Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: R.N.L.I Severn scratch build  (Read 102669 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: R.N.L.I Severn scratch build
« Reply #125 on: March 26, 2010, 09:54:22 am »

Looks  :-))
Blood adds to the model makes it feel like you have put more into it  :}

Thanks Mat.

Thought I wouldn't show the sweat as it's not right.    %)

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2010, 10:28:24 am »

Sorry all.....from OZ..... {-) it looks like Ken was measuring out the brass tube with  RED   texta........ & got a bit on the back of his hand ............. O0 {-) %% ;) ;D ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2010, 04:21:54 pm »

The perils of home builds, eh, Derek.    :D

Did a bit more welding today and finished off the mast area. Also done was the section leading to the bow railings. The parts are not secured down yet and it's undecided whether to fix them in before painting or not. 

I'm using the 5mm tube from the big superstore as it's cheaper than the short lengths locally.  Unfortunately I had to go out in the rain and drive over to get some more, as this project is just eating up the stuff.  There's another £30 of brass gone.

Ken

me3

« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2010, 05:23:36 pm »

hi ken
your build is incredibly impressive
all i can do is look up to you!!!!
i made a robbe najade. i fixed the handrails before painting  the boat and the rails. it was an absolute nightmare to get the paint, for the boat, past the rails.
regards  Reece

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2010, 07:34:39 pm »

Thank you Reece, I agree with you about the painting. It's probably best to leave the deck uncluttered.

My concern was the fixing (strongly) to a painted surface. I shall probably revert to fixing holes being drilled into the painted deck. This will give a good mechanical bond to the rails.

Cheers

Ken

me3

« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2010, 07:43:53 pm »

That sounds good Ken. Another idea is you could drill the holes and then paint the model and the rails and glue them from the inside. (if you can get to the rails from the inside, which i doubt you can!!) :-)
Reece

Brian Roberts

« Reply #131 on: March 26, 2010, 08:50:14 pm »

Hi Ken

Sorry to butt in but the rails on the Severn are fixed to a T section kick board, not directly into the deck. Pity to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar...................and all that!

Regards

Brian

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #132 on: March 26, 2010, 09:50:51 pm »

Hi Ken

Sorry to butt in but the rails on the Severn are fixed to a T section kick board, not directly into the deck. Pity to spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar...................and all that!

Regards

Brian

Only the side rails Brian, The front pulpit rails are fixed into sockets on the deck.
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Brian Roberts

« Reply #133 on: March 26, 2010, 11:45:48 pm »

Sorry Ken, thought you were referring to the side and transom rails.

Brian

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: March 27, 2010, 10:58:24 am »

Thank you for all your thoughts.  It is only the pulpit I was referring to as well as the ones on the flying bridge. Going to have a go on these today.

Can I ask some question please.  Are the side deck rail tops made of flexible wire ?

How are the  kick boards attached to the deck, as the leverage of the attached stanchions will be excessive ?

Ken

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #135 on: March 27, 2010, 11:06:02 am »

brass washers soft soldered at the deck level make good flanges and if you use a small round file you can elongate them for on an angle, that way you set the hight from the deck and you can paint off the boat and fit at the end the washers hide the glue line.

Peter

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2010, 11:18:00 am »

Brilliant.    :-))   I'd seen the washers at the bottom of the rails and will be fitting them. They will cover the holes on the deck along with the glue underneath.

ps, where do you get the washers ?

Cheers

Ken

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2010, 12:36:02 pm »

hear are a few, I normally pick them up at shows, but from the people below

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_BA_Washers_in_packs_of_25_301.html

http://shop.maidstone-engineering.co.uk/?mod=cat&cat_id=2&order=1

http://www.pollymodelengineering.co.uk/sections/bruce-engineering/materials.asp   download free catalog.

https://www.maccmodels.co.uk/

I normally build on a template of ply but the deck is ok set the hight use a bit of bakers fluid and a very small torch as, you have to be carfull if you use an iron as they tend to move, I have found a small fine flame works great dont forget to put a few metal bulldog clips on the solder joint at the top to stop them getting soft if you overdo it a bit with the heat,

Peter

peter

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #138 on: March 27, 2010, 03:36:55 pm »

Thank you for all your thoughts.  It is only the pulpit I was referring to as well as the ones on the flying bridge. Going to have a go on these today.

Can I ask some question please.  Are the side deck rail tops made of flexible wire ?

