Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mistral Pleasure Cruiser, anyone familiar with these plans?  (Read 11207 times)

The Antipodean

Mistral Pleasure Cruiser, anyone familiar with these plans?
« on: January 10, 2010, 11:26:02 pm »

I have recently aquired a set of these plans, 4 sheets, huge scale.
They seem to be in some Slavic language and was wondering if anybody was familiar with these plans or knows of where I can get a copy of the build guidein English?

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
Re: Mistral Pleasure Cruiser, anyone familiar with these plans?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 01:25:56 am »

look's very much like the bluebird of chelsea.

peter

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 01:28:13 am »

there are lots of coppies of the bluebird plan about, as it was given free with model boats some years ago and there is a detailed build as well.

peter

The Antipodean

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 01:45:46 am »

I have a 1/12 scale set of Bluebird of Chelsea plans, no build guide though.
I thought this was an interesting looking boat as it has an unusual shape to the wheelhouse and some interesting features towards the stern.
From what I can figure out it will be one huge boat.

BigDutch

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 01:06:43 am »

I currently am building Mistral to 1/12th scale and it really looks little like Bluebird which I've just blown my plans up to 1/12th also. Talk about coincidence! Do you have the construction articles for BC by David Metcalfe that were published in Model Boats in the early 90's? I've been trying to locate copies. Will be taking some digitals of my progress so far tomorrow so can furnish you with them if you so desire. Mistral was a project in a russian model magazine some years prior to 2000 and some plans are on the freeshipplansblogspot and also monokai or something like that.

The Antipodean

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 12:51:54 pm »

The plans from freeshipplans are the ones I have.
It is an interesting model and I have had the plans next to my Bluebird of Chelsea plans and the similarity is very interesting.

MichaelK

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 01:53:22 am »

Hi Mr Antipodean,
I've just (almost!) finished building the Mistral.
I'll try and post a photo of Matilda's maiden voyage
I took the plans to drafting shop and had them converted to pdf files, and re-scaled them to about 1/16 scale.
If you like, I can send them to you.
As it was my first ever build of any sort of model anything, I just jumped in the deep end and made the ship out of 3 pieces of ply and a few odds and sods.
Mick

The Antipodean

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 03:40:13 am »

That is a great looking boat you have there Michael.
I like your style, make what you want out of what you have, it is how I have to work it here.

Thanks for the offer of the plans, I won't be needing them for a long time though, I have 3 builds on the go now with 2 more planned for when I finish at least 2.

I look forward to more photos of your Matilda as she comes spends more time on the water.

vintagent

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 05:07:08 pm »

Oh it's so good to see people making models of delicious cruisers, especially the older ones.

Clearly that isn't Bluebird of Chelsea, though very similar, but of course that was very much the case at that time.
Just as the cars of every age look similar, so do boats, aircraft, etc. pretty much.
That is also redolent of a James Silver and almost any larger Thorneycroft.

Good luck with it. I wouldn't waste time looking for English build guides, but just get on and build it to "yer average" plank on frame type of carvel construction.

Look forward to a build guide on here!
Regards,
Vintagent

vintagent

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 06:12:45 pm »

I've just seen a boat very much like this one in my copy of the Dunkirk Little Ships book.
I'll check it out and let you know which boat it is.

Regards,
Vintagent

knoby

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 06:33:00 pm »

It could be Bluebird herself as she was at Dunkirk

vintagent

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 07:39:07 pm »

She was indeed, knoby, but she is a seperate entry.

The two boats I saw which look very similar to Mistral are Ona II by Staniland & Co. and Minehaha by J.S.White of Cowes.
Both look very similar to Mistral and to Bluebird and indeed to each other and other boats in the book of that era and class including several by James Silver, Gibbs and Osbornes of Littlehampton.  It would be very difficult to tell a boat exactly unless proven identifiable photos were found.

A long trawl through Motor Boat and Yachting magazine would almost certainly have found it, but, alas, Basildon Council has put the kybosh on any such pursuits by preremptorilly shutting down the National Power Boat museum there last December in favour of mud huts on the grass.
All one can hope is that the library will be removed in whole to the Reading Room at the "other" place.

