Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another about paint.  (Read 2574 times)

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
Another about paint.
« on: December 09, 2006, 04:39:50 pm »

Dropped into the place where I've bought enamel paint for who-knows-how-long, made several selections of my favorite brand (band of color around top of can), paid for the stuff and went home.  Found a warm spot, opened can, mixed paint, got brush, applied to what I wanted to paint.  (everything going nicely)  Finished with that color for the time being, capped the can, dropped brush into container of paint thinner.  ...  What's this?  No cloud of paint?  It isn't comming out of the brush?  Swished it around vigorously.  No paint cloud, this stuff ain't comming off the brush!  Re-newed thinner, gets 'old' sometimes, you know.  Same.  No cloudy thinner, this stuff isn't being disolved by paint thinner!  Maybe it's too cold?  @#$$ no, it comes off on my fingers!  Read label on paint can...  What the @#$$ is "Latex-enamel"?  Mix of latex paint and enamel paint?  Who'z brilliant idea is this @#$&?  Try cleaning with water.  Cloudy water, paint's comming off.  Read label again, yep, same brand I've always gotten.  Go back to store, ask what this @#$& is.  They said, "Oh, it's just enamel paint, works just like any enamel paint, good stuff!".  Yeah... right.  (If 'looks' could kill, salesman would be very, very sick shortly.)  Came home, began brooding.
So, what's with this 'latex-enamel' paint?  Anyone ever used it before?  Checked several places, the only real enamel paint I can find you have to buy by the gallon.  Smaller containers available, but you do NOT want to know the price!  That means I'm gonna have to learn how to use this stuff, doesn't it?  Oh @#!$, what'll it do to an airbrush??
I'm so @#$ thrilled I could just... no I can't, I'd have to bathe and chjange my clothes...
 - 'Doc

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Another about paint.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 07:30:51 pm »

Doc

Are you saying this stuff is water soluble? What's the finish like?

I think your latex paint is what we (UK) call emulsion, although I'm not sure. I first came across a reference to it in a book on model railway scenery about 25 years ago. That was about a water based method andacrylic base was mentioned with regard to latex paint. Using acrylic paint I find I need a damp, synthetic bristle brush. Whereas enamel can use a natural hair brush. Also enamel and water just don't mix! Thus if latex paint is water based and enamel is mineral based how do they mix the two?

Best of luck.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 11:57:33 pm »

Doug,
It doesn't appear to be water soluble after drying (haven't, and am afraid to try it).  As for how it's mixed?  I think the 'enamel' name is one of those advertising thingys, 'license', in other words pure horse-hocky but they get away with it.  The finish, so far, isn't 'bad'.  It's more of an acrylic type of finish if that makes sense?  It's taken several coats to fully cover metal parts, otherwise the metal sort of 'shows' through.  It isn't what I'm used to using so will definitely take some 'learning' to use it properly.
Just when I figure out how to use something, they go and change it!
 - 'Doc

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 05:58:24 pm »

Doc

I think I confused you (I'm an expert at that  :D ). When I said water soluble I meant when cleaning your brushes. I would expect it to be water resistant when dry as acrylic is, but then maybe nothing can be taken for granted.  :( What does it say on the tin?

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 06:44:34 pm »

Hope this is not emulsion paint as we know it because if you use it on ferrous metal  it will start oxidization of the metal as it dries
[it will start rusting] :(

Richard :)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 08:15:11 pm »

Richard

I am making a big assumption here based on the comments in the book, "How to build realistic Model Railroad Scenery" by Dave Frary (an american publication) in which he talks about latex paint being used for domestic decoration. I'm assuming it's emulsion by another name but who knows? He aslo says it has an acrylic base andis water soluble when wet.

So if someone knows or can give another educated guess please shout.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 09:52:45 am »

Doug

You could be right.

Acrylic is fine [ use it myself all the time ] but should not be used on bare ferrous metal.

As you say it does sound like emulsion.

Personally if I wasn't sure what it was I don't think I would use it. :-\

Richard :)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 11:54:26 am »

They have also introduced it over here as well, it is plastic paint that dries glossy it is that simple, the main problem with it is that it takes more coats to cover therefore you need more paint, it is cheap to make and they sell it for about the same price, in other words it is like most things it has evolved to this type of mix....

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.