Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Heli's?  (Read 5642 times)

andyn

Heli's?
« on: January 08, 2010, 10:12:06 pm »

How many heli pilots (current or given up) do we have out there? Just bought my first, an Esky Honeybee V2. It's got full cyclic but fixed pitch. Supposed to be the dog's danglers for learning electric heli's on. After this I'll probably have a T-rex, always liked them  O0 If I'm any good at flying it that is, but seeing as I passed my A test after about 2 months I don't think there's going to be much of a problem (hopefully)

Andy  8)

john j

Re: Heli's?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 02:33:04 am »

Yeah, i`m still a very active heli flyer, started flying helicopters around 1985, flew in F3C at national level for a few years in the mid 90`s although i have no experience with the very small electric stuff i`m afraid. The only electric heli i have is the 450 size miniature aircraft x-cell furion  :-))

john

timsenecal

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 05:51:29 am »

I have a few of the micro coaxials, and a bone stock trex 450

Patrick Henry

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 09:07:20 am »

Here's my Perkins Skylift Chinook lookalike...so stable it almost hovers itself, very easy to fly around the front room. I modified mine, added a forward facing searchlamp and a hi-viz anti-collision beacon at the rear.

andyn

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 09:41:44 am »

Do please pst some pics John  O0

How you getting on with it then Rich?

Patrick Henry

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 09:58:05 am »

Apart from flying backwards into me wotsits once  <:( ...I had no problems at all with it. Just sold it a few days back with a view to buying maybe another Shuttle or possibly a T Rex. I was thinking of a Blade, but they are pretty small...six feet away and I'd never see it.

The Chinook was great outdoors, it looked really good emerging from behind the rubbish bin compound with the searchlamp blazing...next door's cat didn't agree though.  :P

andyn

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 02:56:16 pm »

Direct part for part copies of the T-rex and other heli's. SHHHHHHHH don't tell anyone.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_listCategoriesAndProducts.asp?idCategory=320

If you buy one do please tell me what it's like and I'll be VERY quick to follow  ;)

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 04:23:02 pm »

Hi Guys.
I have the twister skylift Chinook, and a Mini Titan E325 SE, the one with the all metal rota head and tail parts etc and its beutifully made. I have also got the full scale AH1W Cobra fuselage to fit once I get more competent.
Regards Sub.

andyn

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 05:16:06 pm »

The Honeybee has just been out for a test around our tiny little patio, I made some training skids from carbon tubes and art shop polysyrene balls, seems to work quite nicely. Had to give up after a few hops though because my fingers were about to drop off....

:-))

john j

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 07:47:00 pm »

I dont have a digital camera i`m afraid, i have to post pictures taken from my phone at the moment.
I`ll post some of the little furion if your interested  :-))

Patrick Henry

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 07:50:12 pm »

What are they doing...mating?

john j

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 08:02:23 pm »

What are they doing...mating?

Hope not.......there father and son  {-) {-) {-) {-)

Patrick Henry

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 08:05:51 pm »

{-)  {-)  {-)  {-) :-))

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 07:09:02 pm »

How many heli pilots (current or given up) do we have out there? Just bought my first, an Esky Honeybee V2. It's got full cyclic but fixed pitch. Supposed to be the dog's danglers for learning electric heli's on. After this I'll probably have a T-rex, always liked them  O0 If I'm any good at flying it that is, but seeing as I passed my A test after about 2 months I don't think there's going to be much of a problem (hopefully)

Andy  8)

I tried learning with one of those... fixed pitch is not the best to learn on in my opinion, I found collective pitch to be much easier.  Also buy the training gear (looks like 4 ping pong balls on sticks) it will save you a fortune in spares lol
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

andyn

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 09:22:23 pm »

I went off to the model shop to get some training gear saturday, but they didn't have any. Instead I went off to the art shop down the road and bought some polystyrene balls, and used some carbon rod I already had to make the gear. Total cost - £1.29 :-))

It's had a couple of short hops out on our tiny little patio (about 8x8'), but I had it going round in circles, going forward back and side to side etc. All seems well but it's a little out of trim, shall have to be sorted when I get it in the sports hall  O0

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 04:32:51 pm »

andyn why dont you put some long balloons on the bottom them you can take off and land on the lake!!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

andyn

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 05:16:21 pm »

Can anyway at the moment, it's currently a large ice cube...

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 06:52:55 pm »

i got 2 x medivac twisters and a honey bee v2 as well....used to do kyosho concept 30 full ball raced etc and a a mfa hughes 500!! great fun for pranging as the parts were cheap!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

fooman2008

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 06:35:41 am »

Bought myself a Blade CXI a few years ago spent a lot of time crashing it and rebuilding it (most of the drive train is now aluminum after being replaced at least once).  Last year I fell into a slightly used Blade MCX, everyone had raved about how easy it is to fly and not have to fix all the time.  It is great, I put a few flights on it and literally handed it to my 8 year old daughter.  The gyro keeps it stable so all you have to do is let go of the sticks and it will stop moving and return to a pretty stable hover.  She crashed it a few times but never managed to hurt it.  It is way too light to fly outside but it is fun and easy to learn the basics of helo flying.  I finally dropped the radio one day and it quit (which is why the other guy had had it for consignment at the LHS).  My bride has told me that I can buy a new Blade CXIII (same drive train and replacement parts as the CXI, which I have plenty of) and the radio (2.4 GHZ) as the MCX, so I can still fly the little one in small places and take the CXIII to the high school gym or outside on a really calm day.
Foo

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 03:04:09 pm »

I tried helicopters - starting with a Hummingbird when they were hugely expensive, hovering and basic circuits were fine but being fixed pitch had problems landing properly at the end of a 'flight' - when the head speed diminished it got a little un-predictable and often tumbled out of the sky......

Then for a stocking filler a couple of Christmasses ago was given a Picooz - great fun when a bit of nose weight was added.

This year I've done really well, eldest Daughter bought me a 'Stig-copter' (co-axial with a horizontal tail rotor) flies a dream round the house, stable and heaps of fun.
My dear lady wife bought me a Blade MSR - not yet flown due to inclement weather outside and I'm a bit too worried to fly in the house....and my indoor car racing venue has been closed since before christmas....

john j

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 10:42:46 pm »

Hi andy,

pics of the little furion as promised

cheers
         john

andyn

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 02:32:42 pm »

Very nice, thanks. Love the blade grips O0

Just about to take on a belt cp (someone's selling one cheap)

andyn

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 11:32:47 pm »

Well I've just got my second, a HK-450. Got a nice shiney ally rotor head and tail unit, just now need to be paid so I can order a new main gear, lipo's and Tx for it.

chingdevil

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2010, 07:02:27 pm »

Andy
Bring it to Wicksteed I will make a flat top springer for you to land it on :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Brian

andyn

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2010, 09:38:10 pm »

I'll certainly try landing the honeybee on it, I've seen people use kids' armbands as floats :-))
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.