Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Slipway's Trent lifeboat (1\16 scale)  (Read 3456 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Model Slipway's Trent lifeboat (1\16 scale)
« on: December 09, 2006, 12:17:28 am »

One of the future projects Im considering is the Slipway Trent (I like the larger scale!). However, Im a little concerned over the construction of the stern railings. My current build, the Drumbeat model is 1\24th and the railings are basically brass rod of an easily bendable diameter. By comparison, the stern rails on the Trent look much thicker.

This being the case, I'd assume the brass rod(?) is a thicker diameter than used on Drumbeat which would make it not so easy to bend and make up the whole stern rails. Im not a fan of cutting each individual rail then soldering each one to the stanchions either!

Anyone built an MS Trent and care to give a few comments on how to make up the stern rails, how easy were they to do etc, etc?

FullLeatherJacket

Re: Model Slipway's Trent lifeboat (1\16 scale)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 09:05:59 am »

The stern rails on the Trent are 1/8 inch dia alloy rod, which is easier to file and bend than brass or tube. It is assembled with superglue. Because of the way the real rails are formed there's no easy way of reducing the number of individual pieces which make them up, but it's not as difficult as you might think. If you prefer to use brass rod then there's nowt to say you can't; as long as it comes out right-ish then who cares? Slipway's website includes reference to a review of the kit in MMI.

tubby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 02:10:01 pm »

When I built my trent I used the alloy rail bars that were enclosed with the kit, I did not think that the superglued joints would be substantial enough so I made a jig to drill the end of the bars and a hole through the side of the rails enabling me to pin the joints togeather using brass rod, It's now a well used boat and no problems with the joints

Barry

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 09:37:24 pm »

Thanks for this info folks. Interesting to note the rails are alloy and not brass rod.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.