Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2.4 GHz Question, for the radio frequency Gurus  (Read 1912 times)

nick_75au

2.4 GHz Question, for the radio frequency Gurus
« on: January 09, 2010, 12:45:40 pm »

Can the signal from a 2.4 GHz wireless camera be sent up the same coax as a 2.4Ghz rx, say over 5 metres to an aerial.

Nick

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
Re: 2.4 GHz Question, for the radio frequency Gurus
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 12:52:26 pm »

It can, but you will need a suitable set of combiners and splitters of the right characteristic impedance. Better and cheaper to use two coax cables and two antennae.

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi

nick_75au

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 04:43:33 am »

Thanks Wombat,
2 Coax is not going to work, Its for the Neptune Submarine, I have in the pats run 36Mhz radio signal down and standard 75 Ohm camera signal up a coax for a ROV project, I am no longer in contact with the gentleman who designed the splitter circuit for that.

The ROV has become the Neptune, how about 36 Mhz and 2.4 Ghz transmitted from/to an antenna on a bouy with coax from the bouy to the sub? It would be nice to have a wireless link. though I do have  about a kilometre of RG174 coax :}

Reason being most of the clear water near by is saltwater and I want better than a couple of inches range.
Thanks Nick

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 11:55:53 am »

Sending signals both ways on one coax is very possible, but like Wombat says, it really does need a splitter/combiner at each end.  For this to work reliably, the power offered at both ends needs to be comparable, which implies a receiver/booster in the radio control bit.  There would, for simplicity's sake (!), need to be both a separate aerial for send and receive. If the two signals were widely separated in frequency, the input circuits MIGHT separate out the unwanted signal generated by the output being fed into them.  Both might would need some impedance matching to work with the chosen cable. 
All this is just musings thinking back to the odd bits of line transmission theory I had to do at tech about 45 years ago.  Back then GigaHertz hadn't even made it into Science Fiction, let alone the classroom.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.