Regards,
Vintagent

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 08:01:53 pm »

The flag shown on Mistral plans is the  Czechoslovakian flag. Nederlander was refering to www.mo-na-ko.net site I think. Hope this helps.
..well can you land on this?

vintagent

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 10:56:11 am »

I wish I'd learned some Czech from my workmates when I was in Germany!

The plans do look very English though.  Can anyone make out what it says in the title panel bottom right. Even in Czech it would give the builders' name in English presumably.

The type is very common with only the number of ports varying along the sides of the bow and slight differences in the wheelhouse shape.
Whatever she is, those plans will enable a nice model to be built as they appear to have all the lines necessary.

Good luck in building it.

I'd like some drawings of a typical Thorneycroft High Prow cruiser, single screw, about 30 ft.  My uncle had one on the Essex coast for years, which my Dad did a lot of work on.  We used to go out on trips to the Buxey boy and back on her and stay aboard all weekend.  She had been a Dunkirk Little Ship.  She had the plaque in the wheelhouse "Dunkirk-1940" and a newspaper cutting showing her remarkable acheivement of bringing back 40 men, but alas is not in the Little Ships Association,  presumably lost after we all lost touch.  I've tried to find her, but with no luck.  She was called "Truant", registered in London, but with whom?
Amazingly I now find that the other boat I spent a lot of time on at Paglesham, the Vanguard, was also a Dunkirk Little Ship.
We knew the Keeble family well and all my early model boating was done on their oyster beds, which are now derelict and even quite hard to find, but what's left of my uncle's large dinghy is still there and wherever I played with my Sea Urchin or Crash Tender now has delicious Samphire growing which I go back and pick sometimes.
In the next rill is what's left of HMS Beagle, Darwin's boat, which ended up a Customs base.

Last I heard, the new owners of what was Shuttlewood's yard won't let people even walk on the seawall.
Just as well I no longer live that way on or I'd be causing trouble!

Regards,
Vintagent

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 11:55:54 am »

Vint,You have PM.
..well can you land on this?

The Antipodean

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 01:00:11 pm »

Here is the legend for you. If you can translate that then thankyou in advance.

vintagent

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 02:12:34 pm »

Ah, so the legend says "F-2A, which sounds very Naviga, doesn't it?

And the Konstrukcia, which must be builders, is accompanied by Czech names, so all we need to know is are they Czech MODEL builders or the original builders of the vessel, full size?

I'd plump for the latter option.  Which must make it a Czech boat?

Regards,
Vintagent

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 05:48:56 pm »

Based on just the dimensions...

Length 1290mm ?
Beam.... 292mm ?
draught.. 80mm ?

I would say it's a plan for model...  ok2

vintagent

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 06:35:53 pm »

Haha!  yes, you may have a point there!
I still go blind when I see metric of more than two digits!

Nonetheless it must still be a drawing of a real boat.  Even the name is sort of English with a French tinge.

Regards,
Vintagent

BigDutch

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 12:03:46 am »

I am way over 1 year on my 1/12th scale of Mistral. Keep having interruptions from some chap in Combs tempting me with rumors of obscure plans and such. But here is a progress photo from about 6 months ago. Power is twin 970's on Octura 3 blade scale props. Ships boat is Midwest Kit. Sorry but I got lazy there. Well my security software blocked me from posting the image so I will try to post it somewhere else and send the link back.

BigDutch

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 12:34:00 am »

OK, I've posted several in progress images on my yahoogroups site, classicwoodenboatmodels. The folder is under Photos>Mistral build and it might be reachable from here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/classicwoodenboatmodels/photos/album/1555335006/pic/list

Please bear in mind that this is the first boat I've built in nearly 20 years for one thing and for another, the aged recliner behind it has some very desirable leather which will make great seats in some or another boat. Secondly and perhaps more important is the dratted thing weighs a ton and neither I nor any of my old fart neighbors want to carry it to the curb; at least not in one piece..... We might hurt ourselves and well this O'Care thing has us worried..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.