How are the  kick boards attached to the deck, as the leverage of the attached stanchions will be excessive ?

Ken

The side rails from the steps forward are both flexible cable and the stern rails are rigid, same as on the Trent.

On the Trent  I am building I have bolted the kick boards through the deck with 3mm bolts, then filled the heads to improve the looks. The stanchions were then bolted to the kick boards with 12BA nuts and bolts. This is a very strong fixing and with the silver soldered stern rails the whole boat can be lifted by the rails with no problems at all! The side stanchions are also bolted on to the kick boards in the same way.

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2010, 11:58:35 am »

Thank you Mike, that's perfect. Solves my problems here beautifully. I like the pictures as it says it all.

Cheers

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2010, 12:06:50 pm »

I normally build on a template of ply but the deck is ok set the hight use a bit of bakers fluid and a very small torch as, you have to be careful if you use an iron as they tend to move, I have found a small fine flame works great don't forget to put a few metal bulldog clips on the solder joint at the top to stop them getting soft if you overdo it a bit with the heat.
Peter

Thank you for that peter. Very helpful indeed. I shall be going shopping now.

I have progressed with the welding and have completed some of the upper bridge deck surrounds. Will be tackling the inner rails today. Really getting the hang of this construction 'lark' now and feeling confident.

ken

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #141 on: March 29, 2010, 09:50:42 am »

Vundabar! Kenny  :-)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2010, 07:49:13 pm »

As you can imagine, this is taking up an awful lot of brass tube to make these rails. I went out yesterday and bought another £60 worth of the stuff. It's amazing where it all goes. I've even had to buy a gas refill tube for my little welding torch

Today I made the rear rails and started on the side ones for the steps. I've just placed them on at the moment to get the general effect.

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2010, 07:53:58 pm »

I've also finished off the top of the Ariel mast and fitted the down supports to the deck of the flying bridge.

ken

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: April 01, 2010, 07:30:46 am »

Ken says....... "I went out yesterday and bought another £60 worth of the stuff" mmmmmm but the result is worth it Ken.....great rails & a clean & straight soldering job ......Derek :-))
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: April 01, 2010, 10:44:24 am »

Thank you Derek. Yes, solder.  Now there's another expense.   %)  Surprisingly light for all that metal. Let's hope she floats.

Day off today as the knees are playing up. Nice quiet day visiting relatives.   ok2

ken

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #146 on: April 01, 2010, 11:09:02 am »

Kenny it's sad when the paint goes on the brass work, all the work seems to disappear I have been painting some of the fireboat bits I did and a week of work could have been a white metal part just glued together.

but it is nice working in brass, so its a Lath next then Kenny?.

Peter

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: April 01, 2010, 11:34:01 am »

Oh dear ....Ken says "Nice quiet day visiting relatives" .... do you mean a visit by the the Easter Bunny this weekend Ken???????.... :embarrassed: ;D O0 {-) %%

Oh BTW I like the constant radius with the tube work as achieved with your home made tube bender ....the result is  :-))

As I have mentioned here on Mayhem to Nick@Monahan........nothing is better to see than true....vertical & horizontal tube work....however nothing is worse than bent curvey spaghetti tubing ...... {:-{ - Derek  
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: April 02, 2010, 11:20:53 am »

Kenny it's sad when the paint goes on the brass work, all the work seems to disappear I have been painting some of the fireboat bits I did and a week of work could have been a white metal part just glued together.

but it is nice working in brass, so its a Lath next then Kenny?.

Peter

How true.  I mentioned this to my good lady and she agrees with you. Why not have it as polished brass.   O0...  it would certainly look OK,  until the time came to re polish them. 

ken

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: April 02, 2010, 11:31:44 am »

Oh dear ....Ken says "Nice quiet day visiting relatives" .... do you mean a visit by the the Easter Bunny this weekend Ken???????.... :embarrassed: ;D O0   

Back to the real world. It's quite "Mayhem " out there.  My goodness, the grandchild was quite energetic. Great fun playing with a modern Plasticine substance called 'Play doh'.   (had thoughts of 'how can I use this stuff in my hobby?)

Oh BTW I like the constant radius with the tube work as achieved with your home made tube bender ....the result is  :-))    Derek  

Thank you. I guess it's all about the final look, and I wanted it right.  The little machine is encouraging to use as it does come out as desired. ;)  Seems a pity to paint it  (see above)

ken

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.