Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: TRV1A Problems  (Read 13166 times)

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
TRV1A Problems
« on: January 06, 2010, 07:23:55 pm »

Hi all, asking for help, cannot get my TRV1A to run, have followed the instructions to the letter, tried resetting the timing 180 degrees removed, still no joy. Am a bit baffled as to why steam goes through he system when it is in neutral though, thought it should stop with the valves set to neutral..

Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
Re: TRV1A Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 07:43:15 pm »

Hi Andy,

Okay, looks like you have become a little confused. I've never made the TVR1A, but it is a standard slide valve engine (?).

There is no neutral position on a twin cylinder engine- if one valve is at 'exhaust' (typically with the corresponding cylinder at 85-90% at the end of it's stroke, giving slight compression and quieter running) then the other valve will be just entering admission on the opposite stroke.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 07:56:46 pm »

It is a slide valve engine, but try as I might I cannot get it to run, spent about 16 hours just fiddling with the timing, i know that is probably what the problem is.

Underpressure

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 08:12:59 pm »

I don't (yet) have a TVR1A, but  do have the assembly booklet. It looks like there are two adjustments that could cause you trouble; one is the position of the eccentrics that operate the slide valve the other is the throw or position of the valves.

Sorry if this takes you over ground you have already covered, but have you turned the engine over by hand, with the the timing chest covers removed. It is pretty easy to see what is going on and to work out if the valves are doing what they should, when they should.

Can you give us a bit more detail of what the engine is or isn't doing. Apart from the blindingly obvious fact that it is not running  <*< (sorry).

Neil

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 09:55:46 pm »

Ok, lets see if we can talk you through it.......... %%

Starting from one end and working toward the other-

If you roatate the shaft clockwise with the valve covers off as Neil suggested-

The eccentric closest to you, with the nearest piston at TDC, should be at the end of it's exhaust stroke and about 5deg into admitting steam into the top of the cylinder. The other piston, if it's a 90deg. crankshaft, should be at midpoint through it'stroke, with it's valve coming to the end of it's admission (and possibly beginning to turn to exhaust depending on the lap and lead of the valve- you really don't want to know about that until you've got your engine going!!!).

Every engine varies slightly, but a .5deg. adjustment here and there will get you there eventually.

Greg

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 10:04:20 pm »

I find if I turn the fly wheel it will almost run, but not keep going, the engine feels fairly free, I've felt  a stiffer engine which which ran very well. The eccentrics seem to slip slightly on the original settings, the grub screws are very small. Will try a bit more running in with a battery drill and try again, I really can't see any reason for it not running.

Andy

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 10:19:03 pm »

Have you tightened the main bearings too tight? Or the valve/cylinder bottom glands? Plenty of oil in there? You havn't made the apprentices mistake (longshot here) of timing each valve to the opposite cylinder- so it looks right- but in fact each cylinder is running against each other?

Greg

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 11:39:44 pm »

sorry to ask, but have you got the steam and exhaust the right way round? Pressure into the valve chests to keep the valve pressed against the port face? Still waiting for mine - left USA 27/12.

nick_75au

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 12:14:28 am »

I think he means neutral on the reversing gear,
I had a similar problem with mine,
I could get it to run only with excessive pressure and roughly at that, one cylinder was fighting the other at certain points even following the instructions to the letter. I gave it to a steam guru and he discovered the valve retaining collar on the valve rod inside the steam chest is loctited, a touch of silver solder and it runs nicely now.

Nick

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 09:04:14 am »

Have you tightened the main bearings too tight? Or the valve/cylinder bottom glands? Plenty of oil in there? You havn't made the apprentices mistake (longshot here) of timing each valve to the opposite cylinder- so it looks right- but in fact each cylinder is running against each other?

Greg
The main bearings were tight, I shimmed two of them to loosen the crank, it was tight when just screwed to its base, the crank assembly then ran nicely on its own. The engine doesn't seem that tight now. its had plenty of running in with the hand drill. I had thought of the timing issue you mention, will check again. I done the timing so many times I can't remember what I have and haven't done, but It does seem correct. Maybe it would be better to run the crank in on its own before assembling the top end.

Andy

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 09:08:01 am »

sorry to ask, but have you got the steam and exhaust the right way round? Pressure into the valve chests to keep the valve pressed against the port face? Still waiting for mine - left USA 27/12.

Yes thats all correct, I know its the stupid things that can be overlooked.
Andy

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 09:13:00 am »

I think he means neutral on the reversing gear,
I had a similar problem with mine,
I could get it to run only with excessive pressure and roughly at that, one cylinder was fighting the other at certain points even following the instructions to the letter. I gave it to a steam guru and he discovered the valve retaining collar on the valve rod inside the steam chest is loctited, a touch of silver solder and it runs nicely now.

Nick

I wish I had a steam guru near me (South Wales near Cardiff) I would be there like a shot, there is only so many times you can run through the timing. I am beginning to wonder wether to strip it and start again, though I don't really see the point, just that I may have missed something.

Andy

geoff p

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 10:55:08 am »

Two ideas which may help:
Have you an air compressor - when 'debugging' my (home made) engine I found it was much easier to do on air.  You can vary the pressure much easier than on steam AND everything stays cool-enough to fiddle without burning your fingers.

Can you disconnect one cylinder, so as to work on just one end at a time, thereby halving the problem?

