Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell Corvette.  (Read 4293 times)

miarkaf

• Shipmate
Revell Corvette.
« on: September 02, 2011, 10:04:13 am »

Having at last tracked down a shop with the Revell Corvette kit in stock, (four actually), I would like to try and convert it for RC use, as many others seem to have done.

As a newbie to this type of work, I was hoping there would be somewhere on this fine Forum a detailed build log and "How to" converting the boat from a static kit to R/C.
After searching all I can find is threads with the photos missing and a lot of discussion on painting and detailing,(all very interesting and useful), but no complete detail builds...

Has there been one done?....If so can someone please point me in the right direction.

Regards

Alan

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Revell Corvette.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 10:34:35 am »

Alan,
Once the hull is glued together, (I strengthened mine with an additional strip of plastic on the inside to cover all the joints), it is the same as any other RC boat of the same size.
Is there anything in particular you want to know right now?

Bob
Officially a GOG.

miarkaf

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 10:51:22 am »

Thanks Bob......It really is the type of motor, etc required and placement in the hull. Also there doesn't seem a great deal of room for steering servo, at least access wise, andI wondered how people have tackled this aspect...apart from that I just love reading detailed step by step progress threads....There is something about watching a boat take shape from a pile of bits... :-)

Regards

Alan

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 11:34:03 am »

This is what is in my Revell corvette in the way of running gear.

Deans Marine Kyte motor
6" prop shaft with oil filler
3 bladed brass prop
Marine 5 speed controller
6v 5amp SLA battery which also acts as ballast
Universal prop shaft coupling
Existing kit rudder bonded to smaller rudder with resin
Futaba 2 channel radio.

Runs 3-4 hours at slightly over scale speed.

Link to build:   http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1272.0

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1878.0

Hope this is helpful. If you need any help just shout.

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 12:15:57 pm »

Motor - a 385 or similar run on about half its rated voltage, direct drive. 
Prop, 35mm plastic, or use the one from the kit if you figure a good way to mount it.  Paint it with Humbrol metallic brass with a smideon of green and white mixed in, let the people ask where you got your brass prop from until the paint starts to wear off.
Shaft about 6-8 inches.  That decides where the motor is going when the coupler is taken into account. 
A 6volt 4AH SLA will sit forward of the motor, under the forward superstructure/deck.
I did my superstructure in two parts which meant modifying the rigging a bit - a friend doing his has joined the two halves with a strip of ply, probably a much better idea. 
Fit a nice high coaming around the hole in the after deck to locate the superstructure, place some styrene sheet as a false deck to give the electronics somewhere to live.  The only tricky bit was drilling out the hole for the shaft without damaging the outside of the hull in that area.  A very sharp drill, a workmate and lots of patience are required.
I didn't use extra plastic over the hull join, and there has never been a problem with the join.  Having said that, with the inevitable knocks over its ten + years of use and (mis)handling it started showing sings of internal water this year.  After much fiddling with the prop shaft and rudder mount, it was noted that there seemed to be a few hairline fractures in what should be the bilges in the area of the battery (heavy lump) and the motor mount.  These areas were given a coating of Evo Stick PVC Pipe Weld, well rubbed in and subsequently well ventilated.  Crossed fingers, this seems to have worked, since the last few calm weather sailings have shown a dry hull inside.
My steering servo was mounted upright on top of the prop shaft under the rearmost part of the aft superstructure - bags of room.   You could also make a box for it to lie in under the deck at one side or the other.  These things really do not need fixing like model aircraft items, a deep enough box to stop them hopping out unbidden and prevent movement against the forces that they create is enough, unless the intention is to invert it and give it a good shake on a regular basis.
An alternative for batteries is to get 2 of 3 or four cell sticks of D size cells and place them each side of the motor, wired in series.  They can be easily positioned for fore and aft trim.
Access is needed through the stern deck to get at the rudder linkage.  As the rudder is in line with the prop shaft, and this will need servicing once in a while, you have to be able to remove the rudder to easily withdraw the shaft.
The total weight needs to be about 6.5 pounds, as much as possible as low in the hull as possible, the suggestions above leave leeway for about a pound of trimming ballast, or extra features, like a speaker with a decent magnet for a sound system.
Currently my motor (an ex-ford fiesta window winder) is suspended from a beam fitted at deck level using cord.  Its the best aligned and quietest arrangement that I've ever managed in it, and it had its 11th birthday this year.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 01:02:34 pm »

JUST FOUND SOME OF MY MISSING PHOTOS

Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

miarkaf

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 03:55:37 pm »

Thank you all so much for all the trouble you've gone to. I think things are a lot clearer now and the photographs explain a lot.

Many thanks for your help.

Alan

Kangaroo1

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 07:46:04 pm »

Hi alan,

Can you tell me where you found these kits? I have been looking for days to find one, but have been unsuccessful and wouldlike to order one.

Thanks,
Steve.

miarkaf

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 11:50:02 am »

Sorry Steve.... I'm afraid I missed your post. My apologise.

I bought my kit from Transport Models (http://www.transportmodels.co.uk/index.php).

After they sent me mine they had three others in stock.

Regards

Alan

JB

• Full Mayhemer
  • Resting in Drydock.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 12:32:33 pm »

I missed this one too, sorry, Transport models is near me and I didn't see any last time I was in there 2 weeks ago, Dave13 on the forum had a kit for sale recently, its still on the sales board, might be worth asking if he still has it...

JB.
XJ6 - Powered by Jaguar   JB - Powered by Model Boat Mayhem - Currently On sabattical (forced-unpaid!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.281 seconds with 23 queries.