Stationary Overtype.   The 02 and 03 have been discontinued for many years.   I was therefore fortunate to acquire the STC-03 launch recently in such good condition.   It contains the STC-02 steam plant.

I now own all of their models.

One of the questions I have concerns fitting the the rudder control servo.  Having provided a beautifully detailed access hatch in the stern, below deck the rudder stem is completely enclosed in pipe.    This extends below the waterline to the top of the rudder.  How does one attach a servo?

I could, of course retrofit a Bowden Cable system to the Tiller, as in Der Seekadett, but this would involve damaging the original finish.

Here are their Instructions:

Am I being stupid or does anyone understand what they are saying?  :o

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Steamco- STC-03- Linda Marie
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 02:13:32 am »

Supprising they did not call it Clair after the boat they coppied..

Peter

kusuchi

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 03:32:50 am »

Hi Peter,

Recently came across, by chance, your You Tube video commemorating the work of Peter Baylis.

Great to see footage of Topaz and Der Seekadett sailing together.  Peter seems to have the same instability problems associated with the large rudder that Andrew experienced with ours at first.

Didn't realize it initially, but the launch he is working on is none other than Vigilant!   Great Video! :-)

Yes, Linda Marie does have certain similarities with Claire.  Although no Der Seekadett, I was nevertheless, impressed with the quality of this commercially manufactured model. 

Although I'm constantly astounded by the wonderful models on this forum, it does seem a shame that, other than those of the cognoscenti, most new posts are frequently met with nothing but a barrage of criticism.

mogogear

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:40:38 am »

Seems to me that the style is just a typical steam launch "TYPE" many are around under various moulding companes and individuals alike- Steamco is a steam engine company- just using a small little boat to show case their engine...

Geeze Peter- is that all you have to offer...?

Nice little boat Richard....congrats...

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 03:55:54 am »

The vidio as you will be aware is of peter Baylis building the first vigilant I watched it at shows over a few years changing to what it is now.

your boat is very nice,and proberley better than the cheddar boat for finnish,  my critusm is off the company's who have copied most of the cheddar range and said they are there design, I have not seen on original item from them and they all seem to be in the same hemesfere hear is a  example

http://www.miniaturesteammodels.com/prod56.htm

Peter

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 03:58:25 am »

Seems to me that the style is just a typical steam launch "TYPE" many are around under various moulding companes and individuals alike- Steamco is a steam engine company- just using a small little boat to show case their engine...

Geeze Peter- is that all you have to offer...?

Nice little boat Richard....congrats...

Are you referring to me  ?

Peter

Underpressure

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 09:38:17 am »

They are pretty similar looking models.

On the matter of the rudder: Does the rudder tube run right through the deck to the tiller arm?

I guess you could cut the tube below the deck, deep enough to allow a rudder arm to be installed and leaving a section of tube in the deck to act as a bush / bearing.

Neil

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 09:47:36 am »

Yes as Neil has just said the tiller must be held at the top for fitting/removal so if it was slid down a bit a new arm could be fitted below deck and then re instated so it would look the same above deck but with an arm for a servo below.

peter

kusuchi

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 03:34:30 am »

They are pretty similar looking models.

On the matter of the rudder: Does the rudder tube run right through the deck to the tiller arm?

I guess you could cut the tube below the deck, deep enough to allow a rudder arm to be installed and leaving a section of tube in the deck to act as a bush / bearing.

Neil

Thanks Neil and Peter for your advice.

The rudder tube runs from the top of the rudder, about 1" below the hull, to end flush with the deck immediately below the tiller.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are suggesting I cut a small section out of the tube, (obviously above the waterline), to attach the servo arm.  Right?

kusuchi

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 04:35:15 am »

Are you referring to me  ?

Peter

With respect, Peter, your first post did seem somewhat abrupt.  It was not until your second post that your point became clear.  

The Linda Marie is a single cylinder, 24" steam launch, powered by an Esbit fueled horizontal boiler.  The comparison you posted with the 36" Cheddar 'Claire', usually powered by the gas fired vertical boiler of the Pintail plant, did seem a little obtuse at first.  Mo, I believe, was only wishing to compliment me on my acquisition, in the face of what he then perceived as unwarranted criticism.  I can only thank him for rushing to support a friend, even if first impressions may have been misleading.

I can certainly see your point when it comes to the MSM 5009, however! :o

Cheddar's fine production line has spawned many loyal enthusiasts.  But the world of steam has always been eclectic.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the MHB PB2 the inspiration for Gemini? And Stuart now reproduce a pitiful selection of the original Cheddar production line.

Likewise in the world of Toy Steam.  Joseph Falk started out as an employee of Carette, and started his own business around 1895. His move into toy steam came with the purchase of Schoenner around 1910.   Some of the Schoenner line was unchanged by Falk, (steam boats a good example), while other steam engines seem to have been 'upgraded'.  Joseph Falk sold his business to the Schaller brothers (Ernst Plank) before 1935.  Similarly, Doll was taken over by Fleischmann.

Inter connectivity is seemingly abundant in the world of steam, and although the 5009 is a blatant example of copying, sometimes the lines can be hard to discern. :-)

Underpressure

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 07:16:15 am »

although the 5009 is a blatant example of copying, sometimes the lines can be hard to discern

Not according to the manufacturer, who claim they had several steam experts work on the design. That said plagiarism is pretty common in steam engine designs, after all the 'latest' ideas are probably well over 100 year old  :-)

For me the most important thing is suitability for the task and the Cheddar engines were / are so good in that respect, as they are simple, tough and made from good materials. Anyway, that is a whole other subject.

Back to the question: Yes, if it is physically possible, I am suggesting removing a short section of rudder tube, just below the deck, to allow you to install a rudder arm. It is that or some sort of cable arrangement, above deck, to operate the tiller.

Neil

ROSYTH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam glorious Steam..
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 03:03:05 pm »

Hi Peter would you post a link to the video please of P Bayliss.

Thanks
R

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 03:33:24 pm »

Hi Peter would you post a link to the video please of P Bayliss.

Thanks
R

this one ?

http://www.youtube.com/user/onehs93#p/a/u/0/AHebGOoD-gg

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.