Geoff

south steyne

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 11:07:35 am »

Hi maybe try to get one cylinder working with the second cylinder eccentric disconnected and the valve at the top of its stroke , once you get it running on one cylinder you can then move the valve on the second cylinder and should then feel the pressure of the stroke and assuming you are using air you will feel exactly when the second piston is is on the downward stroke I have been up close with these little engines and the are sweet runners when everything is spot on also not a good idea to run in with a drill simply because the valve faces can become damaged due to no pressure against the face in fact some early models had a spring in the valve chest lightly pressing against the valve for that reason ,also wonder why the crankshaft is tight maybe a good place to start and get things free as i am sure they should not need forced running in hope this helps
John

kno3

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 12:11:01 pm »

If you check all the factors already mentioned, also have a look at the seating of the slide valves. Did you prepare the valve faces and the port faces on the cylinder with fine sandpaper as per instructions?
As they come from the factory the slide valves can fit the on valve rod quite tight. If this is the case, they won't sit flat on the cylinder face, which means they won't be steam tight. The slide valve should be just a tiny bit loose on the valve rod. Check it and if needed file carefully the recess in the slide valve where the rod fits, so it doesn't fit tight on the rob. You don't want any play there either, just a loose fit, so the valve falls on the cylinder face by itself (when holding the cylinder horizontally).

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 04:07:09 pm »

UPDATE.
Stripped the valve gear, re lapped the vavle slider, reset the timing marginally, fired up the steam, the engine wouldn't self start, and it wouldn't run on less than 20psi, (model boiler gauge). There is still a tight spot on the engine, and all my gaskets on the steam chests now leak steam slightly, not much, but still too much, disturbed too many times I think, the seat to the cylinders and valve chest is good, (lapped).
Adjusted the valve sliders slightly with the engine running and got the engine running a bit smoother, but not perfect. All in all the running was lumpy, certainly not smooth enough for me., any way it wouldn't self start, so whats the point in having two cylinders if you still have to spin the fly wheel. I'm a bit peeved because I took my time sorting the bottom end, but there is still something causing a tight spot. I saw one of these engines running on air before I bought mine, and that was tighter, but it ran smoothly, so I'm still thinking its timing that is the the main problem.

I think the next stage is to strip the top from the bottom, and re check the crank, for tight spots AGAIN. And take it from there, rebuild from the bottom up.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 04:10:55 pm »

Two ideas which may help:
Have you an air compressor - when 'debugging' my (home made) engine I found it was much easier to do on air.  You can vary the pressure much easier than on steam AND everything stays cool-enough to fiddle without burning your fingers.

Can you disconnect one cylinder, so as to work on just one end at a time, thereby halving the problem?

Geoff
No , I haven't got an air compressor, right at this moment would give my right hand for one. So its a pain doing anything, wait for steam pressure, run things ,adjust as much as possible, then let it all cool and start again.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 05:13:09 pm »

Hi Andy,

This is annoying me now, so I can't imagine how exasperated you're becoming :o

Stick with it!!!!

New gaskets can be made from thick newspaper and a very thin mix of varnish and oil- can't be dissassembled without destroying though so you'll have to wait 'till youv'e got her running before re-newing them.

As much as I can't comment on the qaulity of the manufacture- I've never built one or seen one in the flesh- i've only heard good things about them, however, if you've followed the instructions to the letter and you feel you havn't missed anything and is all assembled correctly, then i'm left wondering if there is a discrepency in the manufacture?

Perhaps check that the piston rods are the same length?
What are the pistons sealed with- o-rings?

On a different tangent- are you sure enough steam is getting to the valves if it's only stiff on steam, not when turned over by hand?

Does it do a couple of rev's before sticking?

Have you discerned where it's sticking- even which side of the engine?

Greg

kno3

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 06:45:23 pm »

No , I haven't got an air compressor, right at this moment would give my right hand for one. So its a pain doing anything, wait for steam pressure, run things ,adjust as much as possible, then let it all cool and start again.

I have used an air foot pump (for car tyres) when I was adjusting my TVR1A. Doing it on steam is much more difficult as you have to wait for the engine to cool before touching it etc.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2010, 10:13:52 pm »

Got it going well now in one direction, nice and sweet, but a bit lumpy in the other direction, now the problem is the tiny screws on the valve gear keep coming undone, so its lock tight when all is sorted. And yes when it stops its always the same place, when one cylinder is top dead centre, still needs almost 20 psi to start, and over 20psi the lumpy way.

Andy

south steyne

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 10:24:56 pm »

Hi your engine must be run in on air as stated in the manual as the clearances are not enough to allow expansion of steam even the oil will will interupt the "o rings causing unseen problems
John

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 10:35:20 pm »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Yey!

OK, I would suggest the most minute changes in the eccentrics till you get her running sweet in both directions.

Check the piston if possible- take the cylinder cover off and see if the bore is scored in any place- if not take the piston out and check the piston ring.

Will need quite a lot of pressure until it's run in properly.

Greg

Underpressure

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 07:57:09 am »

Andy, I guess this is not what you had in mind when people told you that you would have 'endless hours of fun with a steam engine'  >>:-(

Well done for your perseverance, it's nice to be rewarded with a running engine.

Neil

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 09:04:31 am »

Looking at things this morning, its all cool and a lot more free, can't be far off now, will check the valve chests today and see if there is any difference making it run sweet one way and rough the other. I'll look back at this post in future and laugh. Just keep running it, going to a friends garage tomorrow, he understands steam and has compressed air so we will see.

Andy

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 09:07:53 am »

Hi your engine must be run in on air as stated in the manual as the clearances are not enough to allow expansion of steam even the oil will will interupt the "o rings causing unseen problems
John

Unfortunately I don't have air, I have thought of the pumped up tyre thing, may try that, but the engine is a lot sweeter this morning to turn by hand.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.