Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Velox - 1904  (Read 19373 times)

marmoi

HMS Velox - 1904
« on: January 05, 2010, 03:25:35 pm »

I have been working on a slightly smaller, but non the less challenging model as the G3 is a bit big to work outside on during the winter months.

The new model is a prototype for a new kit and is being developed as such.

The HMS Velox in question is the 1904 Torpedo boat destroyer as shown in the picture below. Plans are available and come free with every copy of "The First Destroyers", published by Chatham.

marmoi

Re: HMS Velox - 1904
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 03:26:56 pm »

Weight is going to be paramount on this model as I want to build it correct with four motors and we calculated that the maximum displacement is 550 grammes. So being a sucker for punishment I thought that tho help me control the model I would also use two speed controllers. To counter the weight of the motors and dual speed controllers I will use a LiPo battery.

The running gear is made from Brass and the shafts are Marine Grade Stainless (316L).

marmoi

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 03:28:29 pm »

I have also saved space by using the transmitters on-board mixer. Conventional steering is via a 5g micro servo. Bow and stern have model foam blocks fitted for emergencies and as can be seen in the picture below, balsa was used as the main deck support.

The battery is now fixed in position in a Balsa tray as it is a light material and adds some more buoyancy if needed.

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 10:10:23 am »

If the scale is 1/96 , I do a complete kit of fittings for this  vessel if you are interested www.johnrhaynes.com

marmoi

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 06:59:08 pm »

Hi John,

I think I have most of the fittings I need now thank you, and the larger pieces I am either going to use resin or plasticard. The main superstructure I am planning on using fine PE. It's going to be a challenge to keep the weight down on this model.

Mark

logoman

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 09:23:16 pm »

I love torpedo destroyers, I'm watching this thread with great interest.

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 09:24:44 pm »

Ive had the book for many years, often thought about it......... but at a much bigger scale to make it more interesting/ less of a battle.
in my own little world

marmoi

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 06:50:43 am »

Hi Rob,

The larger scale has been done before, I have been waiting for the electronics to catch up so I could do this boat and add it to my pre WW1 fleet.

I promise you I don't leave any detail off on my models and have spent many hours pouring over the drawings to make sure everything is accounted for.  :-))

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 02:44:23 pm »

No disrespect meant Marmoi.... meant as a comment on my thick fingers !
in my own little world

marmoi

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 04:33:33 pm »

Non taken Rob  :-)

Mark

Geoff

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 02:07:59 pm »

Curiously I am also building a model of Velox but to nominally 1/48 scale plus a bit. The reson for plus a bit is that I am installing a steam engine and just needed greter depth for the boiler and length for the engine room to ensure appropriate stability given the unavoidable high center of gravity of the boiler and engine.

The boiler is a mk2 Cheddar moldels puffing unit (Sadly Cheddar are no longer trading) with my own designed and built in line double actin twin oscilator. I am driving only two shafts as I have no real idea of the power development from the engine and this is a more efficient solutionm than 4 shafts due to frictional losses and propellor efficiencies.

My 1/96 scale Victorian Battleship Canopus is powered by a Cheddar models Puffin and weighs in at about 35 pounds in all. Top speed is perfectly scale and if I let the bolier pressure build to about 40 psi it tears along with a magnificent wake. The engine I have built is nomilaly the same kind of size as a Puffin unit so I am optimistic I will have the same power, but in a lighter, if longer hull so top speed should be adequate, who knows! This is the fun of building something different!

To date I have completed the hull and engine/boiler installation and was mid way working on the fittings, all brass, when I got divorced so until I can get myself set up again progress has ground to a halt. I'm nearly set up again so should shortly be able to make some more progress.

In practice I cannot claim mine to be an exact model of Velox due to the chages I have made to accomodate the power plant but it will be representative of the type of turttle back 27 knotters of the period, and of course I'll finish her in Victorian colours.

Good luck with your model

Geoff

victorian

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 02:56:13 pm »

Geoff - any chance of a pic of Canopus under way please?

marmoi

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 07:42:39 pm »

Work has been continuing on the Velox, although the Brass etching had to stop for a while as Microsoft sent and update that took out my laptop   <*<. Now that they have given me a hotfix to get it going again I will get back to that job.

However I have been working on the central detail as you can see in the pictures below.

The large black construction in the centre is the officers WC, this is made from plasti card then covered in tissue paper to give the canvas effect.

Mark

Geoff

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 01:43:00 pm »

I am a ludite when it comes to computers, my home PC has crashed and until my daughter can fix it I can't do much. As regards photos of Canopus, there are some on another web site (unfortunatley not at full speed but the gun fire is good!) www.warship modelsunderway.com   Go to "Gallery" and 29.

Enjoy

Geoff

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 02:18:37 pm »

Looking excellent good so far!  :-)) I'll definitely be following this thread with great interest, as I scratchbuilt a 1/96 static model of Velox a few years ago (http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/dd/hms/velox-96-ep/ep-index.html). Is your model to the same scale? (I'm guessing so since you mention that weight is an issue)

Your design for the PE bridge + gun platforms looks seriously impressive - the hull also looks very good, how did you build it? Vacformed styrene over a mould?

marmoi

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 06:48:55 pm »

Yes the scale is 1/96th, so everything is nice and fiddly  >>:-(. I like the model you made and the detailing will help me interpret a few areas on the drawings that were unclear. :-))

The PE is coming along slowly, starting to layout the sheet now.

The hull is a new fibre glass moulding from Deans Marine (new in the fact that I got my mits on the first out of the mould), and hopefully it will be turned into a kit at a later date.The moulding has been done as light as possible to give me the chance of motorising it and not turn it into a torpedo  {-)

Mark

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2010, 11:21:12 am »

Deans Marine hull and later kit is from me . Modellers  interested in 1/96 parts can get them from me , the original source.

marmoi

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 11:59:52 am »

Right, been a bit quite recently as work has been busy, but I have finally got the etchings together. I flat patterned my CAD work and put it together in a frame. Early pic of frame work below;

marmoi

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 12:04:47 pm »

With the final frame layout done, I first created the Solid section of the etch;

Then the half etch (Red) and tags (Blue);

This combined on three layers gave me the final artwork;

I am now waiting for the etch to arrive  :D

victorian

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 01:53:12 pm »

Which etcher are you using and can you give some idea of the price? The ones I've approached want to make 17" x 12" or so minimum size for £200+ !

marmoi

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 03:18:08 pm »

I am using PPD

http://www.ppdltd.com/web_site_3/page_1_intro.html

2 x A5 etchings including artwork £48.18 Del. 4-5 days

Very helpful people

victorian

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 09:20:57 pm »

Excellent! Thanks very much.

marmoi

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2010, 11:57:45 am »

Photo etchings are here! Now to put theory into practice  %%

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2010, 08:38:53 pm »

Those etchings certainly look good - looking forward to seeing them on the model. Are the oval objects the frames of the collapsible boats?

I'm thinking of building a (static waterline) 1/96 model of HMS Havock - the first TBD - in the near future, its' a relatively small + simple subject (more so than Velox) for which I've got excellent reference material, so I might actually be able to build + finish it in a reasonable time frame, unlike some of my previous scratchbuilds.

marmoi

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2010, 08:45:06 pm »

Yes, that is correct they are half of the collapsable boats, the keel and canvas sections are the three rectangular parts on the top Right of the etch. These will be folded in half and the oval sections folded and placed on top.

I must admit I don't think I will go much smaller with a working model as things are getting a bit scary in anything more than a gentle breeze.

Mark